Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Tips and Tricks for Living on a Budget

Message 11 of 19

I like to buy certain items at Costco but the amount is generally too large for one person; so I have 3 friends who like some of the same things and we share the products and the cost which usually turns out then to be cheaper than in other grocery stores.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 19

I shop for birthdays and Christmas year round - I buy at the end of the season - it takes time to go through the sale racks - department and discount stores are best. I keep a box in my closet with a list by name of everything I’ve purchased. I picked up some “dog tag” style Star Wars chain in March $1.99. It was the hit of my 10 yr.old granddaughter’s birthday in July. You will be surprised how many perfect gifts you find at 70-80% off

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 19

Retired at 51 1/2, was fortunate to have a pension that I could survive on.  One of my best savings tricks is to pay bills early in the month, leave $100 in checking for things, and moving the rest of any money to savings.  Once in a while I have to pull some back as I overlooked an annual bill or had an unexpected car repair.  This discipline has allowed me to save several thousand dollars by the end of a year.  Plus, savings usually has a higher interest rate!  Able to live this way until I could withdraw annually from 401K account.  And, this year I am able to claim my full SS benefits.  Will continue with my savings scheme, as it has allowed me to travel and open education savings for the "great" niece/nephew generation.

Another way I save is to pick up coins from the ground when I spot them.  Cash my coins in and get a gift card or buy a meal out, that I would not do if I were not spending my change.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 19

My local newspaper subscription jumped to $261.83 for the next 13 weeks.  I called and said, "Can't do that.  How much would you charge for the digital subscription instead?"  The response was "I can offer to extend the same print subscription to you for that same price for 6 months instead, if you'd like."  It took 3 minutes to save $261.83.  And, I was bluffing.  I prefer to read the paper.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 19

Have you tried signing up for free grocery cash back programs? Try ibotta.com. savingstar.com or checkout51.

You won't find all the products your looking for but I received 73.00 cash back since July on ibotta alone.

It's worth a look.  Try Groupon for restaurants and most definately worth trying ebates.  Received over 8.00 off my new fitbit tracker plus 10.00 for spending over 25.00.  

As long as your buying only whst you would buy anyway and not buying just for the fun of a cashback reward.

Good luck!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 19
Best way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. My parents used to say that, as they were depression era.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 19

I grew up on skid row, south of San Francisco, next to the railroad tracks. As a child we sometimes didn't have food to eat for 1 or 2 days, but we didn't know we were poor, even with holes in our clothes and shoes. Those days taught me to be frugal. My mantra has always been: Do I need it, or do I want it? And if I need it and can't afford it, I don't make the purchase. But we were happy and I didn't know until I was older that we were poor. I am still a very happy soul and give to others when I can. Our mother taught us to give not because we had a lot, but because we knew what it was like to have nothing. You would be surprised how much you can give to others "when you have nothing."

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 19

One other tip I wanted to share is a site called "Brad's Deals" I like this site for several reasons. 

1. Almost everything is free shipping. 

2. All merchandise is from "legitimate" stores, not a website managing orders. 

3. When something is on sale, with a manufacturers rebate, store credit (Kohl's cash), etc. 

ALL of the forms you need to submit for rebate are right there on the site. So you don't have to 

go hunting around on coupon sites to locate a rebate which may or may not exist. 

Example: Daughter wanted Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer (Retail $499.00) - found on Brad's deals at 

Kohls. 

$100.00 rebte Kitchen Aid 

30% off on sale

$75.00 in Kohls money 

NET: $121.00 for the Stainless Steel Stand Mixer.  (purchased in Oct.) 

4. One drawback is sometimes it can take awhile depending on location  - I just got some Puma l 

purchased some PUMA leather sneakers for $15.00 shipped. Retailer in Florida took 2 weeks.

5. They give you a "market overview" as to how the price on this deal stacks up with other prices out      there.       

THIS IS NOT AN AD FOR THIS SITE. Just wanted to share their unique bargain approach to shopping on line. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 19

not wanting things anymore is a big help.

doing the 2 days a week reduced calorie eating plan helps on food.  and supposed to be healthy. only way i could lose weight anyway.

pay most monthly expenses with cash using a 4 -envelope plan.  set my budget after a few months of close monitoring.  get the budget cash at the start of the month and put in an envelope for monthly necessities,  1 for monthly fun, 1 for long term necessities & 1 for  long term fun.  as i spend during the month mark it down on the envelope.  as the envelope gets thin really reduces the desire to spend.  been staying way under budget.  put the leftovers from each envelope in the long term necessities one, almost have a whole year worth set aside already.

say yes to seminars offering a free meal.

free entertainment at the library.

have kids pay their cell phone bill.

not done yet
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors