AARP Urges Congress to Prevent $25 Billion in Medicare Cuts. Read the Letter

Info Seeker

Student loan debt

Message 1 of 7
Anyone affected by student loan debt? High interest rates, SS being garnished?
Report Inappropriate Content
Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Student loan debt

Message 2 of 7

I had no idea that SS could be garnished for student loan debt!

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 7

retiredtraveler wrote:

I had no idea that SS could be garnished for student loan debt!

Federal Student Loans - not private ones.  Debts which are owed to the government, they have the right to collect from you - whether that is through a collections process or withholding monies which they are sending to you - be that a tax refund or a SS check.  However, they don't reduce SSI since that is welfare-based.

Remember this is only after other attempts to collect and lots of notices.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-t-miller/social-security-checks_b_2315435.html

The federal government can garnish a portion of your benefits for repayment of several types of debts, including federal income taxes, federal student loans, child support and alimony, nontax debt owed to other federal agencies, defaulted federal home loans and certain civil penalties. (If you receive SSI, those benefits cannot be garnished under any circumstance.)

How much can actually be garnished depends on what you owe for. If you owe back taxes to the IRS, 15 percent of your Social Security benefits can be taken each month until the debt is paid in full. The government uses the Federal Payment Levy Program to garnish your payments.

If you owe money on a student loan -- it doesn't matter how long ago you were in school -- the first $750 of your monthly benefits is off-limits to garnishment. After that, the government can shave off up to 15 percent.

And if you owe past or current child or spousal support you could lose as much as 50 to 65 percent of your benefits. Delinquent child support and alimony cases are processed through the national Court Ordered Garnishment System. In these situations, the maximum reduction to your benefits depends on the state where you live. The garnishment is limited to either the maximum allowed under state law or the maximum under the Consumer Credit Protection Act, or CCPA, whichever is less.

Before your Social Security benefits are garnished, you'll receive several letters of notice from the IRS, and be given ample opportunity to make a pay arrangement. If you don't, the agency will start docking your monthly checks.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 7

How can you tell if companies that call you are legitimate loan forgivness programs? Specifically a company called: Student Loan Advocacy

3954 Murphy Canyon Road

San Diego, CA 92123

Has anyone ever heard of this program? I don't feel good about giving info over the phone. Can anyone reccomend someone legitimate?

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 7

Most of these companies are not legitimate. There are very few forgiveness programs, you can sign up for them yourself. Public service loan forgiveness for teachers, police officer, social workers but very few others exist. There also income based repayment plans. You do not need a company to sign up for any of these. As long as we are talking about federal student loans you can contact your loan servicer and sign up for these programs yourself.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 7

I have heard that federal student loans, parent plus loans, are forgiven after a spicific length of time. How can I find this out? Who can I talk to that will give me honest answers? Should I consolidate to a private lender to reduce my rates? I am lost and don't know where to turn. Can anyone advise me please.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 7

Me too. I am in my early 60s and still working. My student loan debt is high (six digits) as I started towards a PhD a few years ago. I am starting to regret it as my debt level has climbed and I am stuck at the dissertation level and have hit a brick wall. I am a licensed counselor who works for an EAP company through an insurance company which also specilalizes in Medicare and Medicaid populations.  I am ready to throw in the towel on the PhD and I am scared to death about the debt. I don't mind working past retirement age, but I want to be able to be there for my family (wife and adult kids and grandkids). Any advice for me, please?