Stay Safe During Summer Storms with Disaster Preparedness Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Now!

Regular Social Butterfly

Spendthrift or Skinflint?

Message 1 of 19

There is a cute little test (20 questions) in the current issue of AARP The Magazine.

I scored 11 and agree that is exactly where we fit in.

Check it out.

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Spendthrift or Skinflint?

Message 2 of 19

OK. I'll go take the test, but I'm calling my score now: total skinflint.

I managed to save a thousand dollars one year while living alone, working half time at a minimum wage job and going to school. High school. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 3 of 19

For anyone who doesn't want to hunt thru their AARP magazine collection: It's the February/March 2017 issue, on page 29.

I scored 7, "Savvy Spender" .. very accurate!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 4 of 19

Well the Feb/March AARP magazine has gone missing (thinking DH snagged it for some reason). It is the Bulletin that came in yesterday, and that was what I was reading over lunch. So anyway, I took this test and came up with 'Very Careful With Money': http://365tests.com/money-tests/skinflint-or-spendthrift-free-personality-test/

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 19

I'll check it later, but since I'll race DW to get a coin on the ground, I think I know what the results will be..........

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 6 of 19

It's fine to kid around about how cheap we might be about certain things. There used to be a regular poster here who was just 50 (at the time), lived in TX, and I believe taught school. He lived in a trailer & just had a hot plate for cooking. I got the impression that his prime objective was to live as frugally as humanly possible, even if he felt a little deprived at times.

I want to get my money's worth, and I don't want to spend more for brand names & features I don't really need. I've never been interested in having things to "keep up with the Joneses". But my prime objective isn't to spend as little as possible to live a very Spartan livestyle.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Super Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 19

gfy! Wish I could say the same :{

Honestly, shop thrifty 99% of the time but then go stupid and have to grit my false teeth the next month!

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 19

"...lived in a trailer & just had a hot plate for cooking. I got the impression that his prime objective was to live as frugally as humanly possible, even if he felt a little deprived at times....".

I seriously considered doing just than, in my 20's, before purchasing a house. The only thing that stopped me was that I saw how much houses were appreciating. Trailers lost value immediately.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 9 of 19

ASTRAEA wrote:

>

I want to get my money's worth, and I don't want to spend more for brand names & features I don't really need. I've never been interested in having things to "keep up with the Joneses". But my prime objective isn't to spend as little as possible to live a very Spartan livestyle.

That mostly sums me up.  Not leaving it all for the kid but responsible for my own life and bills and have been for a very long time!

I am "very careful with my money".

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 10 of 19

retiredtraveler wrote:

"...lived in a trailer & just had a hot plate for cooking. I got the impression that his prime objective was to live as frugally as humanly possible, even if he felt a little deprived at times....".

I seriously considered doing just than, in my 20's, before purchasing a house. The only thing that stopped me was that I saw how much houses were appreciating. Trailers lost value immediately.

Any interest in the "tiny house" movement?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors