Listen to The Perfect Scam Podcast and Nominate It for a People’s Choice Podcast Award! Find Out More

Conversationalist

Re: Getting out of debt

Message 51 of 68
Thanks again. I'm sorry I ever broached an opinion. None of those negative possibilities have occurred in my life, but, of course, they could happen to me or to anyone else. I stand corrected. I will be very alert in future.
Yes, I do remember this movie. It was horrifying.
Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 52 of 68
Not at all, sir. It wasn't meant for or about you. I was getting a little tired of being hectored on a subject that had been thoroughly analyzed, already. My sincerest condolences on the loss of your wife. That is a tragedy that can only be assuaged by time. I lost an adult son a few years back--fell off a mountain while climbing in Arizona, and it has been such a struggle to remain on an even keel and enjoy the jokes as I know he would wish me to. I hope you have many friends and family members who offer their love and support.
Info Seeker

Message 53 of 68

When my 1st husband passed away, I hit the trifecta-his medicare supplemental had been cancelled-with his sudden and unexpected demise, I forgot to pay the bill, we had just gotten off the road (we drove truck together for over 30 years) and lost our company term life insurance and he had just started a part time job, so no benefits, and we started late in life with saving. I was only 57 and I had  found out that I would not be eligible for survivors Social Security until I was 60. The mortgage payment went up and I made $20 more than that. The final medical bills pretty much wiped out my 401K. I knew then that there was no way to go further with what I had. As much as it hurt, I filed a Chapter 7. I lost the house, the car, and pretty much all we had worked for. Did my credit rating take a hit? Of course it did. But when you are faced with the bare minimum to live on, and more bills that you can pay for, take advice from some of the other answers here. Cut up your credit card(s). Call all the people who you owe money to. I had what I called my honor debts-the funeral home and a few other bills-and I told them that because I was filing a chapter 7, technically, the debt would be erased. but I made a promise to pay each and everyone back. I did. Through hard work and being very cautious, I did it. I repaid over $12000. It took me 3 years, but I did do it. Good luck to you. Sometimes there are no easy answers.

Info Seeker

Message 54 of 68

Consumer Credit Counseling.  They work work with Credit companies to reduce interest. Sometimes 0%. Paid off over 40 Grand Credit cards

Info Seeker

Message 55 of 68
i have most of my credit card on auto payment and the rest I pay myself. We cancel cable TV but got clear tv pay one time fee for 3 antean it 74.00 and if you want movies go to the Library free there. cancel magzines newspaper and places you need a membership for it all had up. Also remember these doctors they are money hungry people i ever saw so me are really bad. you always can say NO! to them if they want you to have a cat scan MRI $$.
take other transportation than your car like a bus or train. Flying is outrage in prices.
mitzi Havlik
Info Seeker

Message 56 of 68
Preparer early or before retirement to get out of debt. Be creative and make something you could sell on line. Baby siting or tutoring children, (reading, math), Grocery shopping for the elderly, or the home bound. Drive a school bus or be a crossing guard. Tutoring a foreign language or teach how to play a musical instrument.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 57 of 68

honyb50 wrote:

>>> I had what I called my honor debts-the funeral home and a few other bills-and I told them that because I was filing a chapter 7, technically, the debt would be erased. but I made a promise to pay each and everyone back. I did. Through hard work and being very cautious, I did it. I repaid over $12000. It took me 3 years, but I did do it. Good luck to you. Sometimes there are no easy answers.

@honyb50  That is wonderful!   Great job in getting everything paid off.  I hope all is now well!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 58 of 68

It is, thanks for that. Gave up driving and went back to school. I am now a bookkeeper and miracle of miracles, I met a man who lost his wife the same time I lost my husband. We think that our first spouses picked us out and made us meet. That is another story. But we are married now and building the 2nd half of our lives together. 

Info Seeker

Message 59 of 68
i do that a lot the last 2 year now get rid of it the clutter . also clothes have 10 days worth of cloths and that it if you haven't have a yard sell or give to good will. Clutter no good.
If you haven't **bleep** that shirt of pants in a year get rid of it.
Mitzi havlik
Info Seeker

Message 60 of 68

I paid off over a thousand dollar credit card bill over ten years just by putting my nose to the grindstone and making about the minimum payment each month. It's not something I would recommend but it can be done. I'm living proof. Now I try to keep my credit card debt under 100 dollars total or very close to. I haven't run into problems since.