Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Re: Getting rid of landline phone

Message 81 of 87

I can not afford to pay a century link and ATT how can I get a copper wire connection with phone service delivered thru the telecom bill my husband passed away can u please help me I am      80 years old.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 87

When I moved from Florida to rural Alabama, the local phone company simply refused to give me a land line of any type.  They say they have no available lines and have no intention of adding any.  Fortunately, my cell phone gets good coverage here.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 87
I need to get rid of my landline and rely solely on text. I live in a mobile home and the reception is terrible. I am on my daughters plan cellular wise. I need to become independent as it seems i am needing to be degraded to the grandchildren about mom paying for my service which is a third of $50 a month. I offered to pay. They make good money. I am a disabled widow. Anyhow, i appreciate all my daughter has done but need to b independent as not to foster any bad feeling with the family. Will not always have the ability to call emt’s if i need them because of lousy signal. Cant afford verizon. Have to go with a cheapo company.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 87

I got rid of my land line over 2 years ago. The only calls I was receiving was from telemarketers. Don't miss it at all.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 87

Getting rid of your landline depends on your individual circumstances.  OOMA is cheap but only if you subscribe to the lowest rate without the other bells and whistles.  If you want to decrease the number of robo calls, you have to pay NoMoRobo a fee to register a cell phone but not on a home phone.

I have Consumer Cellular for my landline and cellular provider and my home phone has the Smart Blocker feature so it screens the calls for me in addition to blocking the calls that I have put on the Block list.  Being retired, I spend most of my time at home so friends can reach me there on my "land line".  The problem with my cell phone is that I cannot/do not use it while driving nor can I use it when attending some events/meetings when I am out of the house but friends can always leave me a message at home on my home phone, which I return promptly; this works better than relying only on my cell phone.

My home phone answering system announcement also starts with:  "Hello, please put this number on your DO NOT CALL list if you are a telephone solicitor.  Friends, please identify yourself and we'll answer if available, othewise we shall return your call as soon as we can."

This tends to screen out a lot of callers, which may then added to my Smart Caller Block list on my home phone.  I have friends listed on my Smart Caller Allow list so they are not blocked when calling us.

This setup seems to work best for us but you need to assess your particular situation.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 87

I have kept my landline phone for I do not have good cell reception where I live.  The cell phone will cut out on calls or sometimes I have to go outside to send a message. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 87

@rg14198798 

If you have smartphone and WiFi, you can increase range of cell phone into house and maybe 20-30 feet outside (depending) by using that cell phone and router.

Any telco or cell provider should be capable of telling you how to do it.

Won't really work with dial internet using modem.

Check out howardforums.com for extending your cell phone reach even if you live in mobile homes, you should be able to search there, using your cell phone make and model to get suggestions.

Yep, been there on coverage, second cell signal hit my horsehair plaster walls went to 1-bar. Now, I use WiFi and $10 WiFi extender from Walmart.

second option might be magnetic antenna mount like used on cars. Instead of attaching to car, attach to roof of trailer and entire metal roof becomes a planar roof, worked on camp on lake. Where previously I had to climb a tree to get cell signal😇.

Really check out Howardforums.com for suggestions.

If your kids or others are military active/retired/late they can get you better discounted plans like ATT, Verizon, etc with 10-20% off on real plans.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE