Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Fixed Income

Message 1 of 4

My fixed income is not enough, but I consider myself extremely fortunate.  I see so many middle aged and under educated people working at minimum wage jobs just to make ends meet.  Hopefully it is temporary or just a supplement.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: WEALTHY COMMUNITY

Message 2 of 4

@SIMPLEGAL wrote:

AARP recently ran a story about "America's Friendliest Hometown", The Villages, Florida.

I am a resident of this community and I want to tell readers that not ALL villagers are wealthy

golfers who play all day and do nothing else.  This is a misrepresentation of the majority

of us living here.  I worked 36 years and saved as much as possible.  It was impossible for me

to purchase real estate in California, so I went looking elsewhere.

I shop at Walmart and Dollar Tree and watch every dime I spend. 

My fixed income is not enough to be able to splurge on a regular basis, but I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to afford to live here.. 

Well, ya know, wealth is measured in various ways. Sounds to me like you have a wealth of smarts, finding a way to live in such a nice spot: good on you. Smiley Happy

DH has pulled down a handsome salary for years, but we shop staples at Walmart in no small part because a penny saved is a penny earned. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Reply:. WEALTHY COMMUNITY

Message 3 of 4

Thank you Epster.  

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Fixed Income

Message 4 of 4

@SIMPLEGAL wrote:

My fixed income is not enough, but I consider myself extremely fortunate.  I see so many middle aged and under educated people working at minimum wage jobs just to make ends meet.  Hopefully it is temporary or just a supplement.

Yes, the recession kicked our generation in the pants. Like you, I see evidence of a continuing financial struggle in the fact of so many older people working what we used to think of as high school or college jobs. (Double-edged sword, this: happy they can work, concerned the job will be automated in the near future: then what ... ugh)

For me the lingering effects of the recession situation is a call to action, and I keep writing my reps asking them not to make cuts to Medicare and SSI. We also use the Charity Miles app in order to 'earn' corporate donations for every mile we walk or pedal. We have designated Feeding America as the recipient of our earned donations. Feeding America isn't senior specific. That's okaaaaay, but if ever Charity Miles does support a senior specific food program, we will change our designation.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views