From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do You Know Any Good "LIFE HACKS" For Saving Money &/or Time???

Message 21 of 30

Many older americans have a tendency to continue using old lamps and other electronic items in the home. most of todays electronics are energy savers and can be quit the bill reducer. From kitchen appliances to tvs we have to educate our elders on saving electricity by using smarter electronic options in the home and that using extension cords are intended for temporary use not permanent. Please add to my post with any ideas or suggestions we can pass along.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 30

I have multiple rescue cats, including two that are deaf. I remember my mom always had mint growing freely in beds at our house. And we never had a problem with fleas. So this spring, I will be setting out several small tubs of potting soil filled with mint. It's a proven natural flea killer and it keeps rodents away as well. Cats aren't harmed by eating or rolling in it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 30

Hello You know those pant hangers from the stores well i take them home and cut the clips off them sand down the rough edges and wa la chip clips,bag clips.Saves a few pennies and work for years.               

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 30

I use my nutcracker all the time to open bottles and small jars. For larger jars, the pointy end of they bottle opener can pop the seal, making it really easy to open

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 30

According to a scientific study reported on NPR many years ago, 25% vinigar/water removes 90% of bad things from produce. Hence my practice is to wash all produce in that mix.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 30

I started saving the wax bags that cereal comes in.  I open them up and use them when I am flour or bread crumb coating food.  Also, I use them for laying out lasagna noodles to dry a bit before assembling my lasagna.  I found that it saves quite a bit of wax paper.  As an added bonus, I find the bags are sturdier than normal wax paper.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 30

Whenever I see the word "hack" it always conjures up a scene where I'm trying to separate two partially frozen pork chops with a meat cleaver. I just can't get used to the slang term; overused in current day; meaning to successfully carry out a task. I will be glad when this new "buzz word" becomes passe' and folks tire of it. 

My husband and I are comfortably retired because we paid off our house early and now have very minimal living expenses. The experts always advise "don't pay off your mortage," but I say this is bunk! Why give all that interest to the bank every year? Why not use the money for vacations or home improvements instead of your housing expense? We appreciate having an extra two grand plus, to spend monthly on what we choose. Having the peace of mind, that in case of a financial set back or illness, we don't stand the chance to lose our home. You can't put a price on that...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 30

Also, try plain baking soda in house on carpet and upholstery to kill fleas if they get in via the cats. This will dehydrate them and they die instantly. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 30

Never use vinegar to clean marble counter tops.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 30

I was using mail order prescriptions for my prescriptions which was a set fee for 90 day supply.  I found that many of my prescriptions were actually cheaper at the retail pharmacy.  Check retail before you use mail order.

Kudos
Views