Meet Age-Defying People Doing Incredible Things — and Disrupting Aging. Share Your Story

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: My secret to budgeting

Message 1 of 86 (495 Views)
Menbugme wrote:
Lesherie is there any possible way to try out your MONEY finance program? I have not really found anything that works for me without having to go in and add/change/or remove categories. My email is XXXX@gmail.Com
I don't know if it is something you can "attach" as a file or not....but thought I'd ask. Just in case you do send something over, perhaps you could put in the subject line AARP money???
Much appreciated and may you and your family be blessed during this Holiday season!!!!

It's against AARP's TOS & not a safe idea, to include your personal e-mail address in a public post. Please go to your post & use the "Options" drop-down, and select "Edit Reply", to remove your e-mail address, then post the revision.

If you want to reach someone privately, you can click on their screen name, which takes you to their profile page. On the right side in the middle of the screen, is a link "send this user a private message". You can give them your personal e-mail address that way .. if you think you know them well enough & trust them.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker +

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 86 (499 Views)

Lesherie is there any possible way to try out your MONEY finance program? I have not really found anything that works for me without having to go in and add/change/or remove categories. My email is
Menbugme@[domain].Com
I don't know if it is something you can "attach" as a file or not....but thought I'd ask. Just in case you do send something over, perhaps you could put in the subject line AARP money???
Much appreciated and may you and your family be blessed during this Holiday season!!!!

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 86 (564 Views)
don't buy things that are REALLY needed
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 86 (654 Views)

You have said very much. Help me understand.

!.) Where and how does one find free online courses?
2.) How to set up a spread sheet?

3.) hat is a Mint ?

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 86 (694 Views)
simple but true. I like it, Dove

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 86 (811 Views)
jo1044 wrote:
I am trying to find free puzzles to play--jigsaw puzzles

If you look near the top of the screen, on the right side, you'll see a button for "GAMES" .. click on that. Then click on the button for "all games", and they'll be listed. You can click on "alphabetical", so it's easier to search.

On the second screen of the alphabetical listing, you'll see two Crossword listings; one "Easy" and the other "Expert". Actually there's a 3rd listing for "Daily Crossword" a little further down.

Have fun!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 86 (1,041 Views)
I am trying to find free puzzles to play--jigsaw puzzles
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 86 (1,106 Views)

hi

Richva wrote:

This is NOT rocket science but I wanted to share it with someone and you all "got lucky",  

Decades ago, my wife and I tried to start a small business and it did not work out. My previous company took me back so I had a good salary but nothing left in the bank.  I was forced to pay off my credit cards from savings in order to get a home loan when we moved back.  I realized I had no plan for staying out of debt and building my assets.  I did accounting, for God's sake. I should be able to figure this our. 

I started with a spreadsheet (since moved to Quicken but  you can do this in Mint; which is online and free).  I realized that, if I planned to pay off the credit card every month, there was no difference between charging something and writing a check. If I write a check, it takes time to clear but I know it is coming. Same with the credit card charge. So, I recorded them EXACTLY the same way and I can tell exactly how much money I had to spend.  

Then, the quarterly auto insurance bill hit. The logical question?  Why does this put a hole in my budget for one month when I KNOW it is coming?  So, I added a deduction to my calculations for auto insurance and then looked to see what other quarterly, semi annual, and annual bills I knew were coming. I can't tell you the warm feeling when the next quarterly auto insurance bill arrived and I had already put aside money for it. 

Finally, a friend turned me on to Quicken and I just track all of this in there.  I run a daily report of checking-credit cards-accruals and I know if I can afford to buy a second beer this week.  It works!!!

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 86 (1,114 Views)

When my first husband was overseas with the Navy, his allotment came once a month.  I learned how to make the money stretch and even put some in savings.  I subtracted the obligations from the available money and divided the remainder by 4 for a weekly "allowance".  When we divorced, I went from a twice-a-month paycheck to a monthly child support payment.  Again, I used my previous experience to make the money stretch.  I went back to school and received financial aid, which I also tucked away and took out only what I needed to fill in the gap.  Even after I got a regular career, I stuck to balancing my budget with this tried and true method.  Now that I'm retired, I find myself with a once-a-month income.  My husband also receives social security and a pension.  Using what I have always done, I will be able to make it last, filling in the gaps with access to my retirement account.  

Message 10 of 86 (1,155 Views)

amcoffiebean wrote:

I'm looking forward to reading thru this entire post!  I can't believe after all these 60+ years I finally created a budget sheet. I looked at the online programs like Mint, etc, the free versions, and at first glance they were overkill.  I have a pinhead knowledge of Excel, but I googled how to set up a budget spreadsheet and found this on WikiHow http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Personal-Budget-on-Excel and there are a tons more how-tos, but this is so simple, and simple is my motto.  It took a couple of hours to set up a template, which included doing the entire year in recurring-exact-amount  monthy expenses like insurance, but now it's good forever.  I didn't need an accountant's spreadsheet, I'm not asking for a huge reconciliation, just seeing on paper exactly where my money is going.  The most tedious entry is the grocery receipt because I wanted a detailed accounting of what I was spending on Fritos vs what I was spending on food necessities.  And I included Grandkids food as an item, because when the Grandkids come to stay, we go ape at the grocery store and in 3 months I'm realizing how overly ape we get. We are moving onto retirement in about 2 years so we are starting the cutback now; and this simple spreadsheet so helps target the "Fritos" throughout that will be very very limited or gone all together.

Sounds like you are ready to rock and roll.  While reading your post, the thought occured to me that you might want to keep it simple at first like just posting the entire grocery bill instead of each item.   My reasonins is that it is going to take a while to figure out how you want this to look and work so less is better until you know what you are working with. Plus, it IS tedious and I am not sure of the value in knowing how much toothpaste you bought last year. 

As regards Mint (I like Mint because it is free and if you get hacked, they can't use it to log into your financial accounts), I just looked at the totals:

Balance in Checking Account

(Balance on Credit Card One)

(Balance on Credit Card Two)

------------------------------------

How much I can spend and still pay off the cards