Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Retired Community Manager

Contributor

I would take my 81 year old mother on a trip of a life time.  We would travel around the country and Canada. We would go to all of the National Parks.  We would go and tour all the Presidents Homes see the great battlefields.  Along the coast line we would eat the seafood of choice for that region.  But most important we would be making memories that would last a life time for the both of us.

0 Kudos

My husband has been out of work because of 5 abdominal surgeries in the past two years, so you can imagine how helpful that windfall of money would be. Also, both of our mothers have recently had falls with one needing hip surgery and that has been an added expense to all of us. We have never won anything and would love to finally get that extra help.
0 Kudos

Buy a house and furnish it. Tthen find a homeless family who are drug and etoh free and move them in with an agreement the father enter  employment training with the goal of becoming skilled to gain full time emplyment, while the mother raises the children.  i would avail my professional skills in coaching and counseling this family unit providing the necessities towards becomeing an intact and a resourcefull family unit while paying all living expenses throughout this time period. At the end of 1 year, success would dictate the deed to the house would become theirs.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Payoff our home and college tution. Travel - buy a better car
0 Kudos

I am 63 years old and I have never owned a home of my own. I would buy my own home! A.S.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off my bills after having cancer last yr we are in debt with doctors and hospitals.Also had to use my CC for things I would not normally use it for.. and I would  help my family. Also need a car

0 Kudos

Since my husband has been out of work for over 3 years and now has a diabetic foot ulcer have some fun and pay for my oldest daughters wedding.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos

I would take my Aunt Helen on a vacation
0 Kudos

I would payoff some bills,and then invest for my kids college
0 Kudos
Contributor

pay off high interest debt and put the rest in money market account
0 Kudos
Contributor

Put the money in muni bonds. The yield is tax-free and they're safe. Why do i say they're safe? Because that's where the rich have their money, and you can be sure that the rich in this country always come out on top.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Depending on the amount, I would pay off all my bills, put some money aside for a emergency, then take short trips.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Re-invest it in a safe program that would guarantee me a monthly income for life.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would payoff debt and give some to charity - semi retire and travel

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would spend half on good whiskey and wild women.  The rest I would probably spend foolishly.

@hm5284 wrote:

I would payoff debt and give some to charity - semi retire and travel

0 Kudos

I would pay off my home, help my grandkids get an education and donate to the local food bank, invest more $ into my IRA, then maybe start a cabinet business. I love working with wood.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would definitely put some towards mortgage, and save rest.  Maybe new or second hand car since an automobile is a necessity.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I would apply the funds toward my daughter's student loans.  Graduate school expenses will plague her for quite a while.  As an Army spouse, her employment will change every few years as he moves around.  I'd like her to be free of this debt sooner vs. later.

0 Kudos

Go on a long vacation
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Buy a good used Ferrari, Aston Martin, or Porsche.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I want to travel, but being alone keeps me from doing it. Everything is double occupancy! So I would start up an agency that caters to people who want to travel without being seen as "looking for love". Those of us who just want affordable travel without having to find a partner.
Peacemsw
0 Kudos

i would pay off my cc debt

0 Kudos

I am recently unemployed after working 40 years, right now I am using my savings to pay bills. It would be nice to have enough money to put back in to my savings and maybe invest some for my retirement years. I am not old enough to retire yet as I am only 58.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would be so delighted to pay off my car and catch up with some bills.
0 Kudos

I would pay off my student loan and my grandson's student loan and my other bills
0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay off all my bills, put some aside and give my kids some money.

0 Kudos

Redo the backyard with a nice swimmingpool and anice deck around it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay off our debt. Help our children who all have college educations be able to afford to buy a home for their families!
0 Kudos

I will build school for students who are in dire financial sittuation.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP