Have questions about your Medicare options? AARP's Medicare Resource Center can help.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: SS cola

Message 51 of 72
We didn't get a raise this year, but I am a widow with cancer, a leak in my mitral valve to my heart, fibromyalgia and a host of other ailments and I got a $2.00 deduction this year. I have a box full of hospital bills and I have to refuse several of my medications at the pharmacy because I can't afford the copay. Let's see the government officials try to live like this!!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 72
Right on. We'll have to get used to low COLAs. That seems the least painful way to resurrect the SS fund. Others will have to sacrifice too, but this is the best for those already collecting, better than a cut.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 72
Not April 2, 2016 yet. Why don't you exercise the option?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 72

I, too can use the cola, but I'm in a rather curious position where the cola really does me no good: each time the cola increase is given, my rental agency increases my apartment rent by EXACTLY THE SAME percentage! This seems to me neither fair nor ethical, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's legal, but I can find no agency who can look into this for me. The rental authority says that rents are based on the size and quality of our rental units: the size and quality of my unit has not changed in all the years I've been here, so what jusrtification is there other than plain greed, for raising the rent by the exact percentage of the cola? 

I'm in my mid-70s, disabled, unable to do work of any kind, and it's extremely disheartening to know that rather than putting the cola to use in putting groceries on the table or gas in the car, the cola is instantly appropriated by the rental agency for the same, unchanged, almost inadeqaute one-room apartment provided by an agency whose stated mission is to provide decent housing for those with low income who are in need.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest, nobody outside of this forum seems to care or listen.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 72

I am one of those so-called I'm prepared baby boomers that has no retirement but  social security. I have paid into it for over 40 years and back in my day that was what you looked at for retirement.  I saved for retirement but it was all used up when I had to put my father into assisted living. They took everything I had so I only have  social security now. I do need the raises yearly to help me from living on the streets. You never plan on  losing your retirement to helping your parents live out their final days. So you naysayers, I can take that and stick it! I did my due diligence and look where it got me.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 72

@ronc2vn

It sounds like you are in a HUD subsidized senior / disabled complex. 

If that is so . . . . even those types of complexes have expenses like maintenance and upkeep.

These types of units have to have HUD approval for an increase - HUD looks at what is not only happening in the complex, i.e. what each type of senior is paying based on their income - market rate (what the general area measures for rental of this size apartment), subsidized (Sect. 236) or subsidized Sect. 8. 

Increases are a common occurance no matter what type of housing you are in because they all have to be maintained and especially if it is a HUD partner because many times HUD will require certain measures like changing all the lighting in the place to CFL (Compact Florescent Lights).

MY SIGNATURE: "It’s Always something" - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 72

Here is something that you may or may not know.

Part B premium increases for those already on Medicare Part B are tied to COLA.

If you had gotten a COLA for 2016 - there would have been a correlated increase in Medicare Part B premiums for everybody because Part B expenses rose in FY2015.

Sooner or later, we will ALL have to make up this cost within our Part B premiums - the amount of increase is also tied to the % of any COLA - Part B premium increases cannot give you less that what you were receiving the year before in your SS benefit.  This is called the "hold harmless clause" in Medicare.

This is from Medicare (read MORE at the link):

Medicare.gov: How much does Part B cost?

The standard Part B premium amount is $121.80 (or higher depending on your income).

However, most people who get Social Security benefits will continue to pay the same Part B premium amount as they paid in 2015. This is because there wasn't a cost-of-living increase for 2016 Social Security benefits.

You'll pay a different premium amount if: 

• You enroll in Part B for the first time in 2016.
  • You don't get Social Security benefits.
  • You're directly billed for your Part B premiums.
  • You have Medicare and Medicaid, and Medicaid pays your premiums. (Your state will pay the standard premium amount of $121.80.)
  • Your modified adjusted gross income as reported on your IRS tax return from 2 years ago is above a certain amount.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 72

@1ksheckman

" I saved for retirement but it was all used up when I had to put my father into assisted living. They took everything I had so I only have  social security now."

Sorry this happened - seems there would have been another way since we have so many social service programs to help the aged if they aren't able to pay without taking it from the next generation.

Same would be true of people who spend their retirement savings on paying for their kid's (whatever).

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 72

Hi all,

Please remember that hateful/racist comments are not allowed. Please be respectful of everybody. 

You can read the full guidelines here: http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Thanks and happy posting!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 72

It seems that those in the congress don't understand that you have to have people working and paying into the system. Get rid of NAFTA and bring all the jobs back from over seas. Then there will be good paying jobs so a young man or woman can live the American dream. That can't happen with a minimum waage job.

Kudos
Views