Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Bank checking accounts

Message 11 of 27 (946 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - I don't agree that credit cards are bad; I use them whenever I can (and if there's no excessive charge.) Smiley Happy

In one of those small world things, I Googled "Duncan Steele", to see if there was any connection to the name. There's a Duncan Steel who's a Brit. scientist .. and he comes from Midsomer Norton. And all the years I've watched "Midsomer Murders" on PBS, I thought the place name "Midsomer" was fictitious .. so they didn't a region a reputation for multiple murders!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 27 (942 Views)

Here in my county in SoCal - a fee is imposed when paying property taxes with a credit/debit card.  Twice a year, I pay mine electronically thru my bank's Bill Pay service, which pays it directly from the checking account - without any fee.  Also pay fed estimated taxes online thru EFTPS.  This is provided free thru the U.S. Treasury Dept.   Works quite well and no fees .

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 13 of 27 (940 Views)

@ASTRAEA

The idea that credit cards are bad is another gross exaggeration used to make the point that checks are not bad, either.

There's the similarity to this discussion, I think.  We were originally  asked  "does anyone out there still write checks?"  Not if checks were inherently bad or good, but do we still write checks since there are so many other methods of payment that are gaining in popularity.

Judging from the OP's stated use and the other responses, unless I am mistaken, everyone who answered had a history of writing checks while using other means of payment as well.

I definitely use credit and debit cards, pay bills online and even have checks written online to pay some semi-annually recurring charges.  I also have very good reasons to write checks out of personal checkbooks.  

The judicious use of various financial instruments has not yet excluded paper checks and even though they may eventually go the way of the dinosaur, there are still occasions when it may be the preferred or the only method of making a payment.  I am not about to "throw the baby out with the bathwater!"

For example, my hairdresser takes cash or check only.  At the end of the day, she may have done a number of expensive hair/beauty treatments on clients and if all of the transactions were paid for in cash, she feels somewhat nervous carrying such large amounts on her person  while taking it to the night deposit.  She won't leave it at her place of business, either.  It's her choice to make.  My choice is whether to carry large amounts of cash to pay her and other local merchants who do not accept credit cards either.  I choose to pay by check.  They all know me and how to come after me if my checks bounce...but they won't.  I keep a line of credit to forestall any issues that may arise from a temporary embarrassment of funds.

The question is an interesting one, but for now it is somewhat moot.  As the old saying goes, "there's more than one way to skin a cat!"  We are fortunate to be able to have a choice.

Speaking of skinning cats and all things macabre, "Midsomer Mysteries" has been one of my favorites for years...now I can delight in an interesting coincidence.  I think the name Duncan Steel is used in some online & video games.  That's Steel without the "e."  Whatever, it was a clever, if broadly exaggerated, commentary on the viewpoint of some that check-writing is charmingly anachronistic.     Woman Frustrated   Pardon me while I open my parasol, as I am about to take the air in my garden...Woman Very Happy

Young Lady with Parasol - 1910 - Karl Albert Buehr (German painter):

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 14 of 27 (933 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - While I was working & for a while after I retired, I'd carry my checkbook in my handbag all the time. But when the supermarket & so many other stores set up charge machines you could scan yourself at check-out, I switched over to credit card .. and left my checkbook at home. Now I use it when individual service providers don't take charge.

And I don't use my charge number, unless I can process the transaction right online .. I don't like putting the information on a statement, that the office staff have to process .. and then it sits in an unlocked file drawer for years!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 27 (931 Views)
Anyone else out there still write checks?

I only write checks when I have to. I use my TD Ameritrade Credit card and get 1.65% back on all charges. It adds up...like today I will pay all my Insurance ...car, home and excess liability. ....save over $20. I do pay my credit card bill off in full as soon as I get it.

Last time I put a check in our mail box and put the flag up the mail was stolen...people were going around and took mail from boxes with the flags up...they "white washed" the check...with a persons name and changed the amount of the check to over $400..when they tried to cash it the teller called me and she did not cash the check..I picked it up and turned the check it over to our police...they caught the group...I will never put mail in my mail box again.

Message 16 of 27 (927 Views)

@KidBoy2 - Nice to see you venture out of Politics & Current Events! Smiley Happy

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 27 (913 Views)

@KidBoy2  Glad to see you out and about on the other forums!

It sounds like you fall into the same category as the rest of us do.  We still write checks but not that often and only under strictly specified circumstances.

That mailbox episode sounds nerve-wracking!  I have never had a problem with a check getting into the wrong hands, but last spring about this time, I had my American Express card number "harvested" from Verizon by cyber-crooks in Turkey.  They attempted to make online purchases but AmEx was on the ball and called me immediately and I also received an instantaneous text alerting me to the problem.  AmEx took care of everything and I didn't miss a beat.  They FedEx'd a new card which I received the next afternoon and no charges ever made it onto my account.

I'm 3/4 of the way across the country from you and I can tell you that there are a lot of mailbox pilferers around here.  I am very careful where I post my mail...and I don't leave it for the mail carrier.  It seems that no matter what people do to protect themselves, the dishonest folks seem to always be one "jump" ahead!

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 27 (907 Views)

Prosecco6247 wrote:

@ASTRAEA

The idea that credit cards are bad is another gross exaggeration used to make the point that checks are not bad, either.

There's the similarity to this discussion, I think.  We were originally  asked  "does anyone out there still write checks?"  Not if checks were inherently bad or good, but do we still write checks since there are so many other methods of payment that are gaining in popularity.

Judging from the OP's stated use and the other responses, unless I am mistaken, everyone who answered had a history of writing checks while using other means of payment as well.

I definitely use credit and debit cards, pay bills online and even have checks written online to pay some semi-annually recurring charges.  I also have very good reasons to write checks out of personal checkbooks.  

The judicious use of various financial instruments has not yet excluded paper checks and even though they may eventually go the way of the dinosaur, there are still occasions when it may be the preferred or the only method of making a payment.  I am not about to "throw the baby out with the bathwater!"

For example, my hairdresser takes cash or check only.  At the end of the day, she may have done a number of expensive hair/beauty treatments on clients and if all of the transactions were paid for in cash, she feels somewhat nervous carrying such large amounts on her person  while taking it to the night deposit.  She won't leave it at her place of business, either.  It's her choice to make.  My choice is whether to carry large amounts of cash to pay her and other local merchants who do not accept credit cards either.  I choose to pay by check.  They all know me and how to come after me if my checks bounce...but they won't.  I keep a line of credit to forestall any issues that may arise from a temporary embarrassment of funds.

The question is an interesting one, but for now it is somewhat moot.  As the old saying goes, "there's more than one way to skin a cat!"  We are fortunate to be able to have a choice.

Speaking of skinning cats and all things macabre, "Midsomer Mysteries" has been one of my favorites for years...now I can delight in an interesting coincidence.  I think the name Duncan Steel is used in some online & video games.  That's Steel without the "e."  Whatever, it was a clever, if broadly exaggerated, commentary on the viewpoint of some that check-writing is charmingly anachronistic.     Woman Frustrated   Pardon me while I open my parasol, as I am about to take the air in my garden...Woman Very Happy

Hey Prosecco - Your picture reminds me of A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte  - which has aways intrigued me.  Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 27 (901 Views)

wilful wrote:

Here in my county in SoCal - a fee is imposed when paying property taxes with a credit/debit card.  Twice a year, I pay mine electronically thru my bank's Bill Pay service, which pays it directly from the checking account - without any fee.  Also pay fed estimated taxes online thru EFTPS.  This is provided free thru the U.S. Treasury Dept.   Works quite well and no fees .

Same here. I also use bill pay (for free) to pay when the government charges an extra fee to process a credit card transaction.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 27 (884 Views)

wilful wrote:

Hey Prosecco - Your picture reminds me of A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte  - which has aways intrigued me.  Smiley Happy

@wilful  It must be the parasol!  I have always been smitten by the "Impressionists! " Like you, I'm attracted to the work of Georges Seurat.  The painting above is called "Red-Headed Girl With Parasol" and is the work of Karl Albert Beuhr, a German-born artist who lived in Chicago.  He started working at a lithograph company near The Art Institute of Chicago and was drawn to the art.  He eventually studied and later taught there.  Seurat's painting of "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" hangs in the Art Institute...Buehr would have had ample opportunity to study and appreciate it.  You say you are in SoCal...have you ever been to The Art Institute of Chicago to see the painting?  It's on my list...I have a daughter who lives there but I've never been able to take the time to go when I was visiting.  You are right...it is intriguing... the artist, the style and the subject matter all make it so.