Attend AARP's Job Search in the Digital Age Online Workshop, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: Cell phones and Service Providers (carriers)

[ Edited ]
Message 11 of 19 (6,269 Views)

I drank the smart phone Koolaid early this year, and I enjoy it, but the battery life is so abysmally bad that I have retained my FLIP PHONE issued to me by my employer, and I won't "upgrade" that one to a smart phone. The battery on that puppy lasts for days. So I carry two phones!

If I'm off work, and traveling, I carry my personal smart phone, and a personal dumb phone with a WorldSIM global phone SIM card as my spare back-up. It's not cheap per minute, like 25 cents per min, but I can roam anywhere in the world with it. It's kinda cool. Oh, and with WorldSIM I have a British phone number and an American phone number; either one rings my phone. I feel like James Bond 007.

My WorldSIM minutes don't expire so long as I remember to make one call every 90 days at a minimum, so that would be I spend $1 a year to keep my pre-paid minutes alive. I can spend $1 a year. I just call my home phone as a test.

Sincerely,
Peter
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 19 (6,236 Views)
Near as I've found using several biggies and 2 regional carriers no one covers everywhere us and Canada, there will always be some dead zones.

But, by the same token if you read the manual for your phone or check out carrier options you can generally find someway amount the dead zones.
I've used cheap $3.00 magnetic based antennas, and even $6 glass mount car antennas to increase coverage in dead zones increasing signal strength.

The absolute best signal was a $100 electric signal booster from crane.
They make antennas for hams and shortwave enthusiasts, my reasoning for non-power alternatives are generally do to rural living and pleasure/camping.

Try a google of crane or cellphone shop.net?
For batteries, Chargers and ext.antennas.
Otherwise you just have to wait for more towers to reach you.
Frozen
Info Seeker

Message 13 of 19 (5,719 Views)
I have a good cell phone plan with metropcs 2 phones unlimited talk, text, data, pics,videos,camera front & back. $90 monthly.Need to keep expenses down need to add 2 phones! Can u explain consumer cellular
Info Seeker

Message 14 of 19 (4,684 Views)

Can anyone suiggest a very simple land line phone that is easy to use for an 80 year old, she is my Mother-In-Law and she needs desperate help.

Thank you to all

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 19 (4,680 Views)

sp35179863 wrote:

Can anyone suiggest a very simple land line phone that is easy to use for an 80 year old, she is my Mother-In-Law and she needs desperate help.

Thank you to all

Do you mean a physical phone rather than a service ? If so, you can purchase 'big button' phones from most stores that sell phones, including online.  If you 'google' "large button phone", you'll find all kinds of vendors.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 19 (4,661 Views)
SP,

Try anything by Northwest Bell - you can do it online you don't mention whether your in law is hearing impaired.

They list large keypad amplified handsets, as well. Once more suggest online or even a WalMart for selection.

In MIL also has difficulty hearing the phone you might like to check out call annunciators, instead of a one ringy- dingy, two ringy-dingy- They get a strobe flash on their table lamp or a box.

Part of being former Bell Lab is the desire to throw out Lily Tomlinson and Ms Geraldine ringy-dingy whenever possible. VTech also mallows rather good telephones.

Frozen
Info Seeker

Message 17 of 19 (4,443 Views)
Moto G is a very strong phone and that alone is probably why you have such great service where you are. I had a Samsung smartphone and I had US Cellular and I live in town and couldn't get service in my new house. I was very upset, it was a new phone. The company wanted to make me pay off the contract to exchange the phone, I don't think so. It is not my fault your service don't work a couple of blocks from your store. So they ended up exchanging the phone with the moto g and giving me a new contract. Which that kinda bored me but what can I do....
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 19 (4,418 Views)
Any new phone I get a check out before purchasing at Howardforum or howardforums.com. Actual users and engineers, who give fair warnings or blessings on all cells. They also have forum for what to do with your great cellphone if you are miles from a tower, surrounded by mountains or towers,etc and how to increase bar strength.

My camp in woods of Maine and their suggestions gave me 5 bars with iPhone where 1 had previously existed. Cost for signal improvement Velcro antenna on roof $10 bucks, by magnetic mount.

Luckily, Inow have 5 bars most everywhere.

Signal amplifiers, mobile antennae, all problems can be solved.

Frozen
Info Seeker

Message 19 of 19 (119 Views)

Went to ATT Wireless based on the AARP discount offer for members. And found the service to be horrible . Not happy that AARP is offering discount for this carrier. I thought they would  investigate the compnaines they offer as a member benefit .  Shame on you AARP as we  look for you to investigate the member benefit  offers