Protect your digital identity with AARP’s fraud resource center. Try it today!

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Getting rid of landline phone

Message 11 of 81

My landline is fine since I am older. I don't have to worry about where my phone is or I forgot to charge it or I forgot to put it in this purse. It seems to me a cell phone requires lots of responsibility and some people are just not responsible enough to have a cell phone and they are the ones who need to keep their landlines. What about those who forgot to pay their bill or the ones who loose their phones often? Don't forget the ones who change their numbers often and you can't get in touch with them anyway. Of course, I am a landline owner and I don't own a cell phone.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 81
I keep a land line mostly because I do not want junk calls on my cell phone bothering me. I only give my cell number to those I trust and whom I want calling me. Everybody else who asks (mostly vendors) get my "home phone".

I did convert from copper to an Internet based protocol because that costs less than $10 a month. I do though need to ditch the fax number which costs as much as the home phone number does
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 81

i have kept a landline and forever will keep a landline for the following reasons.

First, my cell phone works wonderfully everywhere....... in National Forests, in the Mountains, at the Beach, in the middle of Cities, everywhere.....except.......IN MY HOUSE!!!!!!!! It doesn't matter what kind of cell phone I have or who the provider is, there is 1 bar at best in my house. The providers I have had in the past can't figure it out. They say they have 5 towers within 3 miles of the house. They blame it on the trees surrounding my house, or they blame it on someone having a shortwave radio nearby, or they blame it on the topography but the end result is still 1 bar or 0 bars.

Second, I experienced the fury of hurricane Hugo in 1989. Power was out for weeks but one thing worked the whole time.....my landline.

At one point, my wife and I were going to drop the landline because we could have saved a bunch of money but due to the above reasons; we thought it best to keep it.

Kudos
Views
mvk
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 81

Reasons why we've chosen to keep a landline home phone:

1.  We don't want to be constantly, instantly "available".  If we're not home, people can leave a message..

2. If someone wants to contact us, they can find a phone number to do so... we're in the phonebook.  Until there is a (voluntary) cell phone directory available, we'll probably stay with a landline.  (You entrpreneurs out there, how about that for a project?)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 81

I have used the OOMA system for over 2 years and love it.  Have very reliable Internet provider and get internet access to all incoming and outgoing calls.  Even those that do not leave a message.  Can access voice mail from anywhere.  You can even listen to emails on the website.  I cancelled AT&T when by bill went over $40 per month.  It is a better phone system and cost less than $4 per month for taxes and gov't fees like 911.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 81

We got rid of our landline about 8+ years now I think since Magic jack came out.So, that was about $35/mo savings.

Magic jack cost us $20/YEAR.

We also got rid of our cable and purchased roku to get streamlined movies. One time charge of $85 I think for the equipment, so that was another $45/mo savings.

We now only subscribe for internet service which is about $49/month.

Since we did these changes, we never looked back and are enjoying the savings.....

Oh and we don't subscribe to any alarm monitoring given the false alarms that was costing us fines. We still get home insurance discount as our home is locally alarmed. So, that was another $50/mo savings.

We are only 59 yrs old but looking forward to being 60 when more discounts kick in as we become SENIOR CITIZENS, and financially independent.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 81
I have had a cell phone for many years. I just upgraded to an iPhone. What a waste of money! Give me a reliable land line where you can actually understand what the other party is saying. Cell phones have not improved enough for me to even consider dumping my land line. In fact, I would consider dumping my cell phone long before my land line. I only have with me when I leave the house "just in case" and an occassional text message to/from my adult kids. I was without a land line for three months during a move and was very happy when I got my land line in my new home.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 81
You're correct, not many people fax anymore. However, if you do have a need for fax, you can get any number of reliable efax services. You can then receive faxes from anyone ( to your personal assigned fax number) and send faxes to any fax machine. Good reliable services can be had for approximately $10.00/month.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 81
Spoiler
As a person with hearing disabilities, I cannot hear my cell phone when it rings in my apartment and I refuse to walk around with it clistered to my body 24/7. I, too, will keep my landline.
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 81

My opinion is no.

Kudos
Views