Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: SS cola

Message 61 of 72

Yes that is the way it has all ways been done. When I was working I paid for those before me out f my pay check. It is not wrong for us to want a periodic raise. After all our represenitives in Washington get a raise every year and most of them never pay a dime into ss or any ther fund.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 72
I believe if government employees get a cost of living raise so should the Social Security benefits. I have not received a raise in a few years and the last one was a mere 2%. But they keep taking more and more for the part b medical expensesSo how does this benefit me as an over 50 disabled American. I say we take 1% from every political figure, like congress, and give us a healthy cost of living raise. What do you think?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 72
Not so.. Of course I care, and no I don't have enough money- at all. But what can I do to change that?
I'm not being sarcastic.. I really didn't think there was a thing I could do!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 72

The fact is that the COLA formula is defective.  The U.S. has choosen to use one of the very worst formulas available.  It doesn't refect seniors or ANYBOY ELSE'S cost-of-living.  There is significant inflation going on in this country and the U.S. particularly the President are denying it.  They punish seniors more than the military, federal workers, or anybody else.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 72

This is in response to the comment made by "kleino" on page one about "our" SS paychecks coming from "our childrens" paychecks.  I beg to differ with you "kleino" BUT I don't know about you, but between my employers and myself, we paid over $100,000.00 over my work life into SS.  If you compound interest on that money over the 40 plus years that the money was put there I would have plenty to live on.  That's NOT counting the money that was taken from MY paychecks to pay for Medicare.  Now if our "wonderful" government hadn't taken OUR SS money and spent it on other things, such as giving it to people who never contributed anything or very little to it, there would be an abundance of funds for us retirees.  It's unfortunate that NOW we have to depend on the working people to help fund this program when there should have been more money than needed for us retirees.  I fully agree with some form of privatizing (SS) retirement money other that 401k or IRA.  Some form of retirement that cannot lose as in the stock market and get rid of the "SS" plan as it is today.  The government should NOT be able to get their hands on it as it belongs to the workers who worked hard to save it and put it there.   As for the money that we receive now from coming out of "our childrens paychecks", I know that ther are a lot of people on SS who do not have children, and what about people who collect SS or SSI, which comes out of SS who NEVER contributed to it.  I wonder just how much YOU contributed over your lifetime to the program.  Maybe you are one of those people and that's why you are happy to get whatever you can get from "other people's" money!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 72
Its so disheartening that the government thinks so little of its seniors, and all the hard work that was put into building this country way before machinery and computers, that now they just ignore us and throw us away like yesterdays bad news. Seniors are for the most part starving and living in poverty.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 72
The entire system needs to be revamped to accommodate those who have retired and about to. What worked 30 years ago, doesn't work now. Unfortunately, we don't have people who can come up with an equatable plan which most everyone could live with. Where's the talent to figure this out?? If our kids are subsidizing social security, they better be happy that's all they have to do. If it gets much worse, they will be looking at a more expensive scenario than paying into social security. Just sayin...
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 72

I think our representatives are the ones who are too well off!  They don't care if we get a COLA raise for our Social Security checks.  Theyi'll get theirs, becauise they vote on their raises before they worry about anyithing else.  I for one am not so well off that I don't need that raise!  But who can we vote for to replace them?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 72
I disagree with your comment. We "seniors" paid into social security when "we" were employed, some seniors are fortunate to be still employed while others have retired or were terminated by their employers. Staying quiet is non-negotiable, in my opinion.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 72

Just to correct some of the thinking here based on some of the comments.

There is a law that specifies on what basis and formula Congress can get a raise and then Congress has the ability to reduce or eliminate any such raise - for themselves, alone, or with other Federal Employees.

Read all about it here and learn how things work:

Congressional Research Service 02/23/2016:   Salaries of Members of Congress: Recent Actions and His...

1.  Congress has had NO pay increase since 2009, which was approved the year before. At that time, their salary was increased 2.8%, to $174,000 from $169,300.

2.  Since the Reagan-O'Neill Social Security Reform of the '80's, ALL federal employees as well as Congress have paid into the Social Security System.  However, because they get a pension from the government, their SS benefits are reduced by a related formula modified by any earned addtional SS credits in a job outside of the government.

MY SIGNATURE: "It’s Always something" - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views