Take a look at how people age around the world with this AARP special report: A New Age.

Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Haggle Like a Pro With These Tips

Message 1 of 7

It never hurts to ask! Oftentimes, prices aren’t set in stone, but you’ll need to start a conversation. Use these tips to learn how to haggle like a pro — even if you hate it.

Have you ever secured a discount this way?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Haggle Like a Pro With These Tips

Message 2 of 7

@AARPLynne wrote:

Have you ever secured a discount this way?

How about $31 for five years of AARP membership rather than the $16 year they advertise so strongly? Or even the $49 for five years they advertise even stronger?

I got $31 for the next five years and I got $31 for the last five years.

I, in fact, haggle any subscription price as originally proposed and usually save upwards of 50% or more.

This includes XM radio, my local newspaper, Time magazine ($30 for three years of a weekly magazine, folks or about 19 cents a week), and my cable/Internet.

Even retail stores and sometimes your local grocery store (for example, if out of a product, many stores will give you a more expensive competitor's product at the same price as the out of stock product.... sometimes they'll give you the next larger size, again, at the price of the out of stock product) is open to haggling.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Way to go, @nctarheel!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

It never hurts to ask for a discount or something free no matter where you are.  The other day the local fish taco restaurant offered a free insulated lunch bag with their online coupon and a purchase (any purchase.).  Despite my advanced age, I ordered a "kid's meal" which came with a small all-you-can-drink soft drink.  I asked for a senior discount, but they don't offer one.  However, the clerk upgraded my drink to the largest soft drink cup available, plus gave me the free lunch bag (I had the coupon), and said "be sure to visit us again soon".  I will! 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

How about $31 for five years of AARP membership rather than the $16 year they advertise so strongly? Or even the $49 for five years they advertise even stronger?

I get my AARP membership for FREE every year through Walgreen's annual promo, usually in August.  You usually need to buy $20 worth of Walgreen's health and wellness products to qualify, send in the special receipt you get with purchase, and you'll get a free 1 year AARP membership (or 1 year renewal).  Check it out - I usually buy vitamins and Tylenol, etc to qualify.  It's a great program.  Thanks, AARP and Walgreen's!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Haggle Like a Idiot With These Tips

Message 6 of 7

I recntly went to a franchised retail outlet to get something. I dodn't want to pay for the overpriced item, so I went to the manager (a dumb kid younger than my stepson) and said :I can get this same item somewhere else for less!" Then the dumba$$ replied "So get it somewhere else!"I didn't but the thing there since there was no "somewhere else"!

-Bah!

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 7

Last time I bought a new car, I had made my final offer and was turned down so I got up and started out to my car to leave and the sales manager ran after me and said he had changed his mind and wound up giving me a better deal then I had even asked for!  

Kudos
Views