Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How do you support your local community?

Retired Community Manager

How do you support your local community?

Where we live is more than just a street address. Itโ€™s where we put down roots, whether temporarily or for a lifetime. Ideally, itโ€™s where we shop, dine, worship, send our kids to school, volunteer and make friends. Itโ€™s the place we call home. What are the ways you support your local community?

Periodic Contributor

I support Angels of Long Island who helps everyone.  

0 Kudos

I shop at Habitat before Improvent stores. I donate to thrift stores and buy there. I have been a part of the seniors petitioning for a senior activity center. I attend senior fitness classes. I attend town council meetings and give my input. I have been active in Walks for ALS and Brain Injuries also raising money for the organizations. The church I attended had a pantry that we were ask to fill with basic items on weekly or monthly basis. While I still worked I had amounts automatically sent to the charities of my choice out of every paycheck and in raising funds for gifts for children's Christmas gifts or other needs. I believe in giving back to the community. I want to organize a book club in the new library a block away. The community is my home I try to be responsible for it. I have worked several elections and try to choose those who really have the community at heart.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

I buy as much as possible locally, dine at local restaurants, and support both the Goodwill store and the ReStore store in my community.

0 Kudos
Contributor

i work at tne community center. where we give everything away free.

0 Kudos

I SHOP OR BUY IN LOCALL BUSINESSES BY MY HOME. I LIKE GOING INSIDE AND TALKING WITH THE OWNERS AND BROWSE, IF I SEE ANYTHING I LIKE I BUY OR MANY TIMES I REFER THAT STORE/SHOP TO MY FRIENDS.

0 Kudos

I volunteer at the Meriden Public Library Book Store in Ct ..4 hours a week on Monday evenings...Working with books and the public can and is very rewarding.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

We owned a small business for many years.  We sold it at age 70 and now feel like we are on our "retirement honeymoon."  While we enjoy chain restaurants when we are in a hurry, our dining out pleasure comes from the locally owned restaurants in our retirement community.  They are quieter, have more seating room, we don't feel rushed, and the menu choices vary from restaurant to restaurant.  The chains typically have burgers, wings, chicken, steaks, all prepared with similar ingredients.   We prefer the varied menus and ambience of locally owned restaurants.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

We primarily shop and eat locally. We also do a great deal of volunteer work, primarily in environmental issues. Wife is an AARP tax aide at our local library for several months each year. We've lived in the same place almost 40 years, so it's easy to become involved.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
Contributor

Being retired I have given back to my community by volunteering at our local food bank, at our art center and a member, at our Historical Society's book sale and a member, and chairing the Friends of the library cookie sale of which I am a member. 

Donna

Contributor

I volunteer to feed the homeless and work with my church to support other local outreach programs such as a food bank that we supply in a high risk community that doesn't have one.  I was a Red Cross volunteer for over 20 years and all of my children have and still give their time to volunteer to causes that are important to them.

There are several great restaurants and brew pubs in our neighborhood, like Pasta d'Arte, the BEST Italian restaurant this side of the Atlantic! We frequents the local places.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I volunteer two days a week at a nearby hospital.  I assist patients in applying for public benefits.  This also includes counseling them on benefits they are already receiving - helping them to respond to letters form SSA, SNAP, IRS and other public offices.  In addition, I serve as president of the hospital auxiliary - a non-profit corporation set up to raise money and use it on behalf of the hospital patients.

Contributor

We employ over 50 locals, we give a second chance minor offenders we work with the local work releaese center to help those who want it and deserve it. We manufacture eco-friendly products that are 100% recyclable.  

Contributor

We will always shop at the local stores for all of our shopping needs before we shop at a national chain. Even when we need to travel a little more to shop at the local store. By shopping at your local store you are giving back to your community and get to know the shops owners and workers.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I go to shop for clothes and allsorts of electronics and housewares at the thrift/resale shop in my city. The store is mission based and all the proceeds go to help emergency assistance for families in my community. I also take my donations there rather than a National organization like Goodwill or Salvation Army. Many of my church friends and neighbors support this resale shop aptly named , "The Coat of Many Colors". I also volunteer my time there type afternoons a week to support this local business/charity . We have a loyal following in the community!

my city

Super Contributor

I often visit a local consignment shop, both to shop for quality clothing at good prices and also to sell some gently used clothes and bags.  Since I'm retired, I really don't need any brand new department store clothes.  Plus it's fun to do some "treasure hunting" in this little store and also make a few bucks selling my own things I no longer wear.  

Honored Social Butterfly

My Drug mart in Ohio has 10% every Wednesday for senior citizens. They have usual variety of pharmacy items plus,hardware,office supply and food etc. Average weekly  savings is about $7.00 plus items that are on sale.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I moved to a small town southwest of Chicago with a population of nearly 16,000 a few years ago. I started to purchase my pet supplies from the local feed store rather than from online options with free delivery. This helps my community and this small local business paying less than online. They offer senior discounts and free delivery if needed. Plus, my dog and I can visit with the friendly staff and other patrons. It's a win, win for all of us.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP