Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you make the most of your money?

Message 11 of 55
Same with me. What happened to the info on eggshells?
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 55

One of the biggest ways I save money is to use coupons, paper & digital. Where I live, all supermarkets make coupons worth $1.00 no matter the face value, unless it's worth more than $1.00. Also they now all offer digital coupons that are attached to your loyalty card. Then on the 1st Wednesday of each month, 2 of them give seniors (55 & over) 10% off their shopping, not including the usual products such as alcohol & tobacco. Add all this up and one can stock up and save quite a bit of money. I take the time every Wednesday morning to go through all the ads online so I can add coupons to my digital shopping list & card. I also create a new handwritten shopping list based on need and items currently on sale. This is time-consuming, but well worth it at the register. And if I don't need to go to a store for something specific, I go to Walmart where they price match everything. This way I save time, money & gas by not running to each store. I've saved a lot of money through the years. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 55

Coupon like crazy and only shop sale items.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 55

I was taught to buy cheap stuff and never go anywhere fun or do anything fun and to always worry about money.  I worked many years and paid my bills on time and balanced my checkbook and never borrowed money from anyone (although I did loan money, but it got paid back!),  but made a few mistakes about men.  You also never know what will happen to you healthwise, or accidentwise.  You put money aside hoping to have a nice house, an easy retirement, then it all goes to medical bills. So it must be a balance between being irresponsible and never having any fun. At some point you're too old or sick to do the things you never did.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 55

I was raised  by poor parents, but I never knew we were poor, we always had a garden, and food to eat, mama had farm animals, cows, chickens , gees., And they  always found a way to pay for what they needed, mostly on time, but always making the payments when they were due. One of the things I can remember when we were in a store with mama and we would see a toy or something we wanted, she always said " Money doesn't grow on trees".  I guess I grew up with some of those same values, seldom thinking if I needed something I could just put it on a credit card, but saving until I had enough money to pay out right for it. My parents had good credit and I am 64 and have excellent credit, am I rich, nothing even close to that, but i do always try to make my payments on time and I often pay more than the min. payment.  I didn't go to college, because I wasn't interested in school that much but went to tech. school so I could go to work sooner.  My son didn't go to college either but I am hoping my grandchildren will have the opportunity  to.  I firmly believe that they should teach, " life skills" in school and have it in every grade so it is firmly planted in their brains.  Learning to be responsible for your own actions.  I always told my son to learn as much as he could as in trades, learn how to do many things as he never knew when he would need to  use it. And he has.  He is comfortable in his life right now.  One other thing I always tried to do was  live with in my means, dont over extend myself.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 55

I make the most of my money by prioritizing,the things that bring me joy I spend the most on like travel. I have found that being "green" usually also end up saving money. I am a credit counselor and I see how people waste money fancy electronics and eating out. I don't deny myself but I make sure that what I buy is of value to me and eating out less often makes it more special.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 55

"...I am a credit counselor and I see how people waste money fancy electronics and eating out....".

I hope you get combat pay. I can only imagine the kind of 'push-back' you must get from some clients. I wouldn't be able to counsel anyone --- I have no tolerance for people getting into money problems of their own making (I realize there are some that have issues beyond their control and need to learn how to deal with them).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 55
@retiredtraveler wrote:

.. I wouldn't be able to counsel anyone --- I have no tolerance for people getting into money problems of their own making (I realize there are some that have issues beyond their control and need to learn how to deal with them).

Friends have suggested I counsel people on managing their finances and/or de-cluttering, in retirement, but I feel the same way you do; I'd probably run out of patience. While some people sincerely would want to change, many would just fight tooth & nail not to have to change. They couldn't pay me enough to try to convince people that they need to change.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 55
I totally agree that schools should put finances above algebra or trig. My dad gave me a booklet "How to Handle Money" when I was young and I'm in my 60's and still have it. It taught basics of saving, banking, buying a home, understanding interest on loan, etc - all the basics and I read and learn with the times as they change. Also taught me not to buy things I cannot afford. You save for what you want and it helps not to buy impulse purchases that way. To this day, I'm debt free, own my home and car out right and retired. Thanks to my dad who was so level headed.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 55
@RobertaWMancillas wrote:
I totally agree that schools should put finances above algebra or trig. My dad gave me a booklet "How to Handle Money" when I was young and I'm in my 60's and still have it. It taught basics of saving, banking, buying a home, understanding interest on loan, etc - all the basics and I read and learn with the times as they change. Also taught me not to buy things I cannot afford. You save for what you want and it helps not to buy impulse purchases that way. To this day, I'm debt free, own my home and car out right and retired. Thanks to my dad who was so level headed.

That sounds like a good basic book; I wonder if it's ever been updated .. some things have changed since the 1950s & 60s. Maybe more about credit cards, and them being a real commitment even though they're not "money", online & TV shopping, phishing & other newer scams, etc.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users