AARP’s "Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families" can help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to receive a free copy.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: SS cola

Message 31 of 72

Well, I don't think I have it "so good." Been working since I was 16, got a master's degree in social work and never made more than $42,000 in any year. I am grateful for the nearly $1200/month I get but I don't call that having it easy. Finding an affordable rent gets harder and harder. Food prices are so high I cannot even fathom how families do it. Entertainment? Eating out? No way. Got to be happy with Netflix and a pizza. Thankfully I am.

We need COLAs every year. Another writer was right on the mark when he said lack of a 5% COLA is a 5% paycut. How DARE Congress not assist all of us hard working people!

The truth is families are one fateful accident or illness away from being out on the streets. Senator Elizabeth Warren wrote about this and called it "Middle Class Families on the Precipice."

Save money? Ludicrous! People barely make enough to cover their CURRENT bills let alone save for the future.

And what does Congress do? Give corporations $92 million in corporate welfare. Hikes interest rates on student loans. Enjoys a Cadillac health plan but wants to undo Obamacare. Subsidizes the top oil companies even though they rake in record profits. Allows a lack of regulations to lead to an economic meltdown and holds no one accountable. Passes laws that benefit big business but doesn't assist the small business person just starting out. Sends people to die to protect the "national interests" which translates into corporate interests (and they do it under the banner of "patriotism.") Those are certainly not MY interests.

As far as social Darwinism is concerned, those that have the power (money) are the fittest to survive - at least according to their actions.

The money that will be spent on this presidential campaign would probably come close to halving the national debt.

A government is supposed to look after the welfare of all the people. At least basic needs have to be met e.g. food, shelter, clothing. What other reason could there be for even having a government? Whether it is law enforcement, education, medical institutions -  all these arms are in service to the PEOPLE - not just the 1% of the people.

I've spend a lifetime assisting the disadvantaged -  the poor, the neglected, the sexually abused, refugees trying to make a better life for their kids, the severely mentally ill, families in crisis - and now I struggle to make ends meet. I don't feel one iota of remorse. The boomers challenged everything in every stage of life. It's time for Gen Xers, Gen Ys and Millenials to take up the banner, get into leadership roles and craft a government that actually cares for its people.

Here's the real story on SS: —Social Security benefits are entirely self-financing. They are paid for with payroll taxes collected from workers and their employers throughout their careers. —These taxes are placed in a trust fund (to prevent intergenerational showdown) dedicated to paying benefits owed to current and future beneficiaries.

Even though Social Security began collecting less in taxes than it paid in benefits in 2010, the trust fund will continue to accrue interest and grow until 2025, and will have adequate resources to pay full benefits for the next 26 years.

The US government has over $2 trillion more in Social security taxes than it has paid out; so where is that money? —The federal government has “borrowed” all of that trust fund money and spent it.

Bernie has my vote!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 72

All my working life I planned and saved for my retirement.  Because I grew up hating clothes, I honestly thought I would retire to a nudist colony or at laest a deserted island so I would not have to wear clothes.  After a very bad recession that some of us were lucky to have survived, I am now living on nothing more than social security in a retirement community for seniors living on low incomes. 

I am grateful that in my life time I have had plenty of experience at adjusting my attitude.

I do not sit around and get depressed because the end of my life did not turn out to be what I planned for.  I am happy I have a dry roof over my head, a nice apartment in a neighbor accessible to places I need to get to and I spend my time -- making clothes among other things.  Talk about an attitude adjustment!

I thought I would share this so you would know that life for a lot of seniors is not easy.  No increase in SS this year but the price of food goes up.  Really that was not good news.  Gas prices are down.  I cannot afford to own a car or drive.

However, I get around on an electric motor scooter that tops out at 12 miles an  hour.  Iam a survivor!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 72
We did pay into those programs but due to inflation what we paid in, and did cover SS for decades the inflation does not cover SS. Of course, the money does cover our costs associated with taking people in from the Middle East and paying for their housing, schooling and medical expenses. We need to take care of our own people FIRST ! Why are we so quick to be the bankers of the world especially when we owe so much money to the Chinese government
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 72
You bet ya. The yawhos in office always get their raises to bad that we can not dock their pay like they do us.
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 72

If our legislators are ignoring us, it may be time to take to the streets!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 72
jrj90620. I read your comments and understand what you are saying. Even agree with some of your comments. I want to add that "if" you had a paying job with taxes taken out, you also had money coming out of your paycheck to pay for those then on SS. THAT IS THE WAY THAT SYSTEM WORKS. also, not everyone on SS can get Medicaid, even when SS is their only source of income. Reason, their SS payments may be only $50.00 above some set income limit thus disqualifying many in need of financial assistance. I am such a person. I suggest to you donate the next cost of living increase, whenever that may happen, to a charity if you do not need the little increase. This system does not work very well for single income individuals or families. WISHING YOU PEACE and HAPPINESS
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 72

I am more interested in getting all of the social security I earned.  I am living in one of the 7 states where the retirees only get 2/3rds of the social security benefit that they earned before they were employed by the state.  The 2 laws that should be repealed are the WEP and GPO. I only get about $300 a month.  I get 26,000 gross in state retirement.  I could certainly live a lot more comfortably if I got my full social security benefit.  I did not know that I wouldn't get my full social security benefit when I retired from the state.  It would be nice to be more comfortable knowing I would not have to pinch every penny.  I thought retirement is the "Golden Age"

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Presidential Candiates

Message 38 of 72
Oil prices are down; we don't deserve a raise? I've been told those in our Federal Gov. received a 3% raise this year. Go figure!!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 72

I think it is a shame that the government didn't give us our COLA.  I feel like the government always take from those who need it most.  I worked and paid into the system.  I think they can afford to pay.  I think they should give us our COLA.  I am sure they got a raise this year and they already make big salaries.  I can't speak for everybody but, most people on Social Security need that money.  We don't just want it.  We need it and for all of you rich people out there who don't need it; I am happy for you.  But, I hope you don't have children or grandchildren who might need it years from now.  The COLA is not about the greedy it is about the needy.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 72

I raised four children while working full time and did it very frugally and was able to even save a little money, but due to health I had to retire at the correct age of 66 not be able to work til 70.  I am very grateful for this program and agree that we are lucky to have it and when there is no raise, it does not bother me.  What bothers me is the half baked reasons they give you for it.  It is an insult.  When you see movies like the Big Short, Wall Street,  Madoff and the SEC blunders and all the corruption, basically had it been managed correctly, there should be enough money.  As far as the children go, every one I know showers their children with suff and these kids have everything.  I have seen people go through hundreds of thousands of dollars they were given and it is all gone.  Bernie Sanders wants everyone to go to college tuition free.  How will that work. 

Kudos
Views