If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: SS cola

Message 41 of 72
I'm one for the cola raise. I don't think it's fair that we have worked and put in for this and just because of the economy in the low gas prices shouldn't cost us our raise each year. It shouldn't be based on that. We have high rent,high food prices,high electric bill water bills going up each and that's not in our check. Now come on we don't need no reduction,we need production. Government needs to step up to the senior citizens of this world that have put into this system. Hello somebody!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 72

It's really good that there was not a raise in the cost of living. I live in San Jose, CA. My water bill is $337. this month and was $420. last month due to the drought. In South Lake Tahoe my water bill is $364.79 this month. Both used to be a little over $100. Groceries, especially fresh produce has gone up each time I've gone to the store. Prscription prices have gone up. Automobile prices have gone down, in some parts of the country home prices have dropped, a 3 bdrm., 2 bath, 1100 square ft. house rents for $3800/ month. Senior citizens buy groceries, pay utility bills and rent homes. We don't buy houses or cars. Cost of living has gone down? So what does that do for us on SS?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 72

Where was the **bleep** govt when gas was 4.00$ a gallon?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 72

". . . corportaions OR governments?"  You meant perhaps, GOVERNMENT OF,  BY AND FOR CORPORATIONS."

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 72

Kleino - I've been contributing to Social Security for more than 50 years, and I'm getting $841/month, so I have to disagree with your assessment that "Seniors have it good." You need to take into consideration that not everyone earned $50++ thousand like you. There are many, many who barely scrape by, without further assistance, living solely on SS. So don't be so quick to criticize without doing full proper research on those NOT in your category.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 72
I totally agree
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 72
I am a 72 year old woman and have many opinions about S/S. I also worked full time to age 71.
1- Lack of raise stinks. The cost of my food, the cost of prescription drugs, the taxes I pay have never gone down. There was also a raise in insurance that is automatically deducted from my S/S leaving me with less to live on.
2-As a woman of my age I have been subjected to prejudices that hampered my earning and job possibilities in the past ( these same earnings are a basis for you SSI). So therefore my Income is less than it could be.
3-Is SSI still being paid to immigrants coming into the USA?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 72
For those people who don't need SS and have enough savings to be comfortable good for you. But for a number of Americans who did not have the income levels to save for retirement and take care of families at the same time SS is the line between being able to eat, buy medication and survive. Most of us have worked hard and paid into a system that we thought would act as the savings we would need in retirement or if we became disabled. Some seniors receive benefits in such small sums that COLA's even small ones can mean the difference between eating or taking medication. The fact that COLA's are not calculated on the cost of living increases that most seniors deal with (Health Care, Medication, increases in food prices). Working people have COLA's based on their income and the salary of clerical workers etc. For the last few years the budget was balanced on the backs of Federal workers who went with out COLA's. The system can no longer use this screen so now Seniors are the targets. As medical cost increase and Seniors pay more in Medicare, private insurance and services and state and local taxes the source of income is diminishing a few dollars at a time. We are not suppose to notice the impact of not having a COLA this year those soon even those who are well off will begin notice the effects in the increase in Medicare rates and taxes that will be need to support Seniors who are falling through the safety net.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 72

The money came out of our paychecks our entire lives.  You are really ignorant.  We need cost of living increases you fool.  You might recieve enough, but there are millions that do not.  Do not generalize.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 72
Does anyone remember that the democratic congress with the president made the decision to put our money (surplus ) into the general fund. Thus we are broke today. No one ever ask the seniors if they agreed to this, they took it. We seniors paid into social security and our employer paid the other half.
Kudos
Views