Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Getting rid of landline phone

Message 61 of 80

VOIP is, of course, popular but I know of no one that has theeir router installed properly.  There should be a physical wire from the router to the outside to function as an antenna for location determination.

WiFi calling resolves that issue in your own home.  When you set up WiFi calling, you must put in your address.  When the address can not be determined via the antenna, that address is used.  The downside is that you could be using WiFi calling elsewhere (naturally, with no antenna) and your home address will be given.  That's why it's ESSENTIAL to always give your actual address to the 911 operator.

The only surefire solution is POTS but virtually no one uses that anymore.

~~~
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 80

What we seem to forget is that 1, cell phones are easily lost and or stolen, 2, and most importantly they are not the best healthwise especially considering the frequency with which we would have to use them if we cut our landlines, and 3, with towers constantly being overloaded, after working for a wireless company fact is, an old-fashioned landline is a credible backup.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 80

Ditched my landline years ago. Never looked back. Why? SPAM calls! They never quit! Day, night, weekends, holidays. And it's NEVER anyone I want to speak with. 24 hours after we dropped the landline my wife looked-up from reading the newspaper and said, "It's so quiet!"

My cell never rings unless it is someone I know. NEVER! If I don't know who is calling, the call isn't ignored, it just automatically goes directly to voicemail. Just like the 'good old days' of landline when you weren't home. If they don't leave a message I probably didn't want to speak with them. If they do, and it turns out I will need to hear from them again, I add them to my contacts list and next time they call the phone rings normally. 

Tell me how to do that with 100% RELIABILITY on your landline. And you know that 'Do Not Call' thing is worthless, right? (Hint: It only works for the 'good guys'.) Don't want to be disturbed by anyone while on that special night out? Simple. Either leave it home or just turn it off!

Who says technology is a bad thing? Sure, you can waste a lot of time doing other things with it, but do you have to? It's called 'will-power'. Try it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 80

Most if not all cell phones have voice mail capability.  I'm not sure I understand, or at least apprciate your second point.  I only want people/businesses calling me that I've shared my number with.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 80
If you've shared your number with them, chances are they are already in your contacts list, yes? If not, very easy to do it.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 80
I have lived in 2 states since my husband passed. I am now 81 years old. I have not had a landline since he passed. Lost power during storms but able to recharge in other ways. EMS had no problems locating me. Had them wait 1 hour with me so they could get ambulance with backboard to transfer me to hospital after a fall. Cell phone has worked fine. Lived in Cary, NC & Tampa, FL.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 80

I just wish there was a better solution to being on hold all the time. You'd think texting would fix that problem. But, it doesn't seem to be that popular yet. Being on hold really eats-up/ties-up the minutes/service for no good reason. I'd bet that alone would relieve a lot of traffic-jams/dropped-calls.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 80

I gave up the landline tether 5 years ago and only regret it when I have misplaced my phone and can’t call it to find it

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 80

I removed the landline years ago.  Probably 10 at this point.  Mainly because of the extreme cost of local service with Verizon.  I have Consumer Cellular that works just great for half the cost I had to pay with Verizon.  I have had no issues and a big plus is the lack of sales calls. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 80

I still have my landline phone as well as my cell.  I live in a valley between 2 mountains and cell reception is bad - most times only have one bar, and on good days maybe 2.  If I want to carry on a conversation, my landline is needed.  I take my cell phone in the car when I travel, but at home I still need my landline.

Kudos
Views