From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Getting rid of landline phone

Message 1 of 81

A couple of years ago, I got rid of my classic $35 a month landline service, and went with OOMA internet phone for $4 per month. It has been quite reliable and good quality, not as reliable as landline, but I'd say 98%. No outages, but a few drop-outs.

Having said that, it does not support fax machines and alarm systems which rely on landlines. But, who faxes anymore, and any recent alarm systems rely on wired or Wifi internet anymore.

Yes, I kind of know that landline is better in a disaster like a hurricane, blah-blah-blah, but paying $370 extra a year wasn't worth it.

I still use my old handsets and "ole-fashun" answering machine, and still have my 22 year old phone number. Operationally, nothing has changed... on the surface.

If I travel, I turn off my answering machine, and voicemails go to OOMA, then I get an alert on my smartphone, I can listen to them on my Android. Also, I could theoretically move anywhere in the world and keep my Houston TX USA phone number. I would just take the OOMA box, connect it to internet, from a hotel, apartment, vacation rental house, and plug my "ole-fashun" phone into it. Bingo, dial-tone.

I do feel better having a home phone, and my old familiar phone number at that. I didn't just want to cut the cord by going to pure mobile phones. It's a nice feeling to have a "home" number.

Sincerely,
Peter
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Getting rid of landline phone

Message 2 of 81

Technically, you still have a landline since your Internet connection is physical wiring.  Getting rid of landline means relying solely on cell phone.

I usually differentiate the two landlines as "traditional" vs' "Internet."  Traditional is not as reliable as you might think.  Here in New Jersey, Verizon is no longer maintaining the "local loop" (the wires to my home).  When customers report problems, they recommend cell service (from Verizon, of course).

Personally, I'd be just as happy with cell phone service except that there is metal-jacketed insulation underneath the siding on my house.  Cell service indoors is terrible.

~~~
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 81

I too was reluctant to give up a landline but like you giving all that money to ATT or SWBell was a real drag.  My two 30 year old kids had been using cell phones only for a long time so I tried it 6 years ago and have not had any single regret.  Plus it has been great having a phone within arms reach anywhere I am.

Kathleen
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 81

@gd2988 wrote:

Technically, you still have a landline since your Internet connection is physical wiring.  Getting rid of landline means relying solely on cell phone.

I usually differentiate the two landlines as "traditional" vs' "Internet."  Traditional is not as reliable as you might think.  Here in New Jersey, Verizon is no longer maintaining the "local loop" (the wires to my home).  When customers report problems, they recommend cell service (from Verizon, of course).

Personally, I'd be just as happy with cell phone service except that there is metal-jacketed insulation underneath the siding on my house.  Cell service indoors is terrible.

Yup, you're right, I was being imprecise. Smiley Happy  I should have said "I got rid of the ANALOG COPPER TWISTED PAIR LANDPHONE PHONE in exchange for the DIGITAL VOICE-OVER-IP FIBER-BASED LANDLINE PHONE"

Sincerely,
Peter
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 81

We have had cell phones for 31 years now - got our first giant "car phone" when our 31 year old was born... and we have never looked back.

HOWEVER - we retain our current Comcast Triple Play landline - because Comcast literally throws it in for free... or just about... For us to have them remove it - effectively also removes the major deduction we have always received all these years - for Triple Play (landline/internet/cable) -

So why bother?   Plus - the peace of mind it provides us with our comprehensive home security system and automatic hookup to police and fire department - as well as to 911 operators - is so comforting and has paid off many times - over the past 30+years....

Yes - we have looked into changing the way our security system works with the landline - but again - all options were unwieldy, inconvenient - required quite a bit of rewiring - as well a significant initial cost outlay - which we simply could not justify!   

With so many other ways to save far larger dollars - this is small potatoes indeed.  

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 81

I've often been asked whether or not I should keep a land line phone.  I respond absolutely yes.  Why?  I don't use a cell phone because I have no need for it.  I don't talk or text all day long like so many who have forgotten how to communicate via talking and writing legibly and correctly.  That said, yes cell phones are beneficial in some emergencies like needing a tow for you car, etc.  But, here in the western states when traveling in the remote areas or mountainous areas most cell phones don't work.  We have a pay by the minute cell phone where we only buy minutes to use it.  We use it very rarely.  Land line phones do offer fax capability, which I still use as some banks and businesses do require material to be faxed to them on occasions.  And, they are more reliable.  Often when the power crashes or the cell towers are too far away or transmissions are blocked due to mountains, etc.  land lines work.  I will stay with them as long as they exist.  But, I am sure that the powers that be that want only profit over reliability, will eventually drop them leaving a lot of us without phone service.  Advancement through technology is not always good.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 81

@mrivera04 wrote:

We have had cell phones for 31 years now - got our first giant "car phone" when our 31 year old was born... and we have never looked back.

HOWEVER - we retain our current Comcast Triple Play landline - because Comcast literally throws it in for free... or just about... For us to have them remove it - effectively also removes the major deduction we have always received all these years - for Triple Play (landline/internet/cable) -

So why bother?   Plus - the peace of mind it provides us with our comprehensive home security system and automatic hookup to police and fire department - as well as to 911 operators - is so comforting and has paid off many times - over the past 30+years....

Yes - we have looked into changing the way our security system works with the landline - but again - all options were unwieldy, inconvenient - required quite a bit of rewiring - as well a significant initial cost outlay - which we simply could not justify!   

With so many other ways to save far larger dollars - this is small potatoes indeed.  

I'd give anything for a solution that would allow me to ditch Comcast.

~~~
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 81

No I would not get rid of my landline. Our cell srvice here at home is not that great indoors. And yes during the famous October snow storm here in Pa. and hurricane Sandy our external power was out (fortunately we have a whole house generator), our internet was out and cell towers were down for a full 8 days both times but the landline worked. It may cost a lot of money for an occasional disaster but for me at 75 years better safe than sorry.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 81
We have residences in two states and split our time between. A cell phone has been a savings for us and fortunately we have a carrier that works great in both(Florida and NC). Our children have been later at giving up landlines than us but one is required to keep one for work purposes. We gave up landlines three years ago and have not been sorry. Of course the expense will eventually transfer to internet and wifi which we live on for 95% of our information and a lot of communications.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 81

When Sandy hit, we were without power for 11 days. Although my copper wire phone was on the ground, we had telephone service. The cell phone service at home is very poor because it's a hilly area. We're now changing the tv and computer to FIOS, but keeping the copper wire telephone.

My daughter has 2 elementary school children. She got rid of a landline phone.  She lives in a rural area that has good cell serviceThe older child had to take a class about being home alone. She had to be home alone for 15 minutes.  However, she had no phone in the house because there is no landline. She was scared to be without a phone.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors