Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Prevent Paying Early to Renew Membership

Message 1 of 7

I got an offer in late 2016 to renew my membership for 1, 3, or 5 years and get a FREE Red & Gray Insulated Travel Bag. I looked up in my finance program to see when I last renewed and found that it was July of 2013. I made a note then that the $49 I paid by check was a 5 year renewal from my then-current expiration date of April 2014. If you make a habit of keeping a record of when and for how long you renew EVERYthING, you will not be making payments for 5 years from April of 2019 like I might have if I hadn't checked. Golly gee, a lot of us are old enough to die before 2024! The suggestion to avoid the hassle of renewal notices by signing up for automatic renewals is not necessarily going to keep you from receiving offers of incentives to renew early. I never do that anymore, having been burned more than once. Oh, and that latest offer I got? It had a tear off portion labeled "For Your Records" that shows Valued Member (not my name) and a Reply By date of March 31, 2017. I can't help thinking someone wanted me to think that was my expiration date. There was no indication of my actual April 2019 expiration date. This "offer" came to me from AARP Membership Center in Long Beach CA. Perhaps it went out to Valued Members, just to make sure we all had a chance to get that cute free travel bag.

SauteeBarb
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Prevent Paying Early to Renew Membership

Message 2 of 7

@SauteeBarb wrote:

I got an offer in late 2016 to renew my membership for 1, 3, or 5 years and get a FREE Red & Gray Insulated Travel Bag. I looked up in my finance program to see when I last renewed and found that it was July of 2013. I made a note then that the $49 I paid by check was a 5 year renewal from my then-current expiration date of April 2014. If you make a habit of keeping a record of when and for how long you renew EVERYthING, you will not be making payments for 5 years from April of 2019 like I might have if I hadn't checked.

This ploy is used by many subscription services. I negotiate Time Magazine for $29.95 for three years, a pretty good price (.18 an issue). No sooner does the subscription start then I start receiving renewal notices.

Same goes for AARP. I negotiated $31.00 for 5 years and every so often, I receive a renewal, and as you, my subscription isn't up until the end of 2019.

I too, keep a record of my renewal dates, I do not accept auto renewals, and I negotiate anything that is by subscription...... you can save a couple of hundred dollars a year doing this.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

@nctarheel wrote:

@SauteeBarb wrote:

If you make a habit of keeping a record of when and for how long you renew EVERYthING, you will not be making payments for 5 years from April of 2019 like I might have if I hadn't checked.

I too, keep a record of my renewal dates, I do not accept auto renewals, and I negotiate anything that is by subscription...... you can save a couple of hundred dollars a year doing this.

@SauteeBarb and @nctarheel

Keeping records is an excellent plan. I like to keep important dates like this on my laptop's searchable calendar. 

For the AARP membership, though, I had a different plan. When I was 52 I bought a lifetime membership for $200. Should I live to 95 years (an excellent chance) my AARP membership will have cost me $4.65 annually. No renewal dates to track, no fees to negotiate, ever. If the annual membership fee was $16 (which it was when I bought the lifetime version), to break even we only have to live another seven and a half years. That's 'we' because the lifetime membership includes my spouse. Not sure if the individual/annual membership does.

So anyway this is another method of simplification/savings for those young enough to make it worthwhile.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

How can I remove auto renewal? It is going to renew for 1 year $16.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

JUST RECEIVED RENEWAL LETTER. PAID FOR THREE YEAR RENEWAL 01-04-16, WHY ANOTHER RENEWAL NOTICE?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

@BobbyA493939 wrote:

JUST RECEIVED RENEWAL LETTER. PAID FOR THREE YEAR RENEWAL 01-04-16, WHY ANOTHER RENEWAL NOTICE?

Hey @BobbyA493939, I'm just a run of the mill site user, so don't think I'm responding for AARP, but, seriously, this is only 5 months early, is that such a problem for you?  I mean, you know the membership fee is due, and now have been reminded to budget for it. Isn't that actually a good thing?

I'd just put that renewal in the recycle bin, though, because the notices that come later in the year are likely to have special offers in them. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 7

Here I am again, folks and that's because I received a renewal notice a full year before my membership expires (9/19).

But see, I don't mind.

Why???

Because, just as I do with Time Magazine as noted in my post above (ie negotiating a 3 year subscription of Time, a weekly magazine for a cost of $30 for 3 years or 19 cents a copy), I also negotiated with AARP.

I got the five year membership from 2014 to 2019 for $31 and now I have renewed for 5 more years, starting in September of 2019, expiring in September 2024, for another $31... or approximately $6.00 a year. A lifetime membership at $200 would be the same as me paying for 33 YEARS at the same time. That wouldn't be for me because I'd be well into my 100's if I did that option.

Don't forget, negotiate with anything you have a subscription with, newspapers, satellite radio, AARP, or magazines. You will usually do better than their advertising will indicate.

AND I AM STILL GETTING THE SPECIAL GIFT!!!!!

Kudos
Views