Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Save money at Aldi Foods

Message 1 of 13 (1,316 Views)

You can save about 40% on food and general goods at Aldi Foods. Its a barebones store and doesn't have the selection of a regular grocery but you can get most of the items you need and you can complete your shopping at a regular store.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Save money at Aldi Foods

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 13 (1,310 Views)

Hi @JesseBMiller, and welcome to the online community.

I had never heard of Aldi Foods, but a search brought up this map of their US store locations. They aren't in my state (Colorado) but I see they have plenty of stores in other areas.

Here's that map, for anyone interested: https://storelocator.aldi.us/Presentation/AldiSued/en-us/Start

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 13 (1,298 Views)

"The Aldi group operates over 8,000 stores worldwide. A store opens roughly every week in Britain alone.[15]"

"Aldi Nord is responsible for its stores in Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Poland, Spain, Denmark, and Portugal, and also operates the Trader Joe's markets in the United States. Aldi Süd's responsibilities are in the United States (operating under the Aldi name), Austria and Slovenia (as Hofer), United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and Switzerland. Aldi Süd's first Switzerland store opened in 2005, while it has operated in Hungary since 2007."

For more information please go here:

------------------> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 4 of 13 (1,253 Views)

@JesseBMiller - There is an Aldi's not too far from me, but further than the supermarket I use on a regular basis. I've been told they have a lot of organic items, which would be the primary reason I'd check it out .. one of these days! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 13 (1,249 Views)

They usually carry only one brand of any item, but it is usually  good  or acceptable imo.  They have good produce and many organics too.

vita umbratilis
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 13 (1,205 Views)

@LaDolceVita & @ASTRAEA  Their money back guarantee and replacement of the item purchased is a win/win as well.  I am never afraid to try an item from there because they are clearly labeled as to organic, non-GMO, sustainable catch, etc.  If I don't like the item, the guarantee to replace and refund the money makes makes me that much more likely to give it a try.  Their packaging is also clearly labeled as far as being recyclable.

One thing I've thought about is this:   If I were in Europe and renting a house or cottage for vacation...or even taking a road trip, I would frequent whatever grocery store was available and Aldi's has many locations there.  Why would I not try it out here?

The fruits and vegetables look good and are well packaged.  There are organic and non-organic varieties available.  If you've ever bought from Trader Joe's, there are some of the same brands there as well.  I have bought German brands from there, specifically frozen strudels...vegetarian and apple, bratwurst with no chemical preservatives and special cookies my brother used to send me from the Netherlands when he lived there.  I have found all of them to be first quality and they are always on my list when I go.  The strudels in my freezer prove handy when I have unexpected company and I'd like to make a light snack to serve with wine, tea or coffee or even to "throw together" a respectable meal if necessary.

The Aldi's near me restocks on Tuesday evenings, so I try to go on Wednesdays to pick up the freshest items and get the the best selection of any new items they may not have carried previously.

Message 7 of 13 (1,201 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - My only hang-up is that it's not as convenient as the 2 other stores at which I shop, and if they don't carry everything, I'd still wind up having to go to the regular stores as well. One of these days!!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 13 (1,162 Views)

I miss Aldi's; when I lived in the Midwest, it was my go to; bought cases of canned goods and staples for pennies on the dollar, which really helped with younguns in the house. These are "name brand" sometimes with "off brand" label (e.g., store not in your area).

For those of you lucky enough to live in one of Aldi's market areas, don't forget to take a quarter with you (or more quarters if you need more than one cart); you get it back when you return the cart to the front of store; great idea; no more random carts in the parking lot!

Aldi's, please come to Vegas...

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 13 (1,025 Views)

Country Living Magazine's online edition has a short article about Aldi's that reveals a few  "insider secrets" that keep the prices low for anyone interested in the German grocery chain.

http://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/news/a42614/aldi-grocery-shopping-tips/?src=nl&mag=clg&list...

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 13 (289 Views)

Shopping at Aldi is a quick and easy experience. I buy most of my produce there, as well as shop for their weekly specials and "Adi finds" on many items, especially household items.  You can't beat their specials on produce, for example, last week they had a bag of baby carrots for 49 cents, and they were $1.49 for the same bag at my local grocery store.