You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Cell Phome

Message 1 of 6
Twelve years, no landline, no problem. Move with the times!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Cell Phome

Message 2 of 6

64 years, no cellphone, no smartphone, have saved thousands by not paying for expensive phone and hook up charges to the internet.

Don't need to be constantly connected, can't stand people glued to their phones, and everyone who drives with a cell phone in their hand deserves the needle.

I was in IT for decades and was on call, 24 hours a day for periods of time. I dread the phone and will not walk around with a device that can ring me at any time --- been there, done that, done with it................

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@corigarrett wrote:
Twelve years, no landline, no problem. Move with the times!

No kidding! However, I am very nostalgic about my home 22 year old landline phone number, which is why I keep it alive with the Ooma internet phone service at home, which is now world-portable, I just need Internet, even hotel WiFi is fine. I suppose I could try to port that number to a mobile phone, but then it would not ring both my wife and I... it would be tied to one person's device, which would kill it as a "home" phone number.

My Dad refuses to carry a cell phone. Then he wrecked his car. He called my Step-mother, his current wife, from a gas station, but gave instructions which were inadequate to really pinpoint him. I was coming into his city from my city on a plane, so I was looking for him in a cab, because he was supposed to pick me up.

The next time he refuses to carry a cell phone and has an emergency incident, he may not be so lucky.

And it's not expensive to have a cell phone. If you're poor, you can get Obama Phone! And you're not a slave to a cell phone... it has a power switch! What sorcery is this?!?

http://www.obamaphone.com/

Sincerely,
Peter
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

@retiredtraveler wrote:

64 years, no cellphone, no smartphone, have saved thousands by not paying for expensive phone and hook up charges to the internet.

Don't need to be constantly connected, can't stand people glued to their phones, and everyone who drives with a cell phone in their hand deserves the needle.

I was in IT for decades and was on call, 24 hours a day for periods of time. I dread the phone and will not walk around with a device that can ring me at any time --- been there, done that, done with it................

Yes,  the part in red.  I do have a cell phone for emergencies and would not like to  drive without one.   And its not just the younger folks who are glued to their electronics.  I do a bit of  senior travel by bus with wifi and all the  (sort of) oldsters are playing with phones and tablets.  Some of them carry both!    

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Actually, we do have a cellphone, via Tracfone, just for travel. It's an old  Motorola 'dumb' phone. No voice mail, caller id, etc.  Yes, we got if for travel as we have driven across country pulling a popup camper and worry about getting stuck on the road.  DW handles it --- I never use it.   

I've gone to the U.K. for several years now, for a couple weeks at a time, and do so without a phone (or tablet, or any electronic device). I have relatives that can't understand how I get around on public transportation, walk miles a day, and any other activities without 'electronic help'. Apparently, there is something wrong with me because I use maps instead of GPS (don't have one of those either  --- manage to get around North America and Europe by reading a map or printing out something from Mapquest or Google beforehand).  It's incomprehensible to some of my nephews that I won't spend hundreds on a phone, then hundreds a year for connnectivity, and print out a map. How backwards I am!!!! (and I spend decades in IT).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 6
Unfortunately, I'm still on call at least for now.
My cell does allow forwarding to my home phone but, I don't always want to be found by those 3am I reeally need my data back calls.

I do have a totally free other number from Google that rings house and cell and is only for emergency use if I'm on retainer to accept those 3 am calls.

I only traded in my Samsung flip phone after texting got to be a pita, and per connector died making my backup batteries useless. Now, with my iPhone Waterproof to 10 feet oopsie in lake and driven over by 9k truck I think we may have a winner it still works.

Frozen
Kudos
Views