Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Can Money Buy Happiness?

Message 11 of 40

Many people wirh money are not happy.  But not having money causes enormous stress in individual's & families. So no simple answer here.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 40
I just about believe the same thing as you FredSmif. On a more personal level, the periods of my life where I felt financially insecure, happiness was definitely much harder to achieve when I struggled to afford basic necessities like food, housing and healthcare. Being able to financially afford basic necessities makes life more pleasant.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 40
too funny Bigelow!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 40

I don't believe so.  It can give the security that everyone deeply wants. It can buy material things that delight you at the time and you throw away. It can buy friendship.  There are plenty of people looking for a patsy for their living. You can buy false respect. Plenty of people do it. True happiness, no.  I lost my husband when I was 49, 20 years ago, never remarried, parents are gone, we could not have children, my last sister has pancreatic cancer, worked like the job was the most important job in the world, as I have every job I ever had. I had to work hard on myself to not become bitter.  I retired the end of 2018 at 68. I saved, still scared I will not have enough. But the one thing the new CEO wanted to know was "There are a lot of people here that think very highly of you. Why? My answer was, "If they do, it is because they knew I would always stick. I am a person you either love or dislike, no middle. But everyone of them knew I had their back. They could reach back without looking and know I would be there." Truth is earning that respect. My work collegues and friends and family have always known I was a stright shooter, no fake. They knew I was very able to tell them what they needed to know, not what they wanted to hear. That is happiness. I feel like I made a different in others lives. All the rest is trival. 

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 40

Hmm...perhaps IF it were distributed equally and fairly so no one is above or below?

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 40
Leave him. Take what you can and go. Sell things for money. Do whatever it takes. Life if too short to live with a liar that in the end will only do you harm.
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 40
Never, ever loan to children. If you can afford to give them a monetary gift, then do so and do it only as a gift and for the amount that you feel is appropriate and can afford. I have done this for my Son and his family due to a natural disaster. He did not ask me for a dime and I made the decision to give it to him and for an amount I was comfortable with.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 40

I HAVE NO FAMILY TO SPEAK ABOUT. I WAS A VICTIM BY MY PARENTS AS A CHILD SO I HAVE HAD A HARD LIFE AS AN ADULT.  THE MAN I'M MARRIED TO TRIES TO BUY MY LOVE BUT DOESN'T SHOW ME HE LOVES ME IN ANY OTHER WAY. WE HAVE BEEN MARRIED 22 YRS. N HE'S HAD AT LEAST 10AFFAIRS BUT HE STILL COMES BACK TO ME. I'M A VERY STRONG CHRISTIAN WOMAN I AM VERY CLOSE TO GOD SO I WON'T FILE FOR DIVORCE . I LOVE HIM NO MATTER WHAT HE DOES BC HE HAS STUCK BY ME THROUGH ALL MY SURGERIES N NO-ONE ELSE IN MY FAMILY HAS. I KNOW I SAY I'M NOT HAPPY THAT'S BC I'M SO SICK N HE'S THE REASON I'M SICK. I GUESS MAYBE HE MAY FEEL OBLIGATED TO STAY WITH ME.ANYWAY SOMETIMES HAPPINESS HAS TO BE WHAT YOU MAKE IT. I HATE MY SITUATION BUT I LOVE GOD N I'M STILL HERE.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 40
For me, I think money can buy happiness up to a point. Everyone needs a comfortable home that is in good condition, clothes, food, transportation and good health care. Having a bit more than you need can make some wants possible. After that, I don't think it can buy you happiness just to have more and more money.
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 40
I agree with you on this one.
Kudos
Views