Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 41 of 50

I am still using Personal Checks to pay my Tithes and Offerings for church). I periodically send my parents (93 & 89) a check.  I've tried helping my parents sent up onliine payments, however my Dad (93) prefers getting his bills in the mail and personally write out his check. They do not utilize technology, even though they have I-Pads.  I also pay my gardener by check. In the past year, I've had 3 small independent contractors (1 or 2 man operations) and they preferred check payments. For my college aged nephews, I purchase prepaid Credit Cards, rather than sending cash or checks. I'm always checking my bank accounts daily. If I see something untoward, I will immediately contact the bank and have it resolved. I also have put in safeguards, i.e. Freezing my credit and Identity Alerts. To unfreeze for large purchases such as a car, I will contact the credit agency, unfreeze for 1 day or for 1 merchant, by name (car dealership) and after the purchase is approved, immediately place the freeze back on. If I purchase online, I check to see if its a secure site. I also use security software on my computer. I am diligent in protecting my information.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 50

I am still using Personal Checks for some things. For instance, I write a check for my Tithes & Offerings to church. Periodically, I will send my parents a check. They are 93 and 89. My Dad (93) prefers receiving his bills in the mail and then personally writing out the check for payment. I tried to set them up with online bill pay, however my Dad takes pride in doing his own bookkeeping.

I pay my DMV fees at the local AAA office and they only accept checks or cash, therefore check it is. My gardener is also paid by check. I have had 3 independent contracts, (1 or 2 man operations) and they too prefer check or cash as they are not set up for automatic payments.

When giving money to my other family members, my college-aged nephews, for instance, I will purchase a Prepaid Credit Card for the amount I'm giving them.

I have several security measures in place. I do check my balances on a daily basis. If I see anything untoward, I immediately will contact the bank and have it resolved. I also have put a "Freeze" on my credit so no one can use my credit. I also have placed "Identity Alerts" on my credit and accounts. If I need to do a large purchase, such as buying a car, I will contact the credit agency, have the Freeze removed for 24 hours or will give the merchant's company name, i.e. car dealership. This way, only the dealer can receive my credit rating. Immediately after completing the purchase, I have the Freeze restored.

I track auto-payments. This has helped with one vendor (Netflix) when I discovered they had received 2 payments during the month. The vendor apologized and returned the second payment within 3 days.

I have pretty stringent security measures in place. I only purchase online from secured sites. I will sometimes use pay-pal as well, depending on a company's policies or by request. Another good practice is not to use the same passwords for accounts, do not use 1234 and change passwords periodically. I stay alert as much as I possibly can while encouraging my friends and family members to be vigilant. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 50

Additionally, many banks have online bill pay services that pay, either electronically or, for smaller businesses and individuals, by paper check. There are no fees for these services at all, including no postage charges. Once set up it is much faster than paying by credit card and you can pay several bills with one visit to one website.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 50

What's a check?  In Europe they do not even have checks.  I do not write checks, but my wife does because her friends are dinosaurs and won't use modern technology.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 50

Yes

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 50

no

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 50

Yes, I am.  What is the problem with doing so?  I don't know. Carol E.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 50

Prefer using the internet but tithe with checks.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 50

no

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 50
Yes, I do the same checking my bank account daily on-line. Thanks for sharing.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors