Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Getting rid of landline phone

Message 21 of 80
Warning I used to work for The Phone Company but, now live in a town that up until around the mid 60's still had hand cranks vs dial phones.

I use both landline and cell phones at least one is still From TPC. My reasoning when the power fails and towers fail, hardware keeps on going. Yes, cell phone towers have been encased 3 or 4 times in last several, oddly enough the only times I've lost power has been for 12 hours I seem to be on the power distribution for a international satellite station.

Cell phones are my backup for landlines or travel connection as my phone is an iPhone, it's a nationwide plan for bloke my home phone where everything is a toll of at least 8 cents per minute.

My fax is sitting atop a pair of speakers and I haven't used since 2008, if you still need a fax vs an all on one scanner to email attachment in this day and age something is wrong. The other use for hardwire would be DSL for Internet, I priced cable and Internet and phone in my rural community and discover no way Jose 200 for TWC vs 60 for dish and 40 for telco and DSL, even with the funky cellphones text and data that's only another 50 .

So yeah, I'm keeping both for now just makes more sense at this point
Frozen
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 80
WHAT IS A OOMA INTERNET PHONE AND WHERE DO IT FIND IT?
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 80

I wouldn't do so because if an emergency should come about, the police may have a hard time finding your location if you're using a cell phone vs a landline phone.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 80

@denises2616 wrote:

I wouldn't do so because if an emergency should come about, the police may have a hard time finding your location if you're using a cell phone vs a landline phone.

911 location detection works just fine with cell phones.

~~~
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 80

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 80

When I registered for OOMA Internet phone, I registered my home address for 911 purposes. I guess it will work! Haven't made any 911 calls, though.

It's interesting hearing from people in this thread who don't want to lose the landline:

- they live in rural areas with bad mobile coverage

- they live in areas with frequent power outages in general (which takes down cell towers, Internet routers)

- they just don't want to change; maybe the older retirees, or late adopters of technology

These are real communications issues. The phone companies, however, want nothing more than to get rid of twisted-pair copper wire analong landline phone. It's costly for them to maintain dual infrasturcture.

Sincerely,
Peter
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 80

Go to OOMA.COM

You have to buy the hardware, you need home Internet, and there is some installation required, pretty simple depending on your home and what you want. Read their FAQ. For me, it paid for itself in about 6 months, it's $1 per day gravy in savings ever since, and it's been a few years.

@ALEXSAARP wrote:
WHAT IS A OOMA INTERNET PHONE AND WHERE DO IT FIND IT?

Sincerely,
Peter
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 80
Actually most cellphones especially if smartphones are GPS enabled and can have their signal traced to within 10 feet of physical location.handy for when you've misplaced it or yourself.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 80
Back in the days that I needed an alarm system relatively remote location with an actual police department, our system did have cell phone backup in the system for times when the power or landlines were down.

Great idea when you live in a state that has utility poles vs underground utilities and an ice storm or blizzard puts you in the dark for awhile.

Frozen
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 80

entex ias and they havn't required house numbers on residences in forever and so haning a land line doesn't help a whole lot in these older neighborhoods with no numbers. 

Kathleen
Kudos
Views