Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Retired Community Manager

Conversationalist

Depending on how much, I would certainly share with members of my family, and give money to charities of my choosing.  As for myself, I would maybe travel, or buy a new car.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Give it all away.  

grandma to four
0 Kudos

I would invest, tear down my dilapidated garage & build a new one that I could park in, and pay forward
Contributor

Pay off mortgage, give kids a little bit to help them and be a secret Santa in my community.
0 Kudos

I would retire and open a bakery in a community that does not have one in the whole county. This would experiences to an area that's been lacking
0 Kudos
Contributor

Depends on how much the windfall is. If it is a very large windfall : I might stay a while longer at work to rub it in managements' noses(new Porsche, diamond jewelry, lunches ordered in, plans about my new business adventure, etc.)  I might help my coworkers so they could quit and give mgt. more headaches. LOL  I would find a nice condo somewhere and travel the world, help my children, start a business or philanthropy of my choice and do what I can to stay healthy, live long and enjoy life.  I would probably be like one of those anonymous people that put gold coins in SA boxes. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Right now I am disabled and it's not really easy for me to get around. I'm feeling and am really low on cash right now, but a woman can dream. If I got a windfall I would pay off all of my bills including my home and car loans. Then I would give my children money to pay off their bills. I would also love to go on a family trip. I would set up a Roth IRA for myself and my children. I would treat my parents too to something nice. I would love to be able to donate money to the local animal shelter and maybe give them a grant to lower the fees for adopting/sterilizing animals.
0 Kudos
Contributor

My brother and I would agree 100 percent.
0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Pay off all my family's bills then travel and do good for others

I would pay off all my billc and then buy a little house to live for the rest of my life give my kids their share!!!!
Contributor

Pay all debts
Travel
Charity
Repair and paint house inside and out
Renovate kitchen

I think about it often and if it ever happens I hope I can stick to my plan. I would pay my remaining creditors off, give some to church, family and friends. After that's done I would but some water front property, a new car, an airline ticket and lay on a beach France somewhere.
Contributor

Quit my job, pay my bills, travel... If I won enough...
0 Kudos

I was terminated from my job yesterday. There is no money in my account. We are behind on rent and facing eviction. This amount would come in handy. I have Diabetes and only have two bottles of insulin left..
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off my bills, complete my divorce, see if I could get better health insurance and pharmacy insurance, buy a great condo or loft for me and one for my daughter, join a dating site, sign up for ancestry.com, hire a housekeeper, visit my son and his family in Virginia, take a fabulous vacation in Hawaii and bring all my family along, hire a personal trainer for yoga, find a solution to my neck pain and other illnesses, then do some kind of volunteer work, and set up trust funds for my kids and grandkids.  This would have to be a lot of money.

0 Kudos
Contributor

First, I would tithe 10% to my church; after which I would have fam members as well as myself.

0 Kudos

If I were to get a large windfall I would look for a new house to live. A ranch, instead of an older 3 floor home. The steps are a killer now that my back is bad and my husbands. Also room so my father who is almost 87 could live with us.
I would also help my children who needed it, grandkids, and great. I have some friends who need a little help too.
It would be nice to be able to pay someone to help with work around the house and repairs too. Also to make sure there is money to take care of my dogs if anything would happen to me and my husband.
Some money for the poor and bank some. I guess I'm looking for a lot.
0 Kudos

Invested in my favorite stocks
0 Kudos

Having to retire early (health reasons) and going from a lucrative career to living on disability has given me a whole new appreciation of the true value of money. I would build a new home suited to my physical needs and limitations (all one level, for starters!), then set up trust funds for my children, give money to my church and save what I could for future needs...and to help others in need.

Pay off home and other major bills then enjoy life.

Regular Contributor

First I would donate to our church, set up a scholarship in my son's who passed away 6 years ago honor. Then I might help our other son with some bills. We live a somewhat quiet life now, are needs are not as bad as others.
Periodic Contributor

I'm a 63 year old disabled artist who recently lost my home & studio of 22 years and had to move to a basement apt 2 hours away from my brushes & tools, so even just enough money to set up a studio with a tiny living space would be a windfall to me. But in NYC that's not so easy.  My former landlord used a loophole to convince a judge to evict me so he could then rent my apt out for $4000+ a month. Because of the rush to get me out it took all of my savings to move and I had to leave behind thousands in art supplies and close to 3 years worth of work. I don't have space to work here and because of the long walk on both ends of a long train ride its almost impossible to bring in any money so I may be stuck here. But since this place costs more than I was paying before I am having difficulties keeping up the rent here and unless I can figure out how to get something going in a hurry I may lose this place. I was always able to pay the rent before but now I'm running out of options. So if anyone can share how one might find a windfall I'd be happy to share in a multitude of ways to spend it wisely and make it grow as well. Even have a great idea for a foundation for the artistically inclined who often find themselves in need of medical & dental assistance. I'm designing a new web site to showcase my work and will be including a section on several projects I'm hoping to finish that include a book on painting techniques and another on dealing with Celiac Disease, especially for those being diagnosed later in life (I was 50). There are 3 other projects that a small gust of wind would get off the ground. So any windfall could do this guy a lot of good and give him his life back at the same time. I hope all of your dreams come true too and your windfall does as much for you.

0 Kudos

I will be praying for you. At our age, we should not be put through these difficulties. I do hope your able to get back on your feet.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

If I had a windfall of money.  1) First thing I would do is give to my church, 2) Give to the animal shelters,  3) Give to the wounded warriors who have given so much for our country, then if I had enough left over, I would pay all our bills, and try live off whatever I had left over.  I already have more than enough, I have enough food, I have shelter, I llive in a place that I almost own.  What more do I need,  I will continue to pray for our President, the leaders of this wonderful country,I will continue to pray for all those who are in need and leave the rest in God's hands. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

First, I would pay off my student loans. Second, I would take care of my family. Third, nest egg it for retirement.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay-off my debts, tithe to my church, donate to Wounded Warrior Project & St. Jude Children's Hospital and then take a well deserved vacation with my children and grandchildren
0 Kudos
Contributor

Travel the world with my mother before her memory fails her from dementia
0 Kudos

Invest it, pay taxes, help grandchildren with college tuition

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Share with husband and daughter -- they are my fam

@AARPLynne wrote:

Would do nothing any different than I do 

now.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP