Social Butterfly

Do You Have A Budget?

• This discussion was created on June 9, 2021.
  • If yes, we would luv to hear from you! Lol, maybe we can pick up some tips from you.
  • If no, ever thought of having one or did you have one in the past?
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ’ฅJune 9, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Lol, sometimes I do ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ I think I have finally overcome my massive addiction to Dollar Tree!!! Luv their everything is $1. Now I shop without one of their shopping baskets or carts. When my arms are full = time to head to the register ๐Ÿ‘Œ I pay my Studio Apartment rent early, on the day my Social Security arrives. No need to forget and have to pay their $35 late fee = my famous senior moments ๐Ÿ˜ฑ The rest goes for car insurance, electric followed by gas for car, food and of course Dollar Tree ๐Ÿ˜ Angela

Gold Conversationalist

@Bye 

I always want to pay my bills on time. In the olden days I wrote checks and mailed them. I thought I was smart because I'd hold the mail until closer to the due date and then post them. Except one time I forgot to mail a check to Visa. I was able to go to the grocery store business desk and pay without missing the due date. Phew! Never again. I already had direct deposit for my payroll (I was one of the last at my company to sign up for that), so then I signed up for everything that I could possibly pay "automatically"... utility bills, credit card bills, etc. This saved me the stress of having to remember to perform these tasks, and when.

Since that time, around 1990, I have never had a problem with such direct automatic payments. I know that many people worry over this sort of thing. But really I have never had a problem with it, and the relief from the worry of having to remember, and to sit down and write out payments, has meant a lot to me.

In the modern world where everything is done "on line" we can pay these bills "on line" very easily. But I still prefer the "automatic" bill payments because I don't want to think about these. With "bill pay" I would still have to remember to log into my bank and take action to make these payments. Not convenient for me.

I will comment that I keep a "checkbook register" in a computer spreadsheet and I actually plot out all "expected" transactions for the following 12 months (my system is pretty easy  and semiautomated for me to update). When a transaction changes from "expected" to "actual" I simply check it off my in spreadsheet. This is the method I use to keep track of those automatic payments, I review them and the actual bank draw very closely. I also seem to be one of the few people these days who (1) actually keeps a check register (mine is electronic) and (2) reconciles their checking account with the bank statement each month.

My financial planning/recording/reconciling system is as automated and idiot-proof as I can make it (I am the idiot in this equation). Especially as I start rolling into my twilight years where my mental faculties are "more frail" than they used to be. I can still apply the concentration to build my "systems" and then I just go along without stressing out and having to really give things much thought on the detailed level.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

How funny โ€” I normally don't shop Dollar Tree with a basket but today, I don't know why, I did. Ended up buying a few things that I really didn't need in addition to the toothpaste I went in for. I think the shop-until-arms-full approach is the smarter one!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Announcements

Try the new AARP Perks browser tool! Get timely reminders about AARP resources, discounts, and other member benefits as you browse online. Install AARP Perks now.

AARP Perks

Members Can Play More

Membership unlocks free online games and puzzles including classic Atari Games. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health