Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Paying for assisted living

Senior needs to move into a assited living appartment, he can afford the rent but the moving cast are $6000. Are there any programs the will help pay for the move in cost?

Honored Social Butterfly

@ErnestD779875 wrote:

Senior needs to move into a assited living appartment, he can afford the rent but the moving cast are $6000. Are there any programs the will help pay for the move in cost?

What could he be moving for that price ?

Is he disabled and there is a lot of equipment?

Is he moving cross country or to another country all together?

Assisted Living places aren't all that big or do they need to be -

Think I moved everything my mother needed with a small box truck and a couple of guys and they were done in no time for a price less than $ 300.

Details are important to give you a good reply.- so why are the moving cost so much?

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Honored Social Butterfly

He may be referring to a 'move in' cost which is an upfront fee. It may be the 'entrance cost'.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Honored Social Butterfly

@retiredtraveler wrote:

He may be referring to a 'move in' cost which is an upfront fee. It may be the 'entrance cost'.

Yep, that could be it -

I am trying to think how it worked for my Mom when she entered Assisted Living.

Yes, there could have been an upfront deposit and then a paid in advance 1st month base cost.

Unless he is a veteran, I don't know of any actual financial help for this sort of upfront cost - he can talk to the long term care ombudsman which is an advocate for the residents - many places either have them on staff or have contact for them depending upong the tsize, scope and type of senior living facility.

I hope that he does understand that the "rent" covers only specific things and a very basic care level - like medication disbursement, meals, snacks, cleaning, laundry - it might include only an accompaning level of care - like they are around when you bath - but if you begin to need higher levels of care like more assistance in bathing or them actually bathing you - the amount goes up based on the level of care.

The level of care is determined by an entrance questionaire, then monitored to make sure that that level is sufficient.  Then these levels are reviewed periodically to determine if a higher level is needed or not.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP