Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

SS cola

Message 1 of 72

New to board, very surprised to see very few post on lack of cola in SS this year, everyone here so  well off they don't require a raise or simply ignore it. I believe this will be a trend in future for seniors neither party will speak on the lack of cola, I have written my Representatives and never received an answer. It appears to me neither party considers seniors a voting block. I had a professor tell me 40 years ago after year 2000 seniors would be ignored in America, at the time I disagreed but now seems he was correct.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: SS cola

Message 2 of 72

@kd8129 wrote:

New to board, very surprised to see very few post on lack of cola in SS this year, everyone here so  well off they don't require a raise or simply ignore it. I believe this will be a trend in future for seniors neither party will speak on the lack of cola, I have written my Representatives and never received an answer. It appears to me neither party considers seniors a voting block. I had a professor tell me 40 years ago after year 2000 seniors would be ignored in America, at the time I disagreed but now seems he was correct.

@kd8129   -  I am not really up for getting into discussion at the moment, but want to assure you that I am at least one person here who is not so well off that I don't need a raise. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 72

kd8129 wrote:

"...... very surprised to see very few post on lack of cola in SS this year, everyone here so  well off they don't require a raise or simply ignore it. I believe this will be a trend in future for seniors neither party will speak on the lack of cola......". It appears to me neither party considers seniors a voting block......".

You understand (?) that the issue is due to how cost-of-living is calculated ---- using an old formula. So it's not as if  your reps decide whether to raise SS benes every year or not. Having said that, there has been a proposal to change the formula. But it's complicated. I see it as similar to discussions on overhaul of the tax code. Virtually everyone says it needs to be done, but it's so difficult, and few people are trying to tackle it.

And remember, more to this. Depending on who you read, starting in 2010, SS is paying out more than it's taking in. That's a trend that will increase exponentially. Some projections show SS will be gone in 20 years. So, you then have the issue of how to raise revenue. It's a bad economy, only getting worse in many trends.

All of this doesn't help you. Just stating that the issue is complex and as usual, your government doesn't want to deal with complex, time-consuming issues.  

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 72

You will hate my reply but let's be honest here. Seniors have it good.

We get working people to subsidize our social security check http://bit.ly/1WvNB2R, we get them to subsidize our heath care; the really low income get further subsidized via Medicaid.

I think when we have an atypical year with low inflation and no cola adjustment, we should just stay quiet. I often wonder why my children don't rebel with all of the transfers that occur from their paycheck to us.

It's not like the money comes from nowhere--it comes right out of your children's paychecks.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 72

"...You will hate my reply but let's be honest here. Seniors have it good....".

No. We had any number of discussions on SS and it comes down to your perspectives and finances. I don't need SS, so it's easy to say that it's all good, COLA or no COLA. But most people don't have solid finances.

And yes, you have working people subsidizing, but we were those working people. So. we paid into these programs (and I realize that most people get more out of SS than they paid in, something I believe a great many people forget).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 72

Well, yes; we were the working class and paid into those programs. But SocSec was never supposed to be one's sole retirement source. The fact that it is, for many people, is as you say, a very complicated issue with no easy solutions.

When you consider that the current crop of Republican candidates is eager to dismantle both Medicare/Medicaid and SocSec, it does make one wonder what happened to the idea of compassion, equality, and helping others. So it's all right for individuals but not for corporations or government? 

It does lead one to think about issues in human terms.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 72

Sorry but I can't seem to find the SS topic that I wish to talk about so I chose this one. I am 65 (66 in Aug), AARP member, retired, and NOT currently drawing SS. I was planning on exercising spousal claiming strategy for SS after my wife turned 66 next year. But suddenly, and with no (known) comment from our organization (AARP) that option disappeared for those under 66 as of April 1, 2016. I personally stand to lose approx $80,000. More than $11 billion in SS benefits were eliminated without so much as a word (that I know of) from the AARP. Why is there no voice of opposition. How can this happen to those of us on the brink of claiming? What claiming strategies are left?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 72
I am one of those who could use the raise.
Edward C, Foster, and my wife Sally L.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 72

AARP articles on eliminating "file and suspend" and eventually "restricted application" praised this move by Congress included in the budget act, so don't look to AARP to help you out on this one.  Just the fact that these benefits were taken away so suddenly will impact many that had planned on that extra money to retire, some that already might have retired. There is much talk about "free college" from presidential candidates, but legislators from both parties and the president think it's just fine to take benefits from seniors.  Says volumes, doesn't it? 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 72

With actual inflation,not phony govt statistics,near 5%,then no increase in SS meant that there was a 5% cut.Considering govt is bankrupt,you can expect this and more reduction,in the future.

Kudos
Views