Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What if your deceased relative received a stimulus check?

Retired Community Manager

What if your deceased relative received a stimulus check?

Most people would be happy to find an extra $1,200 in their mailbox or bank account — unless, of course, the unexpected windfall was earmarked for someone who died. Not only is the money a painful reminder of a loved one's absence, it raises vexing questions: What do I do with it? Should I spend it? Send it back? And if so, how? Find out more in, My Dead Relative Received a Stimulus Check. Can We Keep It?

Did you get your stimulus check with no problems?

Retired Community Manager

The IRS provided specific instructions for returning an economic impact payment (EIP) sent to a person who is dead.

If the payment was a paper check and it hasn’t been cashed:

• Write "Void" in the endorsement section on the back of the check.
  • Mail the voided Treasury check immediately to the appropriate IRS location for your state.
  • Don't staple, bend or paper clip the check.
  • Include a note stating the reason for returning the check. 

If the payment was a paper check and you have cashed it, or if the payment was a direct deposit:

• Submit a personal check, money order, etc., immediately to the appropriate IRS location for your state.
  • Write on the check/money order made payable to “U.S. Treasury” and write “2020EIP,” and the taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, or individual taxpayer identification number) of the recipient of the check.
  • Include a brief explanation of the reason for returning the EIP.
0 Kudos
Contributor

What if a relative who was not executor of the estate took the stimulus check and cashed it. Who do you report that situation to.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP