Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Retired Community Manager

Contributor

Pay all my bills, pay all my fiance's bill, pay all my kids' bills, take my european vacation to Ireland and Paris (I love that city). Then I'd start making a lot of homeless people happy. I love the guy who is hiding $50 bills all over his city. Would be a great incentive for people to clean up a city.

Periodic Contributor

It all depends on sudden windfall of money:  Pay off all debt and return to college and finish.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay off my mortgage, put money into my retirement IRA, mutual funds and a rainy day fund, set up a college fund for my grandchildren, take a nice vacation and put whats left into savings. You see I have no grandiose dreams of high living & wild spending; too old for shenanigans and foolishness.
0 Kudos

0 Kudos

I would pay off my house, all my debt, but a condo in Myrtle Beach and save the rest.
0 Kudos
Info Seeker

It would go towards eliminating as much debt as possible with the one luxury being a vacation for the wife and I since we haven't had one in quite a while.

0 Kudos

My church is trying to buy the building we are meeting in. If I had a windfall it would all go to our building fund. I don't need anything!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off all debt we've accrued due to medical expenses and losses we've suffered since losing our jobs and health challenges since 2008. So, about 1/3 to savings, 1/3 to pay down debt. and 1/3 to charity. That's a great plan, I think.

0 Kudos

I would get teeth fixed pay off debt buy house and car
0 Kudos

I would donate funds to support my town's community food bank, children's summer camp program. I would purchase a big track of land, build a barn and adopt as many dogs as I could support safely. There are so many good dogs that don't have homes. I would pay off my children'smortgages on their homes. Then I would seek financical advice on how to continue to support the above projects with investments.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have not had you experience but hope that if I did, after taking care oft grandchildren, I would do the same as you. Kudos.
0 Kudos

I think the right thing is to donate some of the money to the needy, to the church, and then a house so my children would have some where to call home, helping others is god way and mine
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would pay off my house and take my wife on vacation to anywhere in the world she'd like to go.
0 Kudos

I would pay off my house so we don't lose it been fighting with Bank of America for about 4 years now and now we just got told there's a foreclosure date and we have nowhere to go so yes I would love to come into some money and pay off our house
0 Kudos

Put it into a savings account for ONE year....don't spend any of it for that length of time. Then, once you have had time to think about it...then dig into it as needed.

Spending it right when you get it is a BIG mistake. You make poor decisions.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would investigate Assisted Living options for my husband and me.  He is 86 and I'm 81 and it is becoming difficult to take care of us and our house and shopping, etc. Everything I've seen on-lne is out of our reach. A windfall of money would do it for us.

0 Kudos

Buy myself a home...pay cash and go back to school and get my Master's Degree in Nursing.
0 Kudos

Pay off ALL my Parent PLUS Loans - OY!!!

Contributor

I am lucky to have enough, so I would like to help some of my family members and friends with a home or car.
0 Kudos

Well I'm waiting on The Lord.When I obey his word, pray on it then it's time to leave.My windfall is in.And I will invest it and retire early
0 Kudos

0 Kudos

First thank God,invest for early retirement.sale my home in CT,relocate to n c or s c. Taxes in Bridgeport ct are Two high. Unable to leave my mom at this time
0 Kudos

There are so many things to do with a "windfall of money"!  First, I would tithe to my church.  Then, I would begin preparations to open a brick and mortar cookie shop (which I have been planning and cultivating for the past 20 years).  I would put some in Roth IRAs.  I would take the mission trip that I have been saving for, and donate to a couple of others.  Then, I would set up some college and trust funds for some of my nieces and nephews.

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Move to FL pay cash for a condo and leave the rest for my 2 children and my 1 grandson and 1 on the way !!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Save to send my son to collage. We adopted him at 8 and it's beef hard to save.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would help my son with expenses with his treatments for cancer and his many  needs in the future.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off my debts and give to the charties.

0 Kudos

I don't have to worry about winning a windfall with this promotion, because it locks up every time I try to submit my entry.

0 Kudos

I would pay off home mortgage, car, bank loan, credit card, medical bills, all bills. Just totaled out my vehicle and came out upside down (pay off plus purchase another). Air conditioner went out and dryer. Put money away for my children.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off my husband's debts.  My previous husband passed away and left me with a house payment that I could not afford, and I had to file bankruptcy because I then lost my job.  I remarried in 2006 to a retired vet and through va benefits we were able to move out of florida to sc.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

Achieve a top score in our Tournament Tuesday Word Games in May and you could win $100 every 30 days!

Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP