Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Starting a Business and Money Saving Hacks

Retired Community Manager

Starting a Business and Money Saving Hacks

We wanted to know the best ways to save money, so we asked these personal finance experts what financial tips they’d give on everything from how to live on a budget to starting your own business

Watch and tell us here, what advice would you give someone thinking about starting their own business or making a career switch?

Contributor

I've changed careers 3 times into seemingly unrelated fields.  I say "seemingly" because, behind the scenes, they are actually related.  Each grew organically from the one before it.  I was a banker for over 20 years, owned an aviation business for 18, and now I'm an HR consult with a specialty.  While a banker, I learned to fly as an avocation because my wife was in school and I wanted something to do while she was so committed to her challenge.  When I came to a crossroad in my banking career, I looked for something new to do and I turned my avocation into my vocation by buying a small aviation business. Banking and my education helped me navigate the trials of business acquisition and ownership. To bridge the income gap, I did part time bank consulting while growing my business until it required all my time. When I'd had enough of the business, I sold the assets. I had inadvertently acquired an HR ability and decided to exploit it.  So, my advice is; take an inventory of ALL the skills you've acquired and pick the ones you enjoyed most to organically grow into new work. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

If ya feel it, go for it!  Words to live by.

Trusted Contributor

Budget, be it business or for yourself. You may think this is constraining and doesn't allow you to do the things you want to. Not so, it actually allows you to do more with more. 

Today I have absolutely no debt in my life and money to save, all because I started a budget 2 years ago. 

If you don't know how to do one, there are lots of places to find out, just Google it!

My buisness is doing better because of it (a home based one) and my lifestyle is better because of it. 

What do you have to loose but worry and debt? They aren't indellable, and you can stop it if you hate it. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP