Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Super Contributor

Getting rid of landline phone

A couple of years ago, I got rid of my classic $35 a month landline service, and went with OOMA internet phone for $4 per month. It has been quite reliable and good quality, not as reliable as landline, but I'd say 98%. No outages, but a few drop-outs.

Having said that, it does not support fax machines and alarm systems which rely on landlines. But, who faxes anymore, and any recent alarm systems rely on wired or Wifi internet anymore.

Yes, I kind of know that landline is better in a disaster like a hurricane, blah-blah-blah, but paying $370 extra a year wasn't worth it.

I still use my old handsets and "ole-fashun" answering machine, and still have my 22 year old phone number. Operationally, nothing has changed... on the surface.

If I travel, I turn off my answering machine, and voicemails go to OOMA, then I get an alert on my smartphone, I can listen to them on my Android. Also, I could theoretically move anywhere in the world and keep my Houston TX USA phone number. I would just take the OOMA box, connect it to internet, from a hotel, apartment, vacation rental house, and plug my "ole-fashun" phone into it. Bingo, dial-tone.

I do feel better having a home phone, and my old familiar phone number at that. I didn't just want to cut the cord by going to pure mobile phones. It's a nice feeling to have a "home" number.

Sincerely,
Peter
Periodic Contributor

I keep a land line mostly because I do not want junk calls on my cell phone bothering me. I only give my cell number to those I trust and whom I want calling me. Everybody else who asks (mostly vendors) get my "home phone".

I did convert from copper to an Internet based protocol because that costs less than $10 a month. I do though need to ditch the fax number which costs as much as the home phone number does
Periodic Contributor

My landline is fine since I am older. I don't have to worry about where my phone is or I forgot to charge it or I forgot to put it in this purse. It seems to me a cell phone requires lots of responsibility and some people are just not responsible enough to have a cell phone and they are the ones who need to keep their landlines. What about those who forgot to pay their bill or the ones who loose their phones often? Don't forget the ones who change their numbers often and you can't get in touch with them anyway. Of course, I am a landline owner and I don't own a cell phone.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We have residences in two states and split our time between. A cell phone has been a savings for us and fortunately we have a carrier that works great in both(Florida and NC). Our children have been later at giving up landlines than us but one is required to keep one for work purposes. We gave up landlines three years ago and have not been sorry. Of course the expense will eventually transfer to internet and wifi which we live on for 95% of our information and a lot of communications.
Contributor

When Sandy hit, we were without power for 11 days. Although my copper wire phone was on the ground, we had telephone service. The cell phone service at home is very poor because it's a hilly area. We're now changing the tv and computer to FIOS, but keeping the copper wire telephone.

My daughter has 2 elementary school children. She got rid of a landline phone.  She lives in a rural area that has good cell serviceThe older child had to take a class about being home alone. She had to be home alone for 15 minutes.  However, she had no phone in the house because there is no landline. She was scared to be without a phone.

Contributor

We have to keep the outrageous charge for AT&T because my husband has a machine that checks his defibrilator implant regularly. If I could get the cell phone to do that I would but at this point I'm stuck with it. I live in FL.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

No I would not get rid of my landline. Our cell srvice here at home is not that great indoors. And yes during the famous October snow storm here in Pa. and hurricane Sandy our external power was out (fortunately we have a whole house generator), our internet was out and cell towers were down for a full 8 days both times but the landline worked. It may cost a lot of money for an occasional disaster but for me at 75 years better safe than sorry.

Contributor

Spoiler
As a person with hearing disabilities, I cannot hear my cell phone when it rings in my apartment and I refuse to walk around with it clistered to my body 24/7. I, too, will keep my landline.
Regular Contributor

I've often been asked whether or not I should keep a land line phone.  I respond absolutely yes.  Why?  I don't use a cell phone because I have no need for it.  I don't talk or text all day long like so many who have forgotten how to communicate via talking and writing legibly and correctly.  That said, yes cell phones are beneficial in some emergencies like needing a tow for you car, etc.  But, here in the western states when traveling in the remote areas or mountainous areas most cell phones don't work.  We have a pay by the minute cell phone where we only buy minutes to use it.  We use it very rarely.  Land line phones do offer fax capability, which I still use as some banks and businesses do require material to be faxed to them on occasions.  And, they are more reliable.  Often when the power crashes or the cell towers are too far away or transmissions are blocked due to mountains, etc.  land lines work.  I will stay with them as long as they exist.  But, I am sure that the powers that be that want only profit over reliability, will eventually drop them leaving a lot of us without phone service.  Advancement through technology is not always good.

I will have a home phone forever for one very important reason:  a cellphone does not provide an exact location for you.  I worked emergency services communications for over 30 years, and the level of ability to locate a caller on a cellphone is sketchy.  Depending on the age/sophistication of your phone, your provider, and system used (triangulation off towers, etc.) you can get close, but not exact.  So if you have had a stroke and manage to dial 911 but cannot speak, response to you will be much slower if you're calling on a cell phone because the medics will literally have to look for you, going house to house or apartment to apartment.  With a landline (or VOIP, I don't know about Ooma), your address is displayed and help can get to you.  If you're hiding in a closet because there's a burglar in your home and you're afraid to speak, or if you're involved in a domestic violence situation and can dial 911 and leave the line open, police/fire/medics can find you.  On a cell phone, the might get a 100 yard radius where you're located - see how many apartments fall into that category in a large, multi-storey apartment complex.  Even if you only keep the most basic home phone service, that's enough to potentially save your life.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Cell phone WiFi calling elminates the issue that concerns you.

~~~
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
0 Kudos

If your phone has that capability, yes.  Mine does not.     And I never have to worry about charging my home phone and having it die on me before help gets here. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We have had cell phones for 31 years now - got our first giant "car phone" when our 31 year old was born... and we have never looked back.

HOWEVER - we retain our current Comcast Triple Play landline - because Comcast literally throws it in for free... or just about... For us to have them remove it - effectively also removes the major deduction we have always received all these years - for Triple Play (landline/internet/cable) -

So why bother?   Plus - the peace of mind it provides us with our comprehensive home security system and automatic hookup to police and fire department - as well as to 911 operators - is so comforting and has paid off many times - over the past 30+years....

Yes - we have looked into changing the way our security system works with the landline - but again - all options were unwieldy, inconvenient - required quite a bit of rewiring - as well a significant initial cost outlay - which we simply could not justify!   

With so many other ways to save far larger dollars - this is small potatoes indeed.  

Trusted Contributor

I also have the Comcast triple play so I keep my landline.  Cell phone service is spotty where I live and I depend on the landline for clarity of conversation.  Too many times I have answered a call on my cell phone only to have the conversation fade in and out.  I have had a smart phone for years but I still am not married to it.  In fact, when I have my family over at meals, we have a basket to put the cell pnones in for they are not allowed at the table. Kind of bugs the grandkids, biut I hate to have people playing with their cell phones during a conversation.  There should be a list of rules reguarding when a cell phone is off limits.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

And For those with spotty cell phone reception still in this day and age, have you thought of just turning on your WiFi booster for cellphone.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-use-a-wireless-router-as-a-cellphone-signal-booster

Works on all smart phones just go to “settings or setup” on your phone and flip it on, iOS use settings, Androids use setup. No apps to download.

Had to turn mine on a couple years back when cell tower in the area went out due to high winds, during blizzard.

Two weeks on-call with

no cell tower, flipped switch and back.

Only requirement access password to WiFi router, works on dsl, etc.

Hope that helps y’all.No need for kids to drive into cell coverage area, just use it.

Even works at my place on lake, zillion miles from cell towers, neighbor with hughes satellite gave me his password for router.

And I no longer had to stand upon one leg facing NH to make phone calls.

Also tons cheaper than using other boosters.

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/blog/cell-phone-wifi-signal-booster/

If you still have issues depending upon phone, perhaps it’s time to try howardforums for how to make your cell work with extenders, boosters, etc.

You can google howardforums, haven’t logged in for awhile there, they’re on my Tapalink app.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

My wi-fi is tirned on - on phone, internet, and my car.  I live in a valley between 2 mountains.  anyone that lives in my town has to have Verizon for it is the only one that works for carriers.  And for that reason I still keep my landline for clarity of calls. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I hear you live in Western Maine up by Sunday River surrounded by mountains.

Half an hour away from 5 bars in next town, they have the funky plastic cell tree and repeaters.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We got rid of our landline about 8+ years now I think since Magic jack came out.So, that was about $35/mo savings.

Magic jack cost us $20/YEAR.

We also got rid of our cable and purchased roku to get streamlined movies. One time charge of $85 I think for the equipment, so that was another $45/mo savings.

We now only subscribe for internet service which is about $49/month.

Since we did these changes, we never looked back and are enjoying the savings.....

Oh and we don't subscribe to any alarm monitoring given the false alarms that was costing us fines. We still get home insurance discount as our home is locally alarmed. So, that was another $50/mo savings.

We are only 59 yrs old but looking forward to being 60 when more discounts kick in as we become SENIOR CITIZENS, and financially independent.

Regular Social Butterfly

@mrivera04 wrote:

We have had cell phones for 31 years now - got our first giant "car phone" when our 31 year old was born... and we have never looked back.

HOWEVER - we retain our current Comcast Triple Play landline - because Comcast literally throws it in for free... or just about... For us to have them remove it - effectively also removes the major deduction we have always received all these years - for Triple Play (landline/internet/cable) -

So why bother?   Plus - the peace of mind it provides us with our comprehensive home security system and automatic hookup to police and fire department - as well as to 911 operators - is so comforting and has paid off many times - over the past 30+years....

Yes - we have looked into changing the way our security system works with the landline - but again - all options were unwieldy, inconvenient - required quite a bit of rewiring - as well a significant initial cost outlay - which we simply could not justify!   

With so many other ways to save far larger dollars - this is small potatoes indeed.  

I'd give anything for a solution that would allow me to ditch Comcast.

~~~

I switched over to Vonage ($19), well over a decade ago, whitch works identically to my old Verison line (but now I have unlimited Long Dist); but what makes ALL the CABLE PROVIDER salesmen crazy, is I also switched over to ROKU. I have 25 totally FREE channels, (Hulu can be free, but I chose to pay less than $10 a month for Hulu Plus), and we just started Netflix, which is $19 per month for Redbox/BlockBuster-level movies, PLUS just made for NETFLIX shows 24/7 (on demand). So my Laptop is not tied up by Internet streaming, in goes directly through my OLD non-smart TV. I don't have problems with buffering, and use the minimum Internet with a $49 per month fee. [call me a happy Granny!] 

So if you're paying more than ($19 + $49 + $19 + $10) = $100 for your phone [including LD], & TV [including basically unlimited MOVIES & TV series] .... you're paying WAY too much!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@da7289 wrote:

So if you're paying more than ($19 + $49 + $19 + $10) = $100 for your phone [including LD], & TV [including basically unlimited MOVIES & TV series] .... you're paying WAY too much!

Yup... over here we have Netflix, free over-air HD TV signals with antenna in attic, Ooma Internet phone, Internet-only service. $88 a month for all of it. You can't build wealth when you have a car payment, and if you have a car payment and you're paying for cable, you're really sunk.

Sincerely,
Peter
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I too was reluctant to give up a landline but like you giving all that money to ATT or SWBell was a real drag.  My two 30 year old kids had been using cell phones only for a long time so I tried it 6 years ago and have not had any single regret.  Plus it has been great having a phone within arms reach anywhere I am.

Kathleen
Periodic Contributor

I agree with you, ! rather have a cell phone because it is very convient,and very secured to have.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Technically, you still have a landline since your Internet connection is physical wiring.  Getting rid of landline means relying solely on cell phone.

I usually differentiate the two landlines as "traditional" vs' "Internet."  Traditional is not as reliable as you might think.  Here in New Jersey, Verizon is no longer maintaining the "local loop" (the wires to my home).  When customers report problems, they recommend cell service (from Verizon, of course).

Personally, I'd be just as happy with cell phone service except that there is metal-jacketed insulation underneath the siding on my house.  Cell service indoors is terrible.

~~~
Periodic Contributor

I need to get rid of my landline and rely solely on text. I live in a mobile home and the reception is terrible. I am on my daughters plan cellular wise. I need to become independent as it seems i am needing to be degraded to the grandchildren about mom paying for my service which is a third of $50 a month. I offered to pay. They make good money. I am a disabled widow. Anyhow, i appreciate all my daughter has done but need to b independent as not to foster any bad feeling with the family. Will not always have the ability to call emt’s if i need them because of lousy signal. Cant afford verizon. Have to go with a cheapo company.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rg14198798 

If you have smartphone and WiFi, you can increase range of cell phone into house and maybe 20-30 feet outside (depending) by using that cell phone and router.

Any telco or cell provider should be capable of telling you how to do it.

Won't really work with dial internet using modem.

Check out howardforums.com for extending your cell phone reach even if you live in mobile homes, you should be able to search there, using your cell phone make and model to get suggestions.

Yep, been there on coverage, second cell signal hit my horsehair plaster walls went to 1-bar. Now, I use WiFi and $10 WiFi extender from Walmart.

second option might be magnetic antenna mount like used on cars. Instead of attaching to car, attach to roof of trailer and entire metal roof becomes a planar roof, worked on camp on lake. Where previously I had to climb a tree to get cell signal😇.

Really check out Howardforums.com for suggestions.

If your kids or others are military active/retired/late they can get you better discounted plans like ATT, Verizon, etc with 10-20% off on real plans.

Froze

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I can undertandthe spotty reception on the cell phone, for many a times I'm outside in the freezing cold trying to use my cell phone.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@gd2988 wrote:

Technically, you still have a landline since your Internet connection is physical wiring.  Getting rid of landline means relying solely on cell phone.

I usually differentiate the two landlines as "traditional" vs' "Internet."  Traditional is not as reliable as you might think.  Here in New Jersey, Verizon is no longer maintaining the "local loop" (the wires to my home).  When customers report problems, they recommend cell service (from Verizon, of course).

Personally, I'd be just as happy with cell phone service except that there is metal-jacketed insulation underneath the siding on my house.  Cell service indoors is terrible.

Yup, you're right, I was being imprecise. Smiley Happy  I should have said "I got rid of the ANALOG COPPER TWISTED PAIR LANDPHONE PHONE in exchange for the DIGITAL VOICE-OVER-IP FIBER-BASED LANDLINE PHONE"

Sincerely,
Peter
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP