From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Lucrative Investments

Message 21 of 36
Been thinking of going towards CD's, got some homework to do :-)
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 36
This is good advice, I will take a look at the web sites. Thank You
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 36

For beginners a good and easy book " How to invest $50-5000" by Nancy Dunham. Computershare.com and Amstock.com are places to start with out a lot of money

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 36

Low fee index mutual funds or ETFs.  Fees chip away at your returns over time.  Diversify, stocks, bonds, cash in savings account or CDs. Don't take more risk than you can deal with financially or emotionally.  If you use an investment adviser use a fee only adviser use one who is a a fiduciary..  They have a legal obligation to act in your best interests.  Stock brokers don't.  Investopdia.com is a very informative site.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 36
Thanks for your reply :-)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 36

I undertstand your situation, but if you are AARP age, I'm afraid it is too little too late. Sounds like a receipe for losing the extra money you have. So BEWARE of free advice. If you have not experience in investing in the stock market, options, deriviatives, Bitcoin, etc. this is no time to start learning or to give the money to an expert. The stock market is frought with pitfalls and no place for someone who can't afford to lose their money and then double down again! Bank portfolios offer little so might as well pass until the CD rate get above 3%. That might be a year or two off, but would be a good play at that time, but again, limited budget, is not enough to live off the interest. You would need $1,000,000 to make that work. My best idea is one that I have used and continue to use throughout my life, REAL ESTATE. You need enough limited budget to swing a downpayment and rent the place for income. You must be careful and crunch the numbers, but it can pay off with a modest check in you pocket every month. At least enough to sustain you self with your SSA benefits. Good Luck.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 36

Hi,

Do your homework!

Solutions

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 36

This is what i do.

I only buy stocks in the dow 30. The price earnings ratio (P/E) for the for the up coming year has to be forecast to be between 13 and 17 and the dividend yield has to be above 2.75%.  Everytime I buy a stock I also enter an order for a stop-loss which is initially 10% below the original stock purchase price in order to limit potential losses to 10% on my investments. I monitor my investment every Satuday morning. If the stock price is down the following saturday from the original purchase price then I do nothing and leave my stop-loss order in place (thereby keeping my potentail loss at 10%.If the stock price goes up during the week I then make a note to myself to change the stop-loss Monday morning so that the new stop loss is 10% of the higher closing price on Friday.

For example. If I bought stock for $30, my original stop loss order selling price would be $27. If the price went down by the following Saturday to $28 I would keep my stop-loss order at $27.  If the stock price went up by the following Satuday to $32 I adjust my stop-loss order price to $28.8 per share. Over time you either limit your loss to 10% of the initial purchase price or your stock value increases to a point were your weekly stop-losses are set at a price in excess of the original purchase price thereby locking in future gains in excess of your original purchase price plus the accompanying dividend income (which tend to increase each year from companies inthe Dow 30).

I also always wait until Monday morning before I make trades just to see what the stock futures are looking like. If they look bleak I wait until after the market opens  If it looks like a strong open for the market I usually place my stop-loss orders abot 20 minutes before the market opens.

One other thing I do is to use limit orders when I buy stocks. I don't usually make market orders.

After that, I don't look at my stocks until the following Satuday even if a stop-loss order is triggered during the week. I'll deal with it on the next Saturday. In the meantime the dividends keep on rolling in.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 36

You can put a trailing stop in for the 10% and it can keep going up but sells if it drops 10%. You can vary the % to your preference, mine is often 5%.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 36

Do not invest with the first person you talk to.  Investing is a very diversified area, and you need someone with a good background, good reputation, and knowledge of current financial issues.  Shop around, find yourself a good broker/brokerage company   Make sure you check the fees involved.  Some are excessively high.  Do not try to do it alone, or with a family member.  You need someone with a good deal of experience.  Investing is a scary proposition.  Do it mindfully, and understand what you are doing.  Make sure you keep track of your transactions.  

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors