AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Auto

Message 1 of 10

I want to insure myself as the driver and not a vehicle. I don't own a car but drive alot for other people. Surely this is possible!?

Report Inappropriate Content
Regular Social Butterfly

Re: Auto

Message 2 of 10

That is such a great question! Thank you for asking as that may be what I need in the very near future.

Eons ago there was a state (I want to say Oregon but not 100% sure) that actually required insurance on the driver (e.g., having a Drivers' License required insurance) before states required car insurance.

I'll be very interested in some insurance professionals responding.

Thanks, again!

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 10

Non-owner insurance.

"...If you borrow someone's car and crash it, the vehicle owner's car insurance pays out first, and if it's not enough to cover damages, your non-owner policy would then pay out as secondary coverage – provided your policy’s liability limit is high enough. For the non-owner policy to kick in as secondary coverage, its liability limit has to be higher than the car owner’s liability limit.

For instance, if the car owner's liability limit is $10,000 for property damage, and you cause $17,000 in property damage in an accident, your non-owner insurance would cover only the last $7,000 – provided your liability limit is at least $17,000.

Remember, however, that this pays for the car that you hit, not your friend’s car or your rental vehicle. A non-owner policy doesn’t include collision coverage, so it won’t cover repairs to the vehicle you were driving....".

If you do this, be very sure of what is covered, what is not, who is liable, and for how much.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 10

Thanks, retiredtraveler, but do you know if there is a policy you can buy if you do not own a vehicle, just to cya if you drive someone else's car...

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 10

"...Thanks, retiredtraveler, but do you know if there is a policy you can buy if you do not own a vehicle, just to cya if you drive someone else's car....".

That's what I posted. It's called non-owner insurance. The posting stated what you have to watch for if you purchase it. You can't, as a non-owner, have all the insurance on you. It's always going to go back to the owner of the vehicle first. You have to be sure of your coverage so you are indemnified properly.

The main thing is you have to know how the coverage works if you're in the worst case scenario --- driving someone else's car, with permission, but you maime or kill someone. What is the car owner liability, what is yours as a non-owner. Who would get sued?

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 10

Thanks! I didn't read your first post correctly; my bad.

Thanks again!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 10
I'd just like to get auto insurance from The Hartford, but can't. Quote system doesn't work (tried 5 times) and it finally said that The Hartford can't insure me. What the hell? No accidents, ever, no tickets for over 30 years, never had a claim nor a lapse in insurance. I want my money back for subscribing to AARP!! It's a rip-off!!
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 10

neilm224581 wrote:
I'd just like to get auto insurance from The Hartford, but can't. Quote system doesn't work (tried 5 times) and it finally said that The Hartford can't insure me. What the hell? No accidents, ever, no tickets for over 30 years, never had a claim nor a lapse in insurance. I want my money back for subscribing to AARP!! It's a rip-off!!

@neilm224581 Ugh. I hate it when that happens.

AARP doesn't control The Hartford, it should be noted. They just take money from them so that TH can solicit business from AARP members. (a smelly arrangement, I think)

Anyway, The Hartford turned us down for homeowner's insurance a few years ago. They didn't have any idea how to insure our attached greenhouse. They couldn't beat State Farm on autos because we've been with SF for years and get all manner of discount.

So I say you are better off with another insurer. And it is wise to take AARP advertiser offers/claims with a truck load of salt and even more skepticism. Smiley Happy

Best wishes.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 10

neilm224581 wrote:
I want my money back for subscribing to AARP!! It's a rip-off!!

You hit the nail on the head. There are but a few benefits of AARP where those benefits can't be secured somewhere else, usually at no cost, and usually a better benefit. This applies to their discounts, and especially, their sponsored connected companies, like The Hartford.

Contact an independent agent, if they are worth their salt, they will find the best policies for your particular situation.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 10

Also remember that there are restrictions with this type of policy relating to:

(1) The driving of a vehicle for business purposes.

(2) The driving of a vehicle of someone you live with.

(3) The driving of the same vehicle over prolonged period of time

In some ways, this type policy sounds like it is more trouble than it is worth.