Community Manager
Community Manager

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Help daughter/grandchild  save some paymed bills

0 Kudos
Contributor

Set up a modest Trust Fund for each of my grandchildren and give the rest to charity

Contributor

Pay off debt and travel

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off my bills and put the rest in the bank for my retirement.
0 Kudos

Aloha...Being a caregiver. .children doing very well...I believe I would buy a car and a House to make into a Bed and Breakfast..and invite friends and family to come visit and share this Big Island for fun and relaxation. .Health retreat....Enjoy life......
0 Kudos

Since my husband recently passed away ...I would pay off the mortgage , help my kids with their bills, savings ACCTS for g-kids..and maybe a trip to Hawaii that my husband and I were planning before he passed....the rest to help people who need it....
0 Kudos
Contributor

After paying taxes, this will leave around $37,000 of a windfall. What would I do with this money?

Well, this will pay for almost 2 more years of our daughter's college bill at a state university, and save us from taking out a Parents Plus Loan at only 6% - 8% interest. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would thank the Lord first and donate more to the church for the community 's welfare. Pay off my debts and help my children with their debts.
Contributor

I admire all the selfless replies but as I already give much to my favorite charities - 2nd Harvest Food Bank, Silicon Valley Humane Society and Children's Hospital at Stanford - I would love to have a small RV to camp out with my two dogs.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Complex, but, easy answer is: start my life over, at 51 years of age. In 2006 I received a small award from a chronically disabling auto accident, I was a passenger in car hit by a drunk, my spine permanently injured. With economy as it was looking like was coming, I thought banks would crash, I invested in gemstones, tools, and jewelry making supplies but, the injury leaves me unable really to do craft shows, I need my own small Retail shop, attached to a home. I have been working with what I have, creating 300 pieces of jewelry including Earrings, Pendants, and Rings, I have a small but beautiful inventory, and stones enough for a lifetime (rest of anyway) jewelry making. Further, I have a girlfriend overseas and we desperately want to marry but, the enormous costs involved, we just can't now. Toward these goals I have been saving but, it's hard on $741 a month disability, I can save maybe $100 a month by eating as cheaply as possible cooking a lot of rice and beans.... So this would change my life and give me an entirely new life, and a beautiful wife, to help me with these goals we share. Whomever wins, I hope they appreciate as much as I would, this blessing, best of luck to you all. Thank you for this opportunity to share. May the blessings be.

I would give to my church family give to my family pay off all my debts start funds for my grandchildren college. Live a little....
0 Kudos
Contributor

Build a pool and complete a room addition. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hopefully it would be enough. I would build an animal shelter. We'd have out own vet there. We would do adoptions & have an area for animals that are too old, or disabled to be adopted. They could live there. We would offer low cost neuter/spay services. Maybe area vets would volunteer once a month to do these at our place. Well, I can dream can't I?

First I want to say that I liked the reply that said he wants to get his girlfriend over to the U.S. but was having a hard time saving the money. I know the problems of low money/income very very well. Has for his problem getting to shows to sell the things he has made I want to ask if he has thought about selling online? There are several websites that he might be able to use. Just do a serch for selling art online.

As for what I would do. first I would get the wheels rolling on getting into a home with a little bit of extra room around it. I now live in a apartment and I really do not need to be so close to whoever is living nextdoor. I would get the home set up so if I ever need to use a walker or wheelchair (I am not getting any younger) I could do so without haveing to "make do". I would help friends payoff their homes. And I would find charitys for people and animals where a very large percent of what you give goes to those, people or animals who need it. Not into the pockets of those you gave the money to. I would also share it with the person who sold me the winning ticket. I would also look for people, such as the man wanting to sell his art and give help to them. Of course I would look for ways to safely invest a big percent so that I would not run out no mater how long I live.

Take care all!

John C

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

1. Set up a trust to pay college costs for grand nieces and nephews. 2. Pay off mortgage.  3. Make a large contribution to local Head Start organization. 4. Buy small vacation home in San Miguel de Allende. 5. Travel - and travel some more.

I will pay off my daughter and son student loans,donate to my church and also to my favorite charities and what's left I will take a vacation with my kids and probably retire depends on how much I get
0 Kudos

I would use the windfall of money to buy a house. At 51 my 18 year marriage is ending. I can believe the cost of realestate these days.
0 Kudos

I would fund my start-up company which is building an entire eco-system around serving the elderly!
0 Kudos

Pay some bills and help our mens mission and the churches food. Pantry
0 Kudos
Contributor

Donate much of it to my favorite chaities.

@AARPLynne wrote:

0 Kudos

Help some people I know who really needs help & pay off my debt.
Contributor

Take my disabled daughter on a nice trip and buy her new clothes and get her hair done
0 Kudos

I would buy my a house tired of renting just want a place of my own.

0 Kudos

Update our current home to sell as we retire
0 Kudos

PAT BLACKWELL IN GREER,S. WOULD BUY ME A NICE,SMALL HOME AND A BRAND NEW CAR AND PAY OFF ALL MY BILLS.IM 67 AND WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO ENJOY THE REST OF MY LIFE WITH NO DEBT.

0 Kudos

Frist i would buy a home and car,since i have lost every thing.then i would find homes to turn into homes for.the forgotten vets,the us has turned their backs on,thank fully,my kind neice took me in,and made me feel welcome
Contributor

I would pay off all my bills so that I would have minimal monthly payments. This way I could afford to accept a lesser paid position, it has been a challenge since I was laid off in February from a high paying position. The only way for me to make a better living is to move and I cannot move until I sell my home. Vicious cycle unfortunately! Thanks for all that you do!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off  all debt, buy a house in Belize, open my dream coffee shop and enjoy life.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would help most family members with their failing health conditions by finding better doctors, buy them better homes because they are all WAY below poverty standards, and I would donate to animal shelters. If there was anything left I'd take a vacation somewhere sunny for two weeks.

0 Kudos

Have me a family cruise with all my family! Or just Have a big cookout at a Mansion for a weekend. Save the rest for my latter years of Life. Will also donate to fix up our church.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Sync your smartphone or favorite tracker with AARP Rewards to earn points for hitting steps, swimming and cycling milestones Sync Now.

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health