Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Ask The Expert: Tax Prep and Saving Your Refund

Retired Community Manager

Ask The Expert: Tax Prep and Saving Your Refund

Thanks for joining us! Post a reply below for a chance to have your questions answered now through April 13th. [notice: This event is extended thru Monday, April 20.]

AARP Foundation staff and volunteers from the Foundation’s Tax-Aide program will answer your questions about Tax-Aide, saving your refund, and preparing to file your Federal return under the extended deadline of July 15. Please note: Our experts will not be answering individual tax questions.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Sold house. Neighbor gave false info to buyer. He reneged, the attorney has kept his deposit. Can we declare the loss of over $30,000. as a real estate loss.

Also, we have had to pay additional monies for fuel, lawn and garden care, plumbing care (winterizing home and reopening it in spring).  We no olonger live in the area where this house is still for sale.  What repercussions do we have against the falsehoods that the neighbor gave? He has since moved to Florida. 

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello, @SusanW931723 

You wrote:

Sold house. Neighbor gave false info to buyer. He reneged, the attorney has kept his deposit. Can we declare the loss of over $30,000. as a real estate loss.

Also, we have had to pay additional monies for fuel, lawn and garden care, plumbing care (winterizing home and reopening it in spring).  We no olonger live in the area where this house is still for sale.  What repercussions do we have against the falsehoods that the neighbor gave? He has since moved to Florida. 

We are not sure how you determine you lost over $30,000. If this was the deposit you did not receive, it was not a loss, but anticipated income you did not receive. If you have further explanation, please advise. If you DO receive all or part of that deposit, it will be taxable income.

Also, losses on personal property are not tax deductible. For instance if you showed a loss on the sale of your home. You can find this and more information in IRS Publication 523: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf

IRS Publication 523 will also explain what expenses you may deduct ONCE YOUR HOME HAS SOLD.

If you had rented out the home, rental property issues are outside the scope of our volunteer training, so we are unable to assist you. We suggest you review IRS Publication 527 – Residential Rental property for more information: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf or seek assistance from a tax professional.

Your issue with your neighbor would be a civil matter, which also is out of scope for our TaxAide volunteers.

Gold Conversationalist

Talk with a lawyer (maybe a civil lawyer, not real estate lawyer). Sounds like you have grounds for a suit. That will follow neighbor to Florida.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@SusanW931723 

What does your realtor advise?

0 Kudos

where do I get federal income tax forms

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@CarlS811813 wrote:

At this link:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hi @CarlS811813 -

In normal times, many libraries and post offices offer free tax forms to taxpayers during the tax filing season. Given that many libraries are closed and we're practicing social distancing, we suggest you go to https://www.irs.gov/ where there are links to the various forms and schedules and instructions.

@CarlS811813 wrote:

Contributor

Quote- 

If you do not receive Social Security benefits and otherwise qualify for the stimulus, and if you cannot access information you previously entered (SSN not found), it is possible you entered your SSN incorrectly. You might try filing again. Be sure you are using the IRS site to do so, as some fraudulent sites have appeared.  

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd/EconomicImpactPayment

Not TRUE! I checked my SSNumber and it is correct. I printed a copy of what I emailed in from that site. Things have changed. A friend filed and 4 hours later her account was rejected! 

This is what came out today!!!! I can't find what I wrote to you and it said I could not reply to your or whoever answered email. There was no name! 

SSI Recipients Will Now Get Coronavirus Payments Automatically

The Trump administration has again waived the tax return requirement for beneficiaries of certain government programs — this time, it’s Supplemental Security Income.

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello, @NicoleP663199 

We understand you are frustrated, but it might be better for you to contact us through our forum. You can be more specific about your situation and we might be able to answer you better. 

https://taxaideqa.aarp.org/hc/en-us/requests/new

In your question, please indicate whether you receive Social Security or SSI benefits, if you have any other income that might require you to file a return, or if you are without income at all. 

We want to be clear that if you are not required to file a tax return, but you DO receive Social Security, SSI, or VA benefits, your Economic Impact Payment will be sent automatically the same way you receive your benefit. The IRS has released guidance that these will be sent in May.

We have no training, however, on the way the "Get Your Payment" and the "Non-Filers: Enter Payment Here" tools on the IRS website.

You wrote:

Not TRUE! I checked my SSNumber and it is correct. I printed a copy of what I emailed in from that site. Things have changed. A friend filed and 4 hours later her account was rejected! 

This is what came out today!!!! I can't find what I wrote to you and it said I could not reply to your or whoever answered email. There was no name! 

willthe program resume for for those whose appointments were canceled because of the " stay at home  "?

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

@s815498d wrote:

willthe program resume for for those whose appointments were canceled because of the " stay at home  "?

Unfortunately, at this time, we have no idea whether or not our in-person services will be able to be resumed this year, so we can't tell you if your appointment will be rescheduled or if you will be able to schedule a new appointment yourself.  

Many factors will affect when and whether our sites will be able to reopen, including the general progression of the COVID-19 virus crisis, the availability of volunteers and volunteer leaders, and the availability of host sites.  Tax-Aide leadership is currently looking at potential alternative service delivery methods, but we don't know when or if any of these alternatives can be deployed.

You can check our site locator page for updates on any resumption of Tax-Aide services.

Given this uncertainty, you may wish to consider other ways to complete your 2019 tax return.  Depending on your income, you may be eligible to use one of the IRS Free File options at https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free .  MyFreeTaxes.com is another alternative offering free filing for those who qualify.

If you don't qualify for a Free File software option, you can use IRS Free File Fillable Forms to electronically file; this option is available from the Free File page.  There are also paid versions of commercial tax software available, or you may seek a professional preparer in your area. Note that we are explicitly prohibited from referring taxpayers to specific tax service providers, tax attorneys, CPAs or other professionals. The IRS has a useful article concerning how to screen a tax professional if you elect to use one: https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/choosing-a-tax-professional

Will my appt get rescheduled, it was cancelled due to covid-19 in mid march? Since new date is July 15.

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

@c922505w wrote:

Will my appt get rescheduled, it was cancelled due to covid-19 in mid march? Since new date is July 15.

Hello, @c922505w 

Unfortunately, at this time, we have no idea whether or not our in-person services will be able to be resumed this year, so we can't tell you if your appointment will be rescheduled or if you will be able to schedule a new appointment yourself.  

Many factors will affect when and whether our sites will be able to reopen, including the general progression of the COVID-19 virus crisis, the availability of volunteers and volunteer leaders, and the availability of host sites.  Tax-Aide leadership is currently looking at potential alternative service delivery methods, but we don't know when or if any of these alternatives can be deployed.

You can check our site locator page for updates on any resumption of Tax-Aide services.

Given this uncertainty, you may wish to consider other ways to complete your 2019 tax return.  Depending on your income, you may be eligible to use one of the IRS Free File options at https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free .  MyFreeTaxes.com is another alternative offering free filing for those who qualify.

If you don't qualify for a Free File software option, you can use IRS Free File Fillable Forms to electronically file; this option is available from the Free File page.  There are also paid versions of commercial tax software available, or you may seek a professional preparer in your area. Note that we are explicitly prohibited from referring taxpayers to specific tax service providers, tax attorneys, CPAs or other professionals. The IRS has a useful article concerning how to screen a tax professional if you elect to use one: https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/choosing-a-tax-professional

Contributor

So I was told AARP will not be doing individuals taxes this year.  Any suggestions as to where to go?  Can't afford $200 + to get them done. 

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello, @nl52936331 

@nl52936331 wrote:

So I was told AARP will not be doing individuals taxes this year.  Any suggestions as to where to go?  Can't afford $200 + to get them done. 

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide leaders are currently looking at potential alternative service delivery methods, but we don't know when or if any of these alternatives can be deployed.

We can't recommend any specific products or providers of tax services.  

Depending on your income, you may be eligible to use one of the IRS Free File options at https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free . MyFreeTaxes.com also offers free filing if you qualify. If you don't qualify for a Free File software option, you can use IRS Free File Fillable Forms to electronically file; this option is available from the Free File page. 

There are also paid versions of commercial tax software available if you don't qualify to use the free versions - most of those will be significantly less than $200.

Contributor

Hello,

My name is Chris.

I am not good enough in English, so I am posting this with Google Translator.

I haven't received tax refunds for 2018 and 2019 until 04-10-2020 today.

I filed a tax return through an accountant, and the IRS sent me a letter,

and I couldn't find out what the letter was about. So I went to my accountant and

showed him a letter, and he said I had to write a letter to the IRS and send it to him,

so I asked for a $ 200 fee and just returned. After that,

I asked a friend to visit the IRS office with my friend,

but when I heard that I had to make a reservation,

I turned around and returned home.

I tried to make a reservation by phone, but my friend was too busy to help me.
This year's 2019 tax report tells the accountant that he / she hasn't received

a tax refund for 2018 in February 7th, 2020 through another accountant.

I said I would give it, but now the situation of Coronavirus makes me

unable to do anything.

I still haven't received a tax refund for 2018 or 2019.
So I ask AARP officials and members for help.
Thank you for reading the long story, I hope you can help me.
Again, I don't speak English,

so please understand that I'm posting this post using Google Translator.
Thanks for reading the long article.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Since I have done estimated tax payments for many years I wonder if the estimated tax payment due on 4/15/20 and the one due 6/15/20 can be delayed until 7/15/20?  Can you answer this question?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello @JudithK835210 

@JudithK835210 wrote:

Since I have done estimated tax payments for many years I wonder if the estimated tax payment due on 4/15/20 and the one due 6/15/20 can be delayed until 7/15/20?  Can you answer this question?  Thank you.

The IRS announced on April 9 that both first-quarter and second-quarter 2020 estimated income tax payments are now due by July 15, 2020.

Super Contributor

I was told that all of what is owed can be paid on July 15th., by H & R Block.
0 Kudos
Contributor

We had an appointment to get our taxes done on 3/30/20 but, because of the virus, were told location sites were closed until further notice.  Since the filing deadline has been extended to July 15th, will these sites be preparing taxes for those who were unable to fulfill appts once these sites are reopened, hopefully well before this extention.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hi @l132970c ,

@l132970c wrote:

We had an appointment to get our taxes done on 3/30/20 but, because of the virus, were told location sites were closed until further notice.  Since the filing deadline has been extended to July 15th, will these sites be preparing taxes for those who were unable to fulfill appts once these sites are reopened, hopefully well before this extention.

Unfortunately, we aren't able to tell you whether or not Tax-Aide sites will be able to reopen before July 15th.  Many factors will affect when and whether our sites will be able to reopen, including the general progression of the COVID-19 virus crisis, the availability of volunteers and volunteer leaders, and the availability of host sites.  Tax-Aide leadership is currently looking at potential alternative service delivery methods, but we don't know when or if any of these alternatives can be deployed.

You can check our site locator page for updates on any resumption of Tax-Aide services.

Given this uncertainty, you may wish to consider other ways to complete your 2019 tax return.  Depending on your income, you may be eligible to use one of the IRS Free File options at https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free .  If you don't qualify for a Free File software option, you can use IRS Free File Fillable Forms to electronically file; this option is available from the Free File page.  There are also paid versions of commercial tax software available, or you may seek a professional preparer in your area. Note that we are explicitly prohibited from referring taxpayers to specific tax service providers, tax attorneys, CPAs or other professionals. The IRS has a useful article concerning how to screen a tax professional if you elect to use one: https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/choosing-a-tax-professional

0 Kudos
Contributor

I know that the tax deadline for filing has been extended to July 15th, but has the date for paying the first quarter declaration of taxes also been extended, and then how about the following three quarters?

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello, @hshs 

You wrote:

I know that the tax deadline for filing has been extended to July 15th, but has the date for paying the first quarter declaration of taxes also been extended, and then how about the following three quarters?

Your estimated taxes for the first and second quarter, normally due April 15 and June 15, respectively, are both due July 15. The IRS has not yet addressed the issue beyond these quarters.

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello @hshs ,

@hshs wrote:

Yes, the date for making the quarterly estimated tax payment for the first quarter of 2020 has been extended from April 15 to July 15 as has the second quarter payment normally due June 15.

The situation is fluid, so we suggest you check this IRS page periodically for updates and announcements regarding tax relief for the COVID-19 health crisis:  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello, @ChrisN914359 ,

Basically, your issue is that you have not received your tax refund for both tax year 2018 and 2019.  You also stated that you received a notice from the IRS to which you have not yet responded. 

The fact that you did not respond to the IRS notice is probably what has delayed your refund(s).  Unfortunately, Tax-Aide is not able to assist you with this issue.

Since you can neither call the IRS nor visit one of it Taxpayer Assistance Centers during the current coronavirus health emergency, you will need to wait until the IRS resumes its taxpayer assistance services to resolve your problem.  You can check this page periodically for updates on IRS telephone assistance.

In the meantime, you can do some research yourself to determine how to respond to the IRS.  Look at the notice that you received from them and find the letter or notice number at either the top right or bottom right corner of the notice - it will start with either CP or LTR.  You can then input this into the search box on this IRS page to get more information about the particular letter or notice:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-irs-notice-or-letter

We can provide some more private assistance in researching this issue if you submit a question that includes the letter or notice number and whatever additional information you can provide to our Online Tax Assistance forum.  Go to https://taxaideqa.aarp.org/hc/en-us and click on the Submit a Request link on the right side of the page.

Contributor

If there isn't going to be any tax aide appointments will there be phone in help? 

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hi @marys109608 

As of now, Tax-Aide is not engaging in alternate delivery of tax services (e.g., drop-off services, telephone assistance, etc.) Although we recognize the strong desire to employ other ways to serve taxpayers in our communities, the program must operate and remain within program scope and program policy especially regarding the security of taxpayer personal information.

Tax-Aide is currently exploring other service options and will communicate this information if they are approved internally and by the IRS.

Updates about the resumption of Tax-Aide services will be posted on our site locator page.

In the meantime, taxpayers can visit IRS’s free tax filing service at https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free .

@marys109608 wrote:

If there isn't going to be any tax aide appointments will there be phone in help? 

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

@RAMaymi, can you share with participants the current status of the Tax-Aide program?

0 Kudos
Contributor

i had an appt. in april; but it was cancelled due coronavirus. Will it be re- scheduled before July 15?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP