Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Can Money Buy Happiness?

A host of new research has merged personal finance with positive psychology to show how certain spending habits can boost your happiness. Take our quiz to find out which types of spending bring the most joy.

What do you think? Can money buy happiness?

Hello,

Money does not buy happiness but it is a means to an end. Money is an object...void of feelings.  Happiness is within yourself. Happiness is love of and to family, friends and just plain enjoyment of life.  Money is not everything we need to be happy.  

Contributor

Money is an amazing tool. It concentrates power and makes it portable. It allows you to accumulate things that you want and get other people to do what you want. To some degree those are good things. But it is a small step from working hard to accumulate wealth to falling in love with the power it brings you. How do you know when you have enough? โ€œWhoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their incomeโ€ (Ecclesiastes 5:10). You know youโ€™re in trouble when money is at the core of what makes you feel safe and secure, when money is at the core of whether or not you feel that your life is a success, when money is at the core of your personal happiness. God made us to be connected in love to other people. Even more, God made us to find our greatest fulfillment, satisfaction, and happiness in loving and serving him first.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Money can only buy fleeting happiness!

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Hmm...perhaps IF it were distributed equally and fairly so no one is above or below?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I don't believe so.  It can give the security that everyone deeply wants. It can buy material things that delight you at the time and you throw away. It can buy friendship.  There are plenty of people looking for a patsy for their living. You can buy false respect. Plenty of people do it. True happiness, no.  I lost my husband when I was 49, 20 years ago, never remarried, parents are gone, we could not have children, my last sister has pancreatic cancer, worked like the job was the most important job in the world, as I have every job I ever had. I had to work hard on myself to not become bitter.  I retired the end of 2018 at 68. I saved, still scared I will not have enough. But the one thing the new CEO wanted to know was "There are a lot of people here that think very highly of you. Why? My answer was, "If they do, it is because they knew I would always stick. I am a person you either love or dislike, no middle. But everyone of them knew I had their back. They could reach back without looking and know I would be there." Truth is earning that respect. My work collegues and friends and family have always known I was a stright shooter, no fake. They knew I was very able to tell them what they needed to know, not what they wanted to hear. That is happiness. I feel like I made a different in others lives. All the rest is trival. 

Many people wirh money are not happy.  But not having money causes enormous stress in individual's & families. So no simple answer here.

Super Contributor

For me, I think money can buy happiness up to a point. Everyone needs a comfortable home that is in good condition, clothes, food, transportation and good health care. Having a bit more than you need can make some wants possible. After that, I don't think it can buy you happiness just to have more and more money.
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Money may buy you a huge mansion, a big car and lots of diamond jewelry, but happiness?  Probably not in "things". Better to find happiness in family and friends who love you as well as you love them  Happiness is an emotion that is sometimes elusive to people with wealth who look for material things to make them happy.

Periodic Contributor

I HAVE NO FAMILY TO SPEAK ABOUT. I WAS A VICTIM BY MY PARENTS AS A CHILD SO I HAVE HAD A HARD LIFE AS AN ADULT.  THE MAN I'M MARRIED TO TRIES TO BUY MY LOVE BUT DOESN'T SHOW ME HE LOVES ME IN ANY OTHER WAY. WE HAVE BEEN MARRIED 22 YRS. N HE'S HAD AT LEAST 10AFFAIRS BUT HE STILL COMES BACK TO ME. I'M A VERY STRONG CHRISTIAN WOMAN I AM VERY CLOSE TO GOD SO I WON'T FILE FOR DIVORCE . I LOVE HIM NO MATTER WHAT HE DOES BC HE HAS STUCK BY ME THROUGH ALL MY SURGERIES N NO-ONE ELSE IN MY FAMILY HAS. I KNOW I SAY I'M NOT HAPPY THAT'S BC I'M SO SICK N HE'S THE REASON I'M SICK. I GUESS MAYBE HE MAY FEEL OBLIGATED TO STAY WITH ME.ANYWAY SOMETIMES HAPPINESS HAS TO BE WHAT YOU MAKE IT. I HATE MY SITUATION BUT I LOVE GOD N I'M STILL HERE.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

;  Been there....done that....paying the price!!!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Seriously? She is supposed to wait until he decides to give her a divorce. I can agree about the praying, but she needs to take charge of her own life and find her own happiness. Condemning every divorced person as an adulterer if they find love again is wrong!
Regular Social Butterfly

@s804940b   No advice now.  

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I really did not misunderstand you. Mathew 5/31-Whoever divorces his wife give her a certificate of divorce. In other words, he makes that decision and gives her a certificate? The courts make all final decisions concerning divorce, not the husband. Mathew 5/32-He then causes her to commit adultery because of the divorce and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery. In other words, she cannot find happiness with anyone else. That is bad advice on any level.
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I have gone and removed my previous posts since it is nothing but bad advice.  I have walked a path similar from what is explained....been there, done that and paying the price.  I certainly meant no harm, bad advice or talking from a non-life experience.  Sorry to offend people.

@s804940b wrote:
I really did not misunderstand you. Mathew 5/31-Whoever divorces his wife give her a certificate of divorce. In other words, he makes that decision and gives her a certificate? The courts make all final decisions concerning divorce, not the husband. Mathew 5/32-He then causes her to commit adultery because of the divorce and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery. In other words, she cannot find happiness with anyone else. That is bad advice on any level.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I appreciate your thoughtful apology. People can be fragile and I suspect this person is. We have to be careful what we say. Quoting the Bible is never a good idea. There are too many interpretations of chapter and verse and if someone were to take it in a literal sense, the advice can be harmful.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I have PTSD because of my parents. I had to see a therapist and I will not go in to detail, but what he did gave me another level of anxiety and PTSD. My first husband was also a cheat and I did not even have an account in my name. I got out. I started working for a new company, got promoted, they grew and had two divisions. I took over the management of one and when they wanted out, I took over the entire company. I, too am a Christian woman. God does not want to shame us in to staying with a man who is abusing you and yes, affairs are mental abuse. Sell that junk he's buying your love with and get out. It is never too late to start living your life.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I HAVE nothing that's worth money he makes sure of that. Where would I go? 

No shelters? No money. No family , no friends. 

I HAVE MPD. ANXIETY TOO. I TOOK MYSELF OFF ALL THE MEDS. I WAS ON N I AM ON ALL NATURAL SUPPLEMENTS NOW.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Speak to your doctor about this. Also, are you able to live alone. Can you work. Can you get social security. There are a lot of missing details, but no one is tethered to another person. It is a choice. In your case, I suspect it is a hard choice since you do not believe in divorce. You are entitled to some of the marital property though and need to see an attorney. No state will leave you empty handed should you decide to end the marriage. His affairs would also influence the amount you would be awarded. There are shelters in every city. Go to your senior citizens center and ask. They can give you a lot of information about getting help based on what is going on.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

no I can't work!! I'm disabled in ssi. Very little income of 514.00 A month. I do have a car but not paid for yet. He's paying the payments n I'm paying for extended warranty.

I'm in my bed most of the time because I have peripheral neuropathy n unless he rubs my legs in the morning I'm stuck in bed for the day. He leaves me here purposely. I feel like it's medical neglect. He too gets SSDI n the gov. Has threatened to take away my check n Medicaid if we didn't get a divorce.  They said our income is too high. He stays at different address at night. He has a different address on record with them. He claims he still loves me but i don't love his type of love. I JUST want be happy again. I was hit by a train in 2004 n i have had 14 SURGERIES I died n went to heaven for 7 MINUTES.  God sent me back here he said he wanted me to do his work. So I have. God n heaven is real!!!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

It is medical abuse. You need to call Social Services. Tell them everything you have told us. He cannot take your check or your Medicaid. Social Services can arrange for physical therapy that you need for your legs. In the meantime, you need to start doing bed exercises and using your hands to massage your legs. Try to have social services show up just before he usually gets home in the morning. His abuse in leaving you there alone will then be documented. You have limited income to be sure, but there are resources out there. You have to start taking care of yourself. Make that call.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

i think you misunderstood me. I said the government said they will take my check away n my medicaid too.

We live apart for because of that reason.

I'm very sad because this home I'm in is full of mold n I'm getting sicker by the day. I HAVE no-one to help me. The social security people don't care about me. They want me off of my ssi.

I'm 52 years old n not really old enough to be on it. They took my husband's backpay for his ssi. They gave me very little backpay. Louisiana really sucks. I wish president trump knew how they were treating us. If I could get moved back to Texas it would make a difference in my health n happiness.  I JUST don't have a WAY to move there. Oh and no there are not any senior centers. I'm not a senior.there are not any shelters. 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Now that we know your age, it narrows down your choices. You are disabled and being neglected. If you are living separately to claim benefits it is going to be hard to get help without losing the benefits. I don't know all the details in your situation but if it were me, I would call the Department of Social Services. They can see to it that you have physical therapy, clean living conditions and food to eat. There are programs they can connect you with such as meals on wheels and some in home help.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'm not even elgible for food stamps. I Live in his relatives home. We have been taking care of it instead of paying rent. That's why my ssi check is so low, that n being married.  I know many couples they are doing this to. 

Spoiler

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I don't really know exactly what you want then. If you have no rent or mortgage to pay, your social security should go much further. If you want help for your disabilities, call social services. You are still low income. If you want help, you are going to have to be the one to make the first move. No one is going to know about you or your problems until you do.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yes and no. I've worked all my life and have saved enough to retire comfortably. The unhappy part of it is people use you. Both my daughters have borrowed and not repaid and I'm not talking $5.00. Both promised to pay back and neither has even been woman enough to say I'm sorry Mom. The way they handle it is by not talking to me at all. If you cannot pay back a family member money you owe, be adult enough to pick up the phone, apologize, and try to fix the problem. Ending relationships is not fair to anyone.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Never, ever loan to children. If you can afford to give them a monetary gift, then do so and do it only as a gift and for the amount that you feel is appropriate and can afford. I have done this for my Son and his family due to a natural disaster. He did not ask me for a dime and I made the decision to give it to him and for an amount I was comfortable with.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Perhaps not buy happiness, but you can sure rent the hell out of it.

Contributor

As my Dad used to say; "money can't buy happiness, but it's a lot easier to cry in the back of a limo than on a bicycle".  Smiley LOL

Yes, money CAN buy happiness. With enough money, bills (loans, mortgages, credit cards, etc.) can be paid off, new living spaces can be afforded, education can be furthered, employment can be changed, and travel experiences can be gained. Outside of our own personal happiness, money can be donated to worthy causes and charities or used to sponsor grants and scholarships -- all of which can create happiness in its recipients.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP