AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Bank checking accounts

Message 21 of 27

My town used to have an online and/or automatic property tax bill pay system, but they discontinued it just a few years after I moved in.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 27
@Prosecco6247 -

"You say you are in SoCal...have you ever been to The Art Institute of Chicago to see the painting?"

No, I haven't. Next time I'm in Chicago - I shall do that.

I just scanned thru a bunch of Beuhr's works. It's easy to see his evolving technique. Some of his - I didn't care for. The one of his I like the most is the Red-Headed Girl With Parasol. I think the subject was his sister.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 23 of 27

I agree also. I've noticed I hardly write checks anymore. I use my bank's online bill payment to pay most of the monthly bills. 

I then use my debit card for other times. I hardly carry money anymore. 

It's kind of funny to me that once in awhile I see someone in the grocery store writing out a check. 

Chloe
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 27

@grandmachloe  Yes, standing in line at the grocery store watching someone write  check seems so "quaint" now, doesn't it?  Woman Wink

Check-writing is fading out, but there's still a need for them from time-to-time.  I wonder how many more years before we are a "cashless" society?  Like you, I rarely carry money around any more.  Would we have been thinking about such a phenomenon ten years ago?  Hard to believe!

It's good to see you exploring the AARP forums, Chloe!  I'm sure our paths will cross frequently as you discover other forums that pique your interests!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 27

My mom just turned 75 yesterday. She received a notice from Bank of America, instead of a birthday card. The notice said that after being a valued client for 45 years, they are going to start charging her $25 a month for her checking account fee! She has her Social Security check automatically deposited, so they know she doesn't have a huge amount of money coming in, and told her that if she deposits $5,000, they will waive the fee. She is planning on leaving them and changing banks, after all this time with them. As a matter of fact, she's been with them since she was eighteen,and worked for Security First National Bank, which became Security Pacific Bank, which was bought out by Bank of America. She was a customer all those years! They are taking advantage of the poor and the elderly who need a bank account to cash their checks, and pay their bills! Shame on B of A!

Marion M. Wright
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 27

@m605053w - You might want to check with the bank yourself, because some have multiple types of accounts, some without any fees or high balance requirements .. especially for seniors who don't have that many transactions.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 27 of 27

@m605053w, isn't it shocking when these things happen?  I had a similar situation happen to me.  The ban was BB&T (Branch Bank & Trust) which is a large bank headquartered in NC, but doing business in other states, mainly in the southeastern United States.

Their problem with me?  They also wanted me to have a sizable account with them, which I didn't want to do because I have my investments with another financial institution.  I needed a regular bank for the everyday banking transactions they offer, plus the availability of a safe deposit box.  I could escape that requirement if I had a mortgage with them.   I did, but it didn't meet the the size requirements...in other words, if you have large investments with us or you have a sizable mortgage, we'll keep you on without assessing an outrageous service fee.  It doesn't matter if you are a senior and banked with us all of your adult life...we are under no obligation to show you that same loyalty.  Hmmmm...well, okay then!  Close my account.  Today!

I solved my problem by joining a local credit union.  They pay me for keeping my money there...no minimum amount required.  The fees for safe deposit boxes & certain other banking services are much less.  I pay for having my checks printed and that's about it. They treat me better, no hassles nor unexpected fees.  I can use my debit card at other credit unions to withdraw money.  If I am not near one, I simply go into a grocery store, buy a couple of items and use the cashback feature to secure cash if I need it.  I have a credit card through the credit union, the fees are much less and I have a high credit limit available.  I carry a line of credit at the CU...easy to access, very low interest.  After several years, I am very happy over all.  Your mom might try that method if it's available to her.  Good luck to you both!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.