Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Getting rid of landline phone

Message 71 of 81

I live in a household with 4 other people (daughter, son-in-law and 2 granddaughters) and we ALL have our own cell phones. They are all iphone folks. I have an Android smartphone. We all love them. 24/7 accessibility isn't such a good idea if you have a boss who thinks you're on call all the time, but if you need to make sure your grandchildren are fine, it's great! I'll take the possible downside.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 81

I am beginning to think that many of you misunderstood my comment to mean that I am against cell phones.  I am not.  In fact, I keep a backup in case I lose mine.   However, after working for a wireless company for a short time and getting some pretty irate calls when a customer lost and or had a device that was stolen or malfunctioning, I was merely sharing some of what I thought were downfalls.  From some of my responses, I created a small uproar. So sorry!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 81

I have been an expert on economy telephone service for years.

I recommend the OBi202 telephone adapter for VOIP landline service. It supports Google Voice with two phone lines -- one line can be used for fax. You can buy an OBi202 at Amazon, Walmart, Newegg, and other places.

The OBi202 with Google Voice provides unlimited FREE calling with caller ID, voicemail, and texting throughout the United States and Canada. The voice quality is usually as good or better than a traditional landline.

You can add 911 service to the OBi for a small fee. International calls are usually only two cents per minute. You can take the OBi with you anywhere you travel and you can also make FREE calls between two OBis over the Internet anywhere in the world.

Internet service is all I pay for. I get the new customer special every time I renew my service because I call my cable company and tell them I cannot afford to pay the full price with my limited retirement income. The cable company representative then forwards me to the retention department and eventually I am offered a new customer Internet-only service contract at a greatly reduced rate.

Many seniors can qualify for a FREE smartphone at qlinkwireless(com). Then you will have 1,000 minutes of talk time, unlimited texting, and 1Gb of data per month. International texting and 911 service are included. All for FREE.

Q Link Wireless also offers a bring-your-own-phone option. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 smartphone which has a removable battery and a 64GB microSD card. This is a quality phone with a good camera. I bought it used on eBay for about $40.

I use the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K for television programming. The Firestick can stream many good movies and TV shows for FREE. I also share a subscription to Netflix, Curiosity Stream, and Amazon Prime Video. Many other FREE or low-cost streaming video services are available.  

I never pay for cable TV or pay-per-view television. I use an off-air antenna for FREE local HD television reception.

The OBi and the Firestick require a bit of programming. Go to obitalk(com) to learn how to program the OBi. Go to troypoint(com) to learn how to program the Firestick. If you don't want to do the programming yourself, find a teenager who loves computers and the Internet. She or he will do this for a peanut butter sandwich, a glass of milk, and the learning experience.

I have a Chromebook, too!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 81

I have a smartphone, but I keep my landline for where I live the cell reception is spotty so I depend on the landline for clarity of conversations.  My son visits from TX and he has AT&T for a carrier and in order to use his phone he has to drive in his car for a mile and a half to get a few bars.  He, too, depends on my landline when he visits to make calls to his job.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 81

Thanks for all the valuable info you supplied.  

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 81

I can undertandthe spotty reception on the cell phone, for many a times I'm outside in the freezing cold trying to use my cell phone.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 81

I also have the Comcast triple play so I keep my landline.  Cell phone service is spotty where I live and I depend on the landline for clarity of conversation.  Too many times I have answered a call on my cell phone only to have the conversation fade in and out.  I have had a smart phone for years but I still am not married to it.  In fact, when I have my family over at meals, we have a basket to put the cell pnones in for they are not allowed at the table. Kind of bugs the grandkids, biut I hate to have people playing with their cell phones during a conversation.  There should be a list of rules reguarding when a cell phone is off limits.  

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 81

And For those with spotty cell phone reception still in this day and age, have you thought of just turning on your WiFi booster for cellphone.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-use-a-wireless-router-as-a-cellphone-signal-booster

Works on all smart phones just go to “settings or setup” on your phone and flip it on, iOS use settings, Androids use setup. No apps to download.

Had to turn mine on a couple years back when cell tower in the area went out due to high winds, during blizzard.

Two weeks on-call with

no cell tower, flipped switch and back.

Only requirement access password to WiFi router, works on dsl, etc.

Hope that helps y’all.No need for kids to drive into cell coverage area, just use it.

Even works at my place on lake, zillion miles from cell towers, neighbor with hughes satellite gave me his password for router.

And I no longer had to stand upon one leg facing NH to make phone calls.

Also tons cheaper than using other boosters.

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/blog/cell-phone-wifi-signal-booster/

If you still have issues depending upon phone, perhaps it’s time to try howardforums for how to make your cell work with extenders, boosters, etc.

You can google howardforums, haven’t logged in for awhile there, they’re on my Tapalink app.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 81

My wi-fi is tirned on - on phone, internet, and my car.  I live in a valley between 2 mountains.  anyone that lives in my town has to have Verizon for it is the only one that works for carriers.  And for that reason I still keep my landline for clarity of calls. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 81

I hear you live in Western Maine up by Sunday River surrounded by mountains.

Half an hour away from 5 bars in next town, they have the funky plastic cell tree and repeaters.

Froze

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors