Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Presidential Candiates

Message 11 of 72

Why, is the current Republican candiates so determined to dismantle SS, medicare and medicaid. The only reason would be to provide even more tax breaks for their rich constituants.  If Congress was truly interested in helping the elderly and re-estabilishing the SS, they would replace the $1.37 trillion dollars that the Bush-Chaney administration stole from the system to protect the rich oil companies in Iraq.  Blood for oil, the seniors had to pay for it again with our hard earned dollars. And now they have the nerve to tell us the system is going broke.  I would not vote for any of those who want to dismantle SS.  For many SS is what allows us to live our our lives with dignity and peace of mind.   As Alan Grayson has said the plan the Republicans have for the seniors in our country is "Die and did soon."

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: SS cola

Message 12 of 72
Every senior should receive COLA each year. What's to debate? I paid my taxes.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 72

Compassion isn't mugging someone else,keeping 50% of the proceeds to cover overhead and giving the other 50% to some favored group.That's theft.Compassion is when you freely give to someone.Govt can't show compassion,unless govt employees give money away,out of their own pockets.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 72

For most of my career I saw the cost of contributions to Medicare and Social Security increase almost every year.  This was designed to keep the system solvent over the long term..  Increases were small, hardly noticeable in the context of annual cost of living raises and a number of promotions in the prime of my working life.  Then, about 1986, contributions to Medicare were frozen at 1.45% of income (with matching funds from employers.)  In the early 90s the Social Security contributions were capped at 6.2%.  They've been the same ever since with the only  increases caused by COLA adjustments in base salaries and an ever larger cap for those who pay SS. 

I'm sure this seemed like a wise choice by legislators decades ago but, in reality, the cost of medical care has soared every year and the inflationary cost of living, while below average now, has increased at a much greater rate almost every year.  Now, we're faced with an ever smaller work force while the pool of retirees grows larger each year.

We've always needed those correcting formulas to keep the system solvent.  But those freezes removed any semblance of actuarial matching of costs and benefits.  Because the needs of seniors increase with inflation each year while contributions remain constant in real terms, it was and is only a matter of time until benefits must diminish.  All of us on this side of retirement age suffer because those on the worker's side complain about contributions that fund the retirement of their families and themselves.  Some political realists must bite this bullet and provide periodic increases to save the system and it must be done soon.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 72

Not surprising because of self serving politicians and a government that refuses to be accountable as well as having taxpayers be accountable for thier mistakes....face it, your gov't doesn't care about you, after all, they know what's best for all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 72

If those in Government can get a raise. Then why can't we. They make $167,000.00 a year to start. Government don't pay us that a year to start. But they get a raise ever year. That is not right.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 72

The thing that pissed me off is the inflation rate is low due to the price of gasoline. I don't own a car and you know as well as I do that the goods distibutors will  not pass the fuel savings on to us. Also, look at the price of canned tuna. The price stayed the same but the weight went from 7.5 oz to 6 oz and now it is 5 oz. Yogurt went from 8 to 6 oz and less, a 25% reduction and they gave us a big 10% reduction in price.

The younger people paying in to SS will get raises in their base salaries to offset the increased FICA cost. Pardon me if I don't shed tears for the 20 somethings buying million dollar apartments in my coop building with daddy's help or not.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 72

Correct! Just as it did when we were children. When FDR started what is now Social Security, it was known as FICA and it was contributory. Currently, working people pay around 7.5% of their income and their employer pays the same amount for them. And it's not contributory. If it were, none of us elders would be getting anything because there would be no contributions. And when we were young and gainfully employed, we probably wouldn't have contributed either. When you're young, 'there ain't no time like now' and few young people worry about tomorrow. So making provisions for retirement isn't a priority.

Today's 'children' aren't being 'put-upon' any more so than we were when we were working and paying into the system, while there were elders receiving benefits. We paid into it, we earned the benefits and our monthly payouts aren't being 'footed' by our working children. They'll get it back, partially or in full when they, hopefully, live long enough to qualify for and reap the benefits.

If you think that Social Security should be discontinued, please remember that, if you're getting benefits, your's will be discontinued, too.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 72

Cola used is very deceptive. It is based on bundled things seniors never use. And again, while Cola is increased only 1.5% or less or no, Medicare will raise premiums some time by 3% to 5% (though Medicare may not have raised providers charges) & will allow MediGap, Plan D premiums to go up from 5% to 10%, drug prices will go up 100% to 500% in some case, making seniors in Dought Hole quickly, later on higher deductibles.

There should separate seniors COLA based on things seniors use most like food prices, drug prices, MediGap/Plan D premiums, drug prices etc.

Similarly there should be separate Seniors Rate of Interest linked to mortgage rates, so those seniors who save some wisely can survive.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 72

Like us, most older citizens, etc. aren't so well off they don't Cola. The problem is what the government has done to Social Security. They take this money we earned over the years and use it any way they please. We have no say in the matter. When we did get cost of living increases, you might have been able to buy a little more toilet paper for the year.

We need cost of living increases every year and they should be retroactive. That will never happen. All seniors need help and they care a lot. It only looks like they don't. After years and years of our letters, etc. being ignored plus, if they do answer, the only word they know is NO!

Kudos
Views