Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How did/will you spend your tax refund?

Retired Community Manager

How did/will you spend your tax refund?

Just one week until taxes are due! Have you already filed? Have you already received your refund? If so, how did you spend it? Or, how will you spend your refund if you have one coming?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We will use our tax refund to help pay for our 2019 taxes
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Refund?  What’s that?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@2Papa wrote:

Refund?  What’s that?

Ditto - have never gotten one, but that is a good thing.

REFUND

noun
noun: refund; plural noun: refunds
/ˈrēˌfənd/
  1. 1.
    a repayment of a sum of money, typically to a dissatisfied customer    Woman Wink
It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Being retired my tax refund remains fairly constant and much simpler than previous years - based on planning.  When the date for mandatory IRA withdrawals began I created a simple spread sheet to estimate my taxes   (the 1040 math)   so I could plug in numbers and adjust the IRS RMD (required mandatory distribution) that I take sometime in the last two months of the year.  

Gold Conversationalist

Mine went "into the pot". Same as it always has.

This is the first year that I filed while I was retired. But I followed same process as for many years. I set up a budget at the start of the year and I don't plan on having a "blow out" by getting a tax refund. I've always tried to get the tax withheld to be about equal to my expected tax due.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I followed that same approach while I was working.  Why should I give the government my money to "hold" so it could give it back to me at the end of the year with no interest earned?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP