Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 21 of 26

I live in New York and would NOT be able to retire if I stayed here, with the high taxes.  The only way we'll be able to retire comfortably is by selling our home in NY, moving to Florida where we can buy something without a mortgage, and we'll have very low taxes.  Hopefully if you can relocate you can actually have a retirement. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 26

I live in NC and we get a lot of people that went from the north all the way to FL, only to find out that the change was more than they could get used to.  They are called half backs.  I would suggest you try out several states to the south of NY prior to deciding on FL.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 26

Thank you for the warning.  We bought a small place in a 55+ community Florida 5 years in anticipation of my retirement and we vacation there 2-3 times a year.  I'm due to retire in 2 years.  I already know I love Florida except for summer.  We plan on traveling and visiting in New York during the hottest three months, although people I know down there say they get acclimated and many of them don't even mind the summer. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 26

Tell me about it!  I always made 10-20k less than I made in 2008.  Since jobs were very hard to come by I never nogotiated salary.  Once I took  a 30k cut from the top salary.  Lucky I did.  I didn't even see another opening for 6 months in my town. I could have relocated. 

Luckily my expenses are dwindling and my wife works.   We are putting away max 401k and IRA contributions. Due to good investing and the biggest longest bull market in history we are beyond fine. We met our financial goals years ago.  We are still socking it away while the sun shines.  I will likely be retired this time next year.  I am already working FY 2019 for the government.  I doubt I will be renewed for FY 2020.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 26

FL is a great place to retire!  You picked very well.  Retirees are a major source of income for them so the make life easier for retired.  FL has no death taxes and there are other big benifits for seniors. In senior health.  Half their business is seniors. They tend to have plenty of health care and Drs are all well informed  The weather is the biggest benifit.  You can be active in the winter.  The keys exteneded both my parent's lives 10 years.

My parents lived there.  They lucked out when dad died.  Their old state wanted half of dad's estate.  They had 2 houses and lived in each about half the year.  The tie breaker was dad always filed income taxes from FL so mom kept all her money. File in FL! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 26

Apparently, your blood thins.  I was in South FL during the coldest snap in 50 years.  The news showed many wearing parkas.  However, every now and then you could also tourists in shorts.  It might have been 50 during the footage.  To the long time natives the cold was brutal. You will acclimate to the warmer weather.  I wore shorts but also wore a sweat shirt for warmth.  Peak temp for the day was in the 60s so I needed shorts.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors