Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Getting rid of landline phone

Message 31 of 80
If you're talking about physical street addresses even the very small communities are now getting house numbers.

After 20 years living in rural Maine and having my home identified By telephone pole #4s left road , or the 3rd house on right past the gazebo - even I have a E911 house number and only one Street name vs the ones used during the last 50 years.

Admit I'm having issues figuring out what you were saying in your post, land lines to 911 operators can be traced back to their physicians cal location courtesy of reverse directories. That's what police, fire, etc. use to get figure out who has that telephone number and what there name and address is including apartment number, suite, etc. is.

Frozen
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 80

@3278443860 wrote:

The phone companies, however, want nothing more than to get rid of twisted-pair copper wire analong landline phone. It's costly for them to maintain dual infrasturcture.

There have been allegations that they stopped maintaining them in New Jersey.

~~~
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 80
Can't speak for the rest of Telco land I retired and haven't read a communication news lately.
Most cities have switched to fiber heck, even my backwater has.

Frozen
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 80
I've been just relying on mobile internet devices for seven or eight years, but the IPVideo offers looked invitng so I invested in a six party line. Only problem is, you can't get the server unless you have an organization and I am just fond of the old home phone design, not social media ventures.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 80

I switched over to Vonage ($19), well over a decade ago, whitch works identically to my old Verison line (but now I have unlimited Long Dist); but what makes ALL the CABLE PROVIDER salesmen crazy, is I also switched over to ROKU. I have 25 totally FREE channels, (Hulu can be free, but I chose to pay less than $10 a month for Hulu Plus), and we just started Netflix, which is $19 per month for Redbox/BlockBuster-level movies, PLUS just made for NETFLIX shows 24/7 (on demand). So my Laptop is not tied up by Internet streaming, in goes directly through my OLD non-smart TV. I don't have problems with buffering, and use the minimum Internet with a $49 per month fee. [call me a happy Granny!] 

So if you're paying more than ($19 + $49 + $19 + $10) = $100 for your phone [including LD], & TV [including basically unlimited MOVIES & TV series] .... you're paying WAY too much!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 80

@da7289 wrote:

So if you're paying more than ($19 + $49 + $19 + $10) = $100 for your phone [including LD], & TV [including basically unlimited MOVIES & TV series] .... you're paying WAY too much!

Yup... over here we have Netflix, free over-air HD TV signals with antenna in attic, Ooma Internet phone, Internet-only service. $88 a month for all of it. You can't build wealth when you have a car payment, and if you have a car payment and you're paying for cable, you're really sunk.

Sincerely,
Peter
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 80

But, who faxes anymore,”

I do occasionally, when telephoning is useless and there is no email provided. These instances are usually important or even critical in case of medical providers. My last example is only 3 days old. I really needed to speak to my doctor, the phones were either busy or the receptionists hanged up on me repeatedly. After an hour of this abuse I wrote a firmly worded fax. Twenty minutes later the office manager called me back with profuse apologies.

Try that without a fax… The fax is a written document and it has clout. Phone calls can be dropped or disconnected, emails can be lost but a fax cannot be dismissed so easily. Even government officials respond to that, I know because I did it. I would feel crippled without it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 80
I like having my land line for added protection, cell phone can be unpredictable at times. I would be at lost if they take away the land line phones.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 80

I would love to get rid of my landline, but I can't. Cell phones and hearing impaired people do not get along too well. They are great for texting but I can't make calls. At the present time I have a phone that captions via voice recognition so I can talk on the phone. Cells do not have relay capabilities so if, say, my car broke down I could not call roadside assistance. Until wireless providers wake up and realize that not everyone can hear they are not getting my business.

Kris

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 80

I agree with you, ! rather have a cell phone because it is very convient,and very secured to have.

Kudos
Views