Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

HOW MUCH DO YOU PAY FOR AARP MEMBERSHIP?

Honored Social Butterfly

HOW MUCH DO YOU PAY FOR AARP MEMBERSHIP?

I have seen AARP advertise several different price points for their membership fees.

Since everyone receives the same level of service, unlike AAA which has different levels of service, then the membership fees should be consistent.

I called several years ago and negotiated with an AARP membership associate for a membership fee of $31.00 for 5 years or around $6.25 a year.

I've seen advertising for $16.00 a year, $12.00 a year, and $9.00 a year.

What are you paying?

Do you think it is fair that different members are charged different fees for the same services?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@naxos,

Many subscriptions such as SATELLITE RADIO, YOUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER, TIME MAGAZINE, AARP, YOUR CABLE PROVIDER and others would prefer to retain a subscriber at a discounted rate rather than lose the subscriber. In most cases, I just tell the subscription that I am discontinuing my subscription and that's enough.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Dear friend, I bought my "Lifetime Membership" back in 2004; back then couldn't sign up online; the AARP rep advised me of this option for $250 and I bought it.

Since then, I've purchased for Mom, Sis, Bro, and hope it'll still be option for kids. Kinda like life insurance, it may or may not be less, but what the heck 😉

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Honored Social Butterfly

At the $6.25 a year, your $250 would have bought me 40 years of membership. Seeing that I started at age 50, I would have to live to 90 to get the value that I have gotten. While I wouldn't mind living to 90, not likely to happen.

Regular Social Butterfly

True but my ggma lived to 105 and my gma to 100; so then I considered income in later years and thought even $5 a year for some of my elders would be expensive...

...and my gma was such a believer and supporter of Ethel Percy Andrus (being retired teacher). So whatever small leftover funds from our memberships would continue to assist someone somewhere, somehow...

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

God bless your long lived family.

My family, as a whole, doesn't make it much past their 60's and 70's with one exception. I had one aunt that bowled in a league and rolled a 202 when she was 90, drove until she was 92, and passed when she was 96.

As a matter of course, I always negotiate subscriptions. For example I am getting 3 years of Time magazine, generally a weekly magazine, for $30 total or about 20 cents an issue.

Regular Social Butterfly

What a sweet tribute! Your Aunt was definitely one of the most amazing women I've read about! I bowled for 30+ years (even as my "water broke" for first daughter 😉 and never got close to a 202! Thanks for sharing that great biography!

As an aside, one of my girls pointed out to me that since membership was no longer available to me at the discounted rate you bought in at, I did indeed get a bargain; medium $14 / year into $250 / lifetime = 21+/- years she thinks...

And she and SIL looking forward to their lifetime membership gift next January 🤗 

btw, we read e-mags from library free and don't worry wasting resources other than power for devices and internet; so there's that 😉

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@WebWiseWoman,

Just tonight, I was hit by an AARP advertisement pop-up that touted a membership fee of $12 a year.

That is a ridiculous 92% higher than what I presently pay for membership.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

$6.30 per year for 5 years, but I missed the deadline for an early renewal offer at a lower rate.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Well @TomD857140 , it seems like you and I got really good rates for a five year period. I wonder why there are other rates such as $12 per year and $16 per year quoted all the time by AARP while we got a membership fee of just over $6 a year.

Are there people that pay double or more than double what we pay for the same services?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP