Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Getting rid of landline phone

Message 51 of 81

I use Roku. Internet only is needed to access a lot of thousands of stations in a platter. These cable TV companies are a ripoff! Crackle, free, TubiTV free. Free news from around the world. Netflix, $9 a month no commercials! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 81

In addition to having a cell phone, I have maintained a landline using a voice over IP service such as Majic Jack, which only costs about $25 per YEAR.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 81

I will have a home phone forever for one very important reason:  a cellphone does not provide an exact location for you.  I worked emergency services communications for over 30 years, and the level of ability to locate a caller on a cellphone is sketchy.  Depending on the age/sophistication of your phone, your provider, and system used (triangulation off towers, etc.) you can get close, but not exact.  So if you have had a stroke and manage to dial 911 but cannot speak, response to you will be much slower if you're calling on a cell phone because the medics will literally have to look for you, going house to house or apartment to apartment.  With a landline (or VOIP, I don't know about Ooma), your address is displayed and help can get to you.  If you're hiding in a closet because there's a burglar in your home and you're afraid to speak, or if you're involved in a domestic violence situation and can dial 911 and leave the line open, police/fire/medics can find you.  On a cell phone, the might get a 100 yard radius where you're located - see how many apartments fall into that category in a large, multi-storey apartment complex.  Even if you only keep the most basic home phone service, that's enough to potentially save your life.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 81

Cell phone WiFi calling elminates the issue that concerns you.

~~~
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 81

If your phone has that capability, yes.  Mine does not.     And I never have to worry about charging my home phone and having it die on me before help gets here. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 81

In Colorado, we dropped our landline (and our DSL as well, since its speed was terrible) and went strictly with cellphone service and cable internet. When we moved to Iowa (job-related), we had to get a landline. We live in a "hole" - tall bluffs on three sides and a steep road to more hills on that one other side, so we get almost no (and intermittent) cell signal. We had considered just going with DSL for our wifi when we first moved in - until we discovered the cellphone problems. So, yeah; we still have the landline. We *could* go with a bundle from the cable company here, but their service is SO bad (they're rated one of the worst in the country), I'd rather go with smoke signals and watch TEEVEE on the microwave than go with them for our internet and phone services.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 81

I  will not get rid of my landline. I pay $15 a month for straightalk and can take it where I go , since i work and live in  different states. When at home once, I suffered a stroke and could not see nor walk. I crawled to my end table in my living room and yanked the phone off the table and was barely able to call for help I have since recovered and had heart surgery. 

there was no way i could "find" my cell phone and half the time they don't have a signal, lose their charge, etc. 

Kudos to phones that are landlines, and hardwired at that!! no rechargeables for me! 

I was told if I had not called for help I would have died there in my home. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 81

I still keep my landline, as I have elderly relatives who remember my home phone (it hasn't changed in years) but can't always recall my cell number.  I also like to be able to limit what types of calls come to my cell.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 81

I just hope you are still not renting your old phone. If you are, cancel the rental. The phone company cannot be bothered to pick it up. It’s worthless to them. There maybe value as an antique.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 81

Don't get rid of your landline number but port it over to Google voice, since likely, most of us have internet. With Google voice, your landline number becomes a VOIP number. You'll first have to port it to a mobile number, since Google voice only accepts mobile numbers for porting, since Google voice does not support 911 location. Currently Google voice is free for unlimited US calls.  It also provides a spam filter, caller ID, text messaging and call blocking. With an Obihai 200 device, $40 on Amazon, your wired phone can be used as your Google voice phone. So now we use the Google voice phone for long calls, and Tmobile cellphone, $10 refresh per year for legacy pay as you go plan, or $3/month for current pay as you go plan, for short away from home calls. As long as you have internet, Google voice can travel with you. Just take your phone and Obihai200 where ever you go and have internet.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors