Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Getting rid of landline phone

Message 41 of 80

It's nice to read reply to articles. My comment is if seniors are like me who have a medic alert system beware of what some people say. I would like to get rid of this company. But for a free system a land line is required.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 80

There's more to this subject than cost.  I live in a townhouse with a basement, 3 floors in all.  With a landline, I can have extension phones on each floor at the ready for incoming or outgoing calls.  I would need to remember to carry my cell phone, which normally is in my handbag, all over the house with me, which makes it likely that it would not be where I needed it at least some of the time.  Fortunately, I can spend a small amount for ease and convenience.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 80
Well, if you keep landlines just remember to keep some physical corded extensions on each floor or whatever part of the apartment or house. Took me a couple of times during the last 16 hours to recall cordless phones don't work without power. Followed by which laptop am I going to use, or battery charger to recharge my cell phone, if I don't regain power within the next 16 hours. Best I can get out of my present iphone on full charge is 3 days , you get a might clammy when your looking at 60% at 9 am and still on call. Followed by a couple choice expressions as I tried to remember where the 12V fans and my extra car battery was just in case I needed to keep the house heated by woodstove alone. And having a cellphone sound like my house phone might be easier to hear but, I think I'm going for the British ringtone on my cell, vs. old fashioned Maine ringer. For the hearing impaired if you wear hearing aids then most Samsung and Apple for a couple of brands do have hearing aid happiness, if you require texting there is an actual app for that for speech into text. Like an old fangled teletype reader. Sorry, I retired a while back and know that's not the right name for it. Try a google search, for "cell phone app voice to text for hearing impaired" there are maybe 10 excellent iphone and several other smartphone app's for Voice to ASL (American Sign Language) or ASR. And a dragon app/program for smartphones. There also is now a specific phone for hearing impaired, I think it's deaftel, but, don't know how the heck I even remember that. Haven't seen a disabilities issue out of MA in awhile.. I have power, apologies for errors typing by candlelight earlier, I think I'll get some more firewood. And vote tomorrow for gosh sakes, I know I don't need to worry about chads, just whether my #2 pencil works power or not.
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 80

I don't like change either.  I still have a dial phone.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 80
I kinda wish we had been allowed by the phone exchange up here to keep our old 3 crank phones but wasn't in the cards.
We were only allowed the oak boxes with dry cell batteries. Nope not in the early 1900's more like 1972, and went straight from cra
nk to touch tone no dial phones up here.

Frozen
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 80
Please post some pictures of those old phones, I'd love to see them!

Sincerely,
Peter
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 80

I have to keep my land line because I don't have a cell phone.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 80
No phones were allowed to be kept only the battery boxes those are somewhere in the garage. About the only oddball phones that I think I still have are 3-4 line Bakelite vintage 1930-ish Western Electric from my days spent working for the original telco.

The telco in town realized that their equipment (always think of Lily Tomlinson when I say that line) was fetching $500 in antique telco sales.
Their original in house switchboard (really in the house of switchboard operator and owner of telco) was found and sold for scrap 3 years back.

People didn't know it spent the last several years under leaking pipes and all the relays were encrusted.
Frozen
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 80

I do freelance writing from my home online. I have NO need of a cell phone since I'm rarely out on the road. Even before I retired, I traveled 21 miles each way to my job for 15 years and didn't need a cell phone. 

I am just a little fed up with being told what I must and must not have, do, say or need. I didn't need Cable TV or the obscene monthly Cable bill. But, oh no. Some toady hot for profit decides Cable TV is a must have. Down came the antenna and up went the cost of watching TV. Which, by the way, I rarely do...writers sit at computer nearly 8 hours a day. 

Then, I pay the Cable TV bill and what do I get? Junk TV programs with more commercials than programming. This is what I pay for? And, I wouldn't mind the commercials so much but the programs are straight out of DogPatch USA. I have no identification with Alaskan Wilderness Residents, Duck Dynasty, Honey Boo Boo, Dance Moms and that screaming Mimi Abby Lee, the Jersey Shore get rich quick kids or the Moonshiners. This is what I pay for? 

Try to watch a movie and what do you get? 15 commercials and one half hour of a movie so badly cut to ribbons, it makes no sense. 

Now, land lines have gotten in some Twerpie Generation Twit's craw? And just how much will this added cost burden end up being every month? 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 80

We have to keep the outrageous charge for AT&T because my husband has a machine that checks his defibrilator implant regularly. If I could get the cell phone to do that I would but at this point I'm stuck with it. I live in FL.

Kudos
Views