Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Retired Community Manager

I would catch-up overdue credit card bills, invest in tax lien certificates, and take a well-deserved vacation with family!

0 Kudos
Contributor

My husband & I play the game "if we won the lotto". We woiuld buy a home for ourselves and our boys, paid in full. A Jeep Grand Cherokee fully loaded, set up education funds for our grandkids and retirirement funds for our boys. There would be trips to Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand and Australia. We would give money to our brothers to make their retirement more comfortable. We would love to have money to give to those who need it more than we do.

0 Kudos

Pay off my bills buy a house and take a vaca with my hubby haven't had a real vacay since he got sick
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

If i got a sudden windfall of money, i would first pay off my debt, then purchase me a new car and bank the rest if there was any left.

0 Kudos
Contributor

in my opinion $20,000,000 it is is what I consider a windfall of money the lottery guess I'm just waiting for a dream. but what I do with that amount of money. I would take $500,000and purchase CDs setting up a CD accounts. I would then split the money with my family members 2 million dollars a piece. I would take the rest of the money and invest in my god kids setting up Trust Fund for each of them with a lot of the money I would build a business electronics and electrical a sales shop I would employ would be able to employ over 100 people half of them would be homeless pretty or at least the homeless people that actually want to work for a living and actually want to better their lives there's a lot of things that I would do with this kind of money just need the chance to do it
0 Kudos
Contributor

pay off credit cards & pay down mortgage; possibly make improvements to the house
0 Kudos

Buy a houseboat and spend as much time on it as possible, share the rest with family and friends!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay for a mouthful of dental implants for my husband who was born with a severe calcium deficiency. His teeth are rotting and he has already lost several. Cost in the states is just too much for us to pay. If we do anything for him we will be going to Costa Rica where there are medical resorts. Doctors from Johns Hopkins Hospital work there and provide the surgery and implants for far less than it would cost here at home.

0 Kudos

I would pay tithes, set some aside, and take a small trip with my kids.
Contributor

Excellent; tithes first! 🙂

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay off my mortgage and travel......

0 Kudos
Contributor

First, I'd may bring my tithes into the Storehouse and give and offering. Then I would purchase my mother's house back from reverse mortgage status. She is being tortured by the company, RMS.

I would purchase good computers for my church's computer lab.

Then I would pay for my daughter's college education being this Fall 2014, where we have applied for loans....

I am praying for a windfall; how did you know? 🙂

0 Kudos

I lost my husband in February of 2007 so I lost half of my income.  Then 19 months (Oct '08) after he passed I was let go of my job.  Since then I've held three temporary PT jobs with NO bennies.  I've had to dip into my savings to pay the bills.  If I had a sudden windfall of money I would pay off my bills, fix up my house to sell it, then buy an RV and travel.  Yes I'm still trying to find a job at this writing just to pay the bills.  But at age 59 it seems no one wants to hire an older EXPERIENCED employee.  I hope my savings will last till I can apply for widow benefits.  If not I don't know what I will do.  I am NOT one to borrow money from family OR friends.  Even $20. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Sset aside money for better retirement (which would be starting pronto!) , to never have to worry about that. Then travel every state of the USA see what I want to see of the USA, then buy a farm in the  area I live in and open a a dog rescue.

Build homes on the property for my brothers and their wives.  We were separated for 40 yrs and I would love to have them living nearby. Eveyone could live with less worry and spend our later years making up for time lost! Also would have a children's and geriatric program with the  animals. Ahhh Utopian dreams! 🙂

0 Kudos

I would use it to finance my Houses Rehab business that I have insted of using Private Hard Money Lenders.

Speaking of which, I was wondering....does anybody know any private hard money lenders?
I have a lot of properties that I would love to flip, but I don't have financing to do it.

Please let me know if you do.

liaspriggs@gmail.com

Thank you all.

Lia

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay for baby girls college education so she would not be bogged down with loans when she graduates.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would move immediately to a beatiful lake and live there forever.

0 Kudos
Contributor

First thank God! Second I would pay our bills off, make sure the kids were set financially! Then travel, buy a new home and invest in a second property, give to ministries, and charities. What a blessing it would be!😄
0 Kudos
Contributor

First, I would payoff my mortgage on my condo so all I would have to pay is my whopping condo fee. Decorate my home the way I have always wanted and then I would buy a new car and go on a trip out west to see all the places I have always dreamed of seeing.  I would take my best friend with me who has done so much for me and has so little and give her a home of her own.  Anything else I would save for whatever comes

0 Kudos
Contributor

Put it in the bank to build up for retirement.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay off our house, help the kids, help Wounded Warriors and tons of Random Acts of Kindness!!  Pay it forward.  🙂

0 Kudos

I would pay off my credit cards with about 20,000.00 and the rest (if there is more) would be put in a no-load stock fund.    My social security amount is great to live on if the card payments are gone.   Life would be a lot easier...

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

well,that depends on exactly how much we're talking about here.if i won the 8 million lottery.1ST id pay the taxes,,then buy some land and have a home built on it that'll accommodate my mom sister 1 of my brothers and me.then id take my mom on a well deserved vacation trip while she can still go on one.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would do two things first I would get my business running real profitable. Then I would open my non profit organization. If you get a windfall you must do something to make sure you keep the money coming in.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Donate money to some children's hospitals. Surprise some people who need help with an envelope with cash.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

First thing........wife would quit her job! She loves to work, but enough money could definitely change THAT feeling. After that: payoff all bills, travel, buy a home (w/a boat dock) next to a nice lake, buy a NEW boat, buy a new Sebring Touring Convertible AND invest money. NO body enhancement surgeries.......just isn't us!

0 Kudos

I would definitely pay off our home along with paying my tithes, student loans, catch up on bills and take a long cruise too relax.

0 Kudos
Contributor

At 65 years old, with no bills outstanding, but having had a large amount of our savings eaten up by medical bills, a windfall would go to the bank , or broker, to assure a more comfortable retirement.

0 Kudos
Contributor

First pay the taxes on it, then a significant amount goes to well researched charity, then I would take my adult children and their partners on a trip.  I am content  - not rich by a long shot, but not really poor either.  For the past several years I have simplified my life and have very few wants, and I am happy. Therefore the extras come in forms of time spent with the people important to me. 

0 Kudos

Invest a large portion in gold
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP